• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Boston Marathon 2012 weather?

klw

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the weather is looking like for Monday's race? The start time is in waves but for most the period for the race is 10 am to 2pm. Some folks are getting nervous by temps near 80 being thrown around.

http://www.letsrun.c...?thread=4525482

At the moment the point and click is for Sunny and a high of 71.

http://forecast.weat...d2=-71.0603&e=0

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the weather is looking like for Monday's race? The start time is in waves but for most the period for the race is 10 am to 2pm. Some folks are getting nervous by temps near 80 being thrown around.

http://www.letsrun.c...?thread=4525482

At the moment the point and click is for Sunny and a high of 71.

http://forecast.weat...d2=-71.0603&e=0

I think it's possible, but timing of the front is critical. For now, at least 70s seems like a good bet, but if the front is slow to come through...could be lower 80s.

It looks to me like it's around 80 by noon time..And probably fairly muggy. Fronts typically move slower than progged and it's warmest just ahead of the front.

Hopefully in a year or 2 I'll be able to qualify to run in it

You're crazy. Congrats on having no knees by age 50.

You're crazy. Congrats on having no knees by age 50.

Dude that is a myth. There are numerous studies out there that show distance running is not harmful to knees. You need to read up on that before making those types of comments. It's the weightlifters that need to worry. They have no fitness level and no cardio. They bulk up and then as they age all the muscle turns to fat and you end up sloppy and fat with no level of fitness

Dude that is a myth. There are numerous studies out there that show distance running is not harmful to knees. You need to read up on that before making those types of comments. It's the weightlifters that need to worry. They have no fitness level and no cardio. They bulk up and then as they age all the muscle turns to fat and you end up sloppy and fat with no level of fitness

My manager is an avid runner for years and it's catching up to him. You watch. 5-6 miles is one thing. 10+ miles each day is not good.

You can't base it on 1 50 yr old guy who had a bad knee. It's actually very good for the joints. And who runs 10 miles everyday? I run 4 days a week.

Right, but you train quite a bit when you do. Hey more power to you if it never bothers you. All I'm saying is to watch your knees.

My manager is an avid runner for years and it's catching up to him. You watch. 5-6 miles is one thing. 10+ miles each day is not good.

I started running 5 years ago and had more knee problems training for my first half marathon then I do running my 50 mile/100k races.

Most runners injury themselves through improper training techniques and poor core strength. In the past year I've logged close to 2,900 miles and my legs/joints have never felt better.

Moments before I saw this thread I saw the forecast and thought, thank god I am not running Boston this year. 80+ is just misery for a runner!

I was overheating in the Ice Marathon this year in Antartica and its was 5 degrees.

I started running 5 years ago and had more knee problems training for my first half marathon then I do running my 50 mile/100k races.

Most runners injury themselves through improper training techniques and poor core strength. In the past year I've logged close to 2,900 miles and my legs/joints have never felt better.

Moments before I saw this thread I saw the forecast and thought, thank god I am not running Boston this year. 80+ is just misery for a runner!

I was overheating in the Ice Marathon this year in Antartica and its was 5 degrees.

Wow, nice man. Antartica! Cool, I mean that's great LOL

Right, but you train quite a bit when you do. Hey more power to you if it never bothers you. All I'm saying is to watch your knees.

Au contraire mon fraire (read with your best Bart Simpson voice)

2008 study of marathon runners found long term running may actually be protective of knees.

http://well.blogs.ny...elp-your-knees/

An article in Skeletal Radiology, a well-respected journal, created something of a sensation in Europe last year. It reported that researchers from Danube Hospital in Austria examined the knees of marathon runners using M.R.I. imaging, before and after the 1997 Vienna marathon. Ten years later, they scanned the same runners’ knees again. The results were striking. “No major new internal damage in the knee joints of marathon runners was found after a 10-year interval,” the researchers reported.
An important 2008 study, this one from Stanford University, followed middle-aged, longtime distance runners (not necessarily marathoners) for nearly 20 years, beginning in 1984, when most were in their 50s or 60s. At that time, 6.7 percent of the runners had creaky, mildly arthritic knees, while none of an age-matched control group did. After 20 years, however, the runners’ knees were healthier; only 20 percent showed arthritic changes, versus 32 percent of the control group’s knees. Barely 2 percent of the runners’ knees were severely arthritic, while almost 10 percent of the control group’s were.

As soon as you let me know when your muscles from lifting turn into flab as you age

Do you ever feel like its hard to do things around the house after burning off all your muscle from running? Last time I cut I felt like I couldn't do anything lol. Now I can carry in all the groceries at once in one hand and stuff like that even if I put on some fat. Just honestly wondering.

Do you ever feel like its hard to do things around the house after burning off all your muscle from running? Last time I cut I felt like I couldn't do anything lol. Now I can carry in all the groceries at once in one hand and stuff like that even if I put on some fat. Just honestly wondering.

His wife mows the lawn now since he does not have the strength to do it. The only way he can mow is to get a head start by jogging and then grab the mower while in stride.

Not at all. You don't burn all your muscles from running. That's another myth. Running just makes the muscles lean . You burn the glycogen/sugar in your body.

It's the meatheads with the huge arms that lose their mass if they start doing alot of running..and that's why people think you lose your muscle

From what I've heard you cannot just run the Boston with no number.. They don't allow that..and yank anyone with no number off the course.

My sister did about 3 years ago. I'll ask her to see what she did. I mean it's like 15,000 people running so how can they yank you?

Archived