• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the we should face the fact that we will probably be above normal all the time with maybe an occasional near to slightly below normal month. The difference is how warm things will be. Will we see March like temperature anomalies or what we may see this month, +2, +3 instead of +5 +6 or higher.

The dryness and lack of storminess also favors above normal temperatures for the summer.

I forgot to place that in my original post. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the "look" of it...just not the 'extent' of it.

Yeah I agree I mean the later it gets the higher the average gets, so while the heat will still look impressive not as impressive as if it were say a month ago

I think the we should face the fact that we will probably be above normal all the time with maybe an occasional near to slightly below normal month. The difference is how warm things will be. Will we see March like temperature anomalies or what we may see this month, +2, +3 instead of +5 +6 or higher.

The dryness and lack of storminess also favors above normal temperatures for the summer.

Not sure I agree...summers in which an El Niño was developing had a cooler than normal look to them across much of the country. Considering the MJO wave and the rapid warming of the tropical Pacific, we may be headed in this direction:

Yeah I agree I mean the later it gets the higher the average gets, so while the heat will still look impressive not as impressive as if it were say a month ago

Absolutely anomaly wise the heat in March will likely be the highest of any of the upcoming months. I doubt we see +10 or higher readings in the summer months or we'd be living in Death Valley with highs somewhere from 110+ for days on end.

Not sure I agree...summers in which an El Niño was developing had a cooler than normal look to them across much of the country. Considering the MJO wave and the rapid warming of the tropical Pacific, we may be headed in this direction:

We also have to remember all the analogs that were thrown out there regarding a cold winter due to a double dip La Nina. At this point, it could go either way...but the trends aren't looking good for a cooler spring and summer. However, there are those who are pushing the CFS model as their backing. :facepalm:

We also have to remember all the analogs that were thrown out there regarding a cold winter due to a double dip La Nina. At this point, it could go either way...but the trends aren't looking good for a cooler spring and summer. However, there are those who are pushing the CFS model as their backing. :facepalm:

Major drought and fire danger with a warm spring and hotter than normal summer unless we get some rainy periods soon.

Major drought and fire danger with a warm spring and hotter than normal summer unless we get some rainy periods soon.

We should have two opportunities for rain associated with the warm up next week as the upper low departs the area and ridging from the Midwest builds east. The first is a warm frontal passage, nicely depicted by the GFS:

The second is an overrunning scenario, which the GFS may be overdoing at this time. It's possible we do see convective/instability rains ahead of the cold front as the low passes us:

It's been difficult in the last 10 years for the NYC metro to maintain a long stretch of below-normal precipitation, so we'll see if the drought breaks in mid April as warmer temperatures return to the area.

Guest Pamela

I think the we should face the fact that we will probably be above normal all the time .

Since you seem knowledgeable in this area, can you tell me if time has a definite ending point or does it simply go on ad infinitum?

FWIW -- the CFS agrees on the warmer than normal April.

And just for laughs, but this would suck if it verified -- the CFS has a below normal temp May, June, July, August, September, October, November...then a torch for December 2012.

There will be quite a few people who will not be happy with that. :whistle:

Absolutely anomaly wise the heat in March will likely be the highest of any of the upcoming months. I doubt we see +10 or higher readings in the summer months or we'd be living in Death Valley with highs somewhere from 110+ for days on end.

Yeah, that's how it goes around here. The highest departure ranges are during the colder months with the greater

temperature contrast between north and south. Our warmest recent winter was a +6.8 and our hottest summer was +3.5.

The Euro ensembles now showing 14C-16C 850mb temps, in the area, next Monday. That would support highs in the middle to upper 80s, with enough sunshine. I wouldn't be shocked if Newark hit 90. Especially if we don't see much rain, before that.

post-187-0-00054300-1333972383.gif

Nice post...if those mid level temps come to pass Newark will more than likely get to 90 degrees.

I'm worried about potential delay or denial of big heat though. The pattern over SE Canada is very active. It won't take much of a shift for our area to be sitting along a gradient and surface warm front.

Nice post...if those mid level temps come to pass Newark will more than likely get to 90 degrees.

I'm worried about potential delay or denial of big heat though. The pattern over SE Canada is very active. It won't take much of a shift for our area to be sitting along a gradient and surface warm front.

Why is everyone in such a hurry to see summer time temps so early. If you all love the warmth so much, then move to Florida or Arizona/South California or something. I'm perfectly fine with 60/70s in April and May, were going to see 90s for days on end from June-August or even into September.

Why is everyone in such a hurry to see summer time temps so early. If you all love the warmth so much, then move to Florida or Arizona/South California or something. I'm perfectly fine with 60/70s in April and May, were going to see 90s for days on end from June-August or even into September.

Anything above 80 in April makes me want to vomit. Anything over 70 with high dewpoints also makes me sick. The last few days have been stellar.

Archived