• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

Doubt it. NAM keeps getting warmer. 6z NAM has the 90 degree line very close to LGA and NYC:

temp14.gif

Take a look at earthlight's post with a NAM run from yesterday. This 6z run actually shows a stronger sea breeze effect and the 90+ contour is focused more in a north-south orientation over New Jersey. Long Island is actually quite a bit cooler than the precious runs. I'm holding out hope that the 12z run comes in even cooler for the areas immediately east of the city, i.e., me.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then so is the euro ensemble and the operational as both drop 2"-3"+ of rain.

Almost every member of the gfs ensemble product also has a major east coast storm.

I meant in a general sense. It may be right on for this event, but we've seen some pretty wacky solutions from the DGEX in the past.

Take a look at earthlight's post with a NAM run from yesterday. This 6z run actually shows a stronger sea breeze effect and the 90+ contour is focused more in a north-south orientation over New Jersey. Long Island is actually quite a bit cooler than the precious runs. I'm holding out hope that the 12z run comes in even cooler for the areas immediately east of the city, i.e., me.

If there's a SSE wind at any point, it could even cool it down through into Midtown. Sometimes the seabreezes get further inland than progged and Manhattan cools off even though models keep it warm. I think near the coast, it will be a strong breeze (25 mph or so possibly, maybe even low stratus coming in).

I'm in a believe it when I see it mode with the rain for the weekend because most events over the past several months have failed to materialize or were nowhere near what they were supposed to be. I would think we get some rains, we are more than halfway through the month and the last time it rained (not just sprinkles) was April 1st. One of the longest rain free periods I could remember, 15 days and counting.

If there's a SSE wind at any point, it could even cool it down through into Midtown. Sometimes the seabreezes get further inland than progged and Manhattan cools off even though models keep it warm. I think near the coast, it will be a strong breeze (25 mph or so possibly, maybe even low stratus coming in).

agreed I would have thought uption would be hitting the seabreeze harder, the point forecast for southern queens shows mid 80s.

Yes I've noticed that seabreezes, when expected in at least some parts of the area seem to over-perform, at least in this area. We may hit higher high temp here by Little Neck bay than say JFK but I think if the sea breeze develops we'll still cool down. I'll take a brief hit well into the 80's if the breeze saves the day in the afternoon.

It's funny how normally this type of heat in mid April would be really impressive but because of how hot the past few Aprils have been, it's not all that impressive to me. Even if it hits 90 for one day, it's still not impressive because there were stretches were it was in the mid 90s 3-4 days for the past Aprils.

It's funny how normally this type of heat in mid April would be really impressive but because of how hot the past few Aprils have been, it's not all that impressive to me. Even if it hits 90 for one day, it's still not impressive because there were stretches were it was in the mid 90s 3-4 days for the past Aprils.

which is why this heat is unlikely to be record breaking...EWR has best shot.

NJ climate site has one station in NE NJ at 89F already. Definitely going to be some 92s-93s for highs today.

It's kind of interesting (in a nerdy way) to watch the one PWS on the upper east side near Hunter College. Every time it records a wind with any easterly component, the temp always drops slightly because I'm assuming it is close enough to the East River to have that effect. Right now it is at 82F (but was up over 83 earlier) with a light SSE wind. However several PWSs in western Queens and Brooklyn are 88-89.

Archived