• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring to recent support for warmth on the board...its been nice...for working outside the winds has suck...yesterday was a crappy day....nice fail

You have to adjust your definition of crappy. Yesterday my baby girl and I went for a mile walk and neither of us complained. If a 10 month old doesnt complain neither should you.

The really rough part of this pattern is that the models keep pushing their rainfall further away as we get closer like a mirage in the desert.

That kind of idea also came up in the teleconnection analogs that were the basis of my April 16-22 thoughts. The area in the black diamond showed the highest probability of wet anomalies. The area in the red circle showed the lowest probability of wet anomalies.

Prcp04102012.jpg

And the beat goes on -- through today, only 2 days below normal temp wise in NYC, and they were both -1 departures, so essentially normal. Today or tomorrow may pencil in a slight negative, but then we're solidly above normal once again for this weekend into early next week. Temperatures are likely to be underdone on MOS given the dry ground and still bare vegeation. I expect 70-73 degree highs on Saturday, and probably low 80s for Sunday. Monday I'm a bit concerned we backdoor from PHL northeast, but still well above normal. Prior to FROPA, Tuesday should be a torch as well, with 80s.

And the beat goes on -- through today, only 2 days below normal temp wise in NYC, and they were both -1 departures, so essentially normal. Today or tomorrow may pencil in a slight negative, but then we're solidly above normal once again for this weekend into early next week. Temperatures are likely to be underdone on MOS given the dry ground and still bare vegeation. I expect 70-73 degree highs on Saturday, and probably low 80s for Sunday. Monday I'm a bit concerned we backdoor from PHL northeast, but still well above normal. Prior to FROPA, Tuesday should be a torch as well, with 80s.

Euro keeps the backdoor front away on Monday and pumps temps into the low to mid 80's for NYC.

And EWR hasn't been below yet. Today is probably the best chance though they'll have to stay below 57/58. Departures are only in the 2.5-3.5 range for the month though I'm sure we'll be 4 to 5 above by next week at this time.

12z gfs keeps the front south of our area for this weekend resulting in a cooler and rainier Saturday night and Sunday.

Let's hope the euro is correct from last night.

the gfs lost to the euro last summer every time it showed a front coming through early

The way things have been going I think we may have to redefine what really is normal.

Hope so. The new 12zggem is pretty similar to last night's euro, so that's a good sign.

Again, why anyone of you people would want 80s right now is beyond me and due to the recent fire dangers as well as drought concerns, that's really the last thing you should root for. The warmth will only dry things out even further and once the dews drop and the winds pick up, the fire danger as well as an increasing drought will continue. I see very little moisture in the forecast.

2009 was the last year that we saw on the cooler side.

And not surprising that 2009 featured a developing El Nino by the summer months, which was when we began to cool. NYC's temp departures in 2009 were generally near or slightly above normal for the Jan-May period, then below normal pretty much from June through December 2009. Hence why many of the longer term models are suggesting the start of a cool period this summer potentially lasting through autumn.

I haven't made up my mind yet on this upcoming summer's departures, but I do believe we're going to see this 2 year torch come to an end in the next few months most likely.

MJO forecasts are in good consensus on the transition from p1-->COD over the next 10 days. This coupled with a slightly positive NAO/AO in a dying Nina yields a warmer than normal picture for the Eastern US. We'll see a couple strong cool shots but they'll be very transient (less than 2 days in duration) which has been par for the course lately. Overall, I continue to like the ideas and analogs put forth in the original post going forward into mid/late April. May of 1976 turned very cold, but was the only one of my 4 analogs to do so. Even still, that option will have to be examined further in a couple weeks. Right now I think it's highly unlikely that we see a May comparable to 1976, or even cooler than normal (leaning slightly warmer than normal atm).

And not surprising that 2009 featured a developing El Nino by the summer months, which was when we began to cool. NYC's temp departures in 2009 were generally near or slightly above normal for the Jan-May period, then below normal pretty much from June through December 2009. Hence why many of the longer term models are suggesting the start of a cool period this summer potentially lasting through autumn.

I haven't made up my mind yet on this upcoming summer's departures, but I do believe we're going to see this 2 year torch come to an end in the next few months most likely.

2009 was very different than this year so far. Notice how much colder North America was through JFM of 2009 than this year. My early guess is that JJA averaged out will have a positive departure for NYC though I am not sure of the magnitude yet.

2009 was very different than this year so far. Notice how much colder North America was through JFM of 2009 than this year. My early guess is that JJA averaged out will have a positive departure for NYC though I am not sure of the magnitude yet.

I agree that 2012 is quite a bit different than 2009. My point was that an El Nino coming on provides a much higher chance of finally seeing a negative temp departure month in NYC. I'm uncertain when that will occur, but like you, I don't believe it will be this month or May. 1976 was a very warm winter nationwide, then transitioned into a chilly summer. However, 1976 warmth pales in comparison to this year.

I agree that 2012 is quite a bit different than 2009. My point was that an El Nino coming on provides a much higher chance of finally seeing a negative temp departure month in NYC. I'm uncertain when that will occur, but like you, I don't believe it will be this month or May. 1976 was a very warm winter nationwide, then transitioned into a chilly summer. However, 1976 warmth pales in comparison to this year.

Yeah,it's hard to predict when we may finally see a below normal departure month next here with North America running so

warm. The cooler months here since 2010 were in the winter when we had strong blocking. But even then the cold was

nothing to write home about. Long term pattern breaks or changes are pretty tricky to forecast ahead of time.

You know when there is a -EPO/-NAO and the temps are still above normal that there is no cold around.

NYC +1.8 on the month

With the Arctic remaining unseasonably warm for the most part, there's not much cold to tap. Downstream, cold shots are modest and short-lived. Consequently, what should typically have produced a colder outcome than what occurred, has seen the cold underperform. April remains solidly on course to go into the books as yet another warm month in the NYC area.

Archived