• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Boston Marathon 2012 weather?

klw

Dude that is a myth. There are numerous studies out there that show distance running is not harmful to knees. You need to read up on that before making those types of comments. It's the weightlifters that need to worry. They have no fitness level and no cardio. They bulk up and then as they age all the muscle turns to fat and you end up sloppy and fat with no level of fitness

I have only posted on this forum a handful of times but I am an active reader. Your post and the information you are attempting to spread is about as far from the truth as you can get. Just as you can't magically turn fat into muscle - you cannot turn your muscle into fat. You're grossly misinformed. A muscular person who stops lifting weights will slowly lose muscle over time. It does not turn into fat. You would most likely put on a higher percentage of fat if you continue eating at a grueling pace without working out. The entire process is really very simple. If someone stops lifting weights and also stops eating at the caloric intake that they were while lifting, they will lose weight. With this weight loss will come both a loss of fat and muscle. Without lifting weights, said person will succumb to the effects of aging much quicker. Your body begins to lose muscle mass. Sarcopenia begins as early as 20-25 in males but increases much quicker after the age of 60. As this happens, your muscles are used less frequently and you begin to lose muscle. This can all be combated and slowed through the process of weight lifting. However, as soon as an aging individual stops lifting they will begin to lose muscle mass due to the decrease in the use of muscle.

This is true for all people - weightlifting or long distance running. To say a weightlifter will become fat when they stop working out is moronic. Its no more true than stating a runner will become fat after he stops running. It is all a factor of aging and, at the very least, individuals who lift heavier weights throughout their life will have a higher percentage of muscle mass compared to anyone (ie: runners).

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran for decades, knees had minor problems that resolved with proper training. Ultimately what stopped me in my early 60s were my feet and back which started bothering me. Still, most my age have far more aches and pains.

Good luck Kevin. Boston was always a goal for me but it never happened.

From what I've heard you cannot just run the Boston with no number.. They don't allow that..and yank anyone with no number off the course.

I ran boston in 2005 without a number. I snuck into one of the starting blocks with a friend of mine who had qualified and no one looked or said anything to me at all. It's just way too many people and too much chaos going on for them to pick people out. They may have changed how heavily they police things in recent years but they would literally have to plow through a ton of people to pull you out of the race and I don't see that being possible unless they want to injure a bunch of other runners.

On the other hand though you could run with one of the fund raising teams and get a number that way by raising money instead of getting a qualifying time.

Ouch, it could be ugly

MONDAY AND TUESDAY...THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY HERE THOUGH THE MODELS HAVE COME INTO MORE OF AN AGREEMENT ON THIS TIMEFRAME. AS STATED ABOVE...BOTH MODELS BRING THE COLD FRONT ONLY AS FAR SOUTH AS NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THIS KEEPS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND ON THE WARM SIDE OF THE FRONT WITH THE WARMING TREND SEEN OVER THE WEEKEND CONTINUING. THE LATEST ECMWF RUN INDICATES TEMPERATURES COULD BE WELL INTO THE UPPER 80S MONDAY...WHICH WOULD SET RECORDS AT BOSTON /84 IN 2003/ AND WORCESTER /84 IN 2002/. IT WOULD NEAR OR PERHAPS TIE RECORDS IN PROVIDENCE /88 IN 2003/ AND HARTFORD /90 IN 2002/. TUESDAYS TEMPERATURES SHOULD BE VERY CLOSE TO MONDAYS...THOUGH THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY FOR A FEW SHOWERS TUESDAY. WILL BE KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON THIS FORECAST THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

I remember the Marathon in 1976. Temps approaching 100 before the sea breeze knocked it down to 50 seemingly instantaneously. My friend ran it and looked to be near death coming up heartbreak hill. He's 75 now and hasn't run since that race.

That summer was cool and the winter that followed was brutally cold. Nature finds a way to equillobrate..

As expected the heat is having a major impact on the race this year. The women's race is very slow compared with the other recent years.

Last year's winner and record holder with an amazing 2:03 time had to be carted off the course around mile 16 for suspected heat related problems.

• 11 months later...

Last years race was pretty cool.  UML's Met program was asked to record meteorological data during the race.  I was stationed inside the media center as relay to anyone who wanted to know what the weather was like.  The highest temp we recorded was 89 just before the station signed off between noon and 1 pm.  It is my guess that a 90 degree reading was achieved somewhere on the raceway.

...Most runners injury themselves through improper training techniques and poor core strength....

I was overheating in the Ice Marathon this year in Antartica and its was 5 degrees.

(1) Exactly.  

(2) Hey!  My brother's daughter worked there this winter and probably ran in that race... were you in the rabbit costume or what?   She's off to Alaska to work now... kids these days, no sense of adventure or nuttin. 

Edit: I don't know what year it is.  I just noticed your post date.  Time warp. 

A little warm for running with dews into the low 50's but all in all pretty ideal for a marathon

A lot has changed since this lol. Marathon Monday is going to be ideal running weather with temps in the 50's early on and rising to upper 50's and perhaps 60 by early afternoon, and dews in the 30's. I'd want it to be in the 50's if I were running but still a nice looking day on the way. Still tons of uncertainty for Tuesday and Wednesday, especially when you compare the GFS and Euro. Euro calling for a torch on Tuesday (ftw!), and GFS keeping most in the 50's/low 60's. Channel 7 is calling 77 for KBOS which is jumping the gun as much as I don't like to think they are. Timing and position of the backdoor is key to all this.

Archived