• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

spring break this week

When I was young...walked to school 10 miles...uphill both ways....ah..you've heard that crap before....

Guest Pamela

At this point I've just come to accept the fact that we now live in the sub tropics.

I read where the Koppen Classification System actually included the City of New York under that designation...it made me want to blow chunks all over my latest copy of the Monthly Climate Report...

Its gonna feel like tropics when during this summer at this rate water temps will be around 75-80. Someone off the jersey coast if this above normal temp regime continues into the summer has a good shot at touching 80 it think.

Local ocean water temps are 47-50 right now. That's pretty much average. It caught up quickly these past 2 weeks, with the cooldown to normal and northerly winds.

There is a warm pocket of way above average 100-150 miles south of the Hudson Canyon but the gulf stream determines where that annual pocket of warm water ends up.

Guest Pamela

Local ocean water temps are 47-50 right now. That's pretty much average. It caught up quickly these past 2 weeks, with the cooldown to normal and northerly winds.

There is a warm pocket of way above average 100-150 miles south of the Hudson Canyon but the gulf stream determines where that annual pocket of warm water ends up.

A good rule of thumb for average water temperatures off Long Island...

50 by May 1

60 by June 1

70 by July 1

70's by August 1

70's by September 1

70 by October 1

60 by November 1

50 by December 1

40 by January 1

30's by February 1

30's by March 1

40 by April 1

A good rule of thumb for average water temperatures off Long Island...

50 by May 1

60 by June 1

70 by July 1

70's by August 1

70's by September 1

70 by October 1

60 by November 1

50 by December 1

40 by January 1

30's by February 1

30's by March 1

40 by April 1

May 1st has average water temps of 50-56 from Cape May (56) to Montauk (50)

Average ocean temps for April 16th is 48-50 degrees. We are right about average right now. It was 3-5 degrees above 2 weeks ago but it caught up these past 2 weeks because of the northerly winds and cooldown to normal.

Here is a site that has the official average temps bi-monthly:

http://www.nodc.noaa.../cwtg/catl.html

Guest Pamela

May 1st has average water temps of 50-56 from Cape May (56) to Montauk (50)

Average ocean temps for April 16th is 48-50 degrees. We are right about average right now. It was 3-5 degrees above 2 weeks ago but it caught up these past 2 weeks because of the northerly winds and cooldown to normal.

Here is a site that has the official average temps bi-monthly:

http://www.nodc.noaa.../cwtg/catl.html

Yeah...well I said off Long Island...so I was basically on target...Cape May is at the same latitude as the District of Columbia.

Yeah...well I said off Long Island...so I was basically on target...Cape May is at the same latitude as the District of Columbia.

Montauk has a 50 degree average. From Sandy Hook to Moriches its 52-54 degrees on May 1st. April 16th has 47-49 degree averages.

The point is that our local water temps are almost exactly on average right now. People have to stop saying that the ocean or LI Sound is very warm now.

Although, the temps will pop 2-4 degrees above average after this 3-4 day torch coming up.

I read where the Koppen Classification System actually included the City of New York under that designation...it made me want to blow chunks all over my latest copy of the Monthly Climate Report...

Yeah I thought of that right after I posted. Have always disagreed with that classification. We're in the same region as Houston TX:

http://en.wikipedia...._classification

If some climate scientists are correct we'll soon be growing palms.

Guest Pamela

Montauk has a 50 degree average. From Sandy Hook to Moriches its 52-54 degrees on May 1st. April 16th has 47-49 degree averages.

The point is that our local water temps are almost exactly on average right now. People have to stop saying that the ocean or LI Sound is very warm now.

Although, the temps will pop 2-4 degrees above average after this 3-4 day torch coming up.

We also have to take into account the Sound...which warms and cools a bit quicker than the open Ocean...also...temperatures at the beach behave in a similar fashion...while 10 to 20 miles offshore...change is more gradual.

Guest Pamela

Yeah I thought of that right after I posted. Have always disagreed with that classification. We're in the same region as Houston TX:

http://en.wikipedia...._classification

If some climate scientists are correct we'll soon be growing palms.

The classification system has been around for quite some time...I first learned of it in college...very specific cutoffs / boundaries are used with regard to temperature to make a designation...because of the extreme UHI in NYC...they fall into that category.

12z GFS MEX highs Sun,Mon,Tues:

NYC 80,83,77

LGA 75,83,77

EWR 79,85,76

TEB 81,86,79

HPN, 76,82,75

I think these still may be underdone.

Agree. Given progged 850's, dry ground, decent WAA occurring (strong SWLY flow), mostly sunny, my call for KNYC right now is:

SUN: 81F

MON: 86F

TUES: 82F

Newark I expect will be upper 80s Monday, possibly hit 90.

Agree. Given progged 850's, dry ground, decent WAA occurring (strong SWLY flow), mostly sunny, my call for KNYC right now is:

SUN: 81F

MON: 86F

TUES: 82F

Newark I expect will be upper 80s Monday, possibly hit 90.

GFS is the only model that has any measurable precip for NYC after 12z on Sunday.

So add 3-5 degrees off the GFS soundings because right now, Sunday looks dry and sunny after 12z.

Guest Pamela

This time of year, Newark will hit 85 with West winds and 14 C 850 temps under full sun.

Agree...an April 11th sun is as good as a August 31st sun.

Guest Pamela

You need mid 80s to be comfortable? I suggest moving to south Florida.

I remember when I was a kid my dad saying, "I'm going to get you an office job because I don't think you would like working out in the rain..."

Mid 80's with dews in the 50's will be PERFECT for our Orthodox outdoor Easter parties on Sunday. Perfect weather.

No my friend, 65-70 with partly cloudy skies and dews below 40 and a slight breeze is PERFECT. You're going to be hot on Sunday. Mark my words you'll be searching for shade this weekend.

Archived