• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big step down from 2 at 12z.....the trend east is not ideal right now....

The 0z euro ensembles have a stronger low and hugging the coast and then cutting inland. A lot of rain also. More then the dgex. Looks like over 3" adding it up.

Pretty impressive to see a smoothed mean with so much rain and a consolidated low. Has it raining hours 114-168.

Guest Pamela

several 90's and its interesting the warmest location is 93 at Westfield MA

http://kamala.cod.ed...1.OKX.KOKX.html

Not unusual at all...Westfield is traditionally one of the ovens of Massachusetts...no elevation and subject to severe downsloping / compressional warming as west winds come down the Berkshires / quasi chinook like.

The 0z euro ensembles have a stronger low and hugging the coast and then cutting inland. A lot of rain also. More then the dgex. Looks like over 3" adding it up.

Pretty impressive to see a smoothed mean with so much rain and a consolidated low. Has it raining hours 114-168.

I'm not so sure about a coastal, we would really want the -NAO to turn negative as it typically tends to go when a coastal hits. I was looking at the NAO charts and it may drop to neutral so there is only a slight indication that we could see a coastal storm. I'm still going toward a less consolidated low with pockets of heavier rains around the area for couple days. Those pockets alone could give someone up to 2-2.5" but on a more localized level rather than it being widespread.

The gfs shows what would be the most interesting weather event in months and a potential drought buster (although we are on the lower side compared to the 3-4"+ amounts to the west). Slow mover too so things would be unsettled for a few days, even some good snows in New England/Maine. It's a few days out there so things will continue to flip flop but I hope it materializes.

I feel like we've had these kinds of events before where the rain stays west of the delaware all day and then we get a deluge but all in a 4 to 6 hour period.

The gfs shows what would be the most interesting weather event in months and a potential drought buster (although we are on the lower side compared to the 3-4"+ amounts to the west). Slow mover too so things would be unsettled for a few days, even some good snows in New England/Maine. It's a few days out there so things will continue to flip flop but I hope it materializes.

I feel like we've had these kinds of events before where the rain stays west of the delaware all day and then we get a deluge but all in a 4 to 6 hour period.

That's what I fear may happen especially considering were dealing with a negatively tilted trough that could easily be further west than the gfs has it now and the heavier rains may be out west while we miss out.

On the other hand, if it's further east than the gfs shows, then we could easily pick up 1 month+ worth of rain in a couple days, we would also be dealing with strong winds, beach erosion, and other things you would find in a typical nor'easter as well as some very raw, if not chilly days in the upper 40s/low 50s.

12z Canadien on board as well for the weekend soaker. Has close to 3" of rain as well. Saturday morning until Sunday night.

Great, now I'll have to hear everyone at work complain about the rain all weekend. The fact that we've been spoiled for months, with rain free weather over a couple weeks along with record warmth this winter and early spring will mean nothing.

Great, now I'll have to hear everyone at work complain about the rain all weekend. The fact that we've been spoiled for months, with rain free weather over a couple weeks along with record warmth this winter and early spring will mean nothing.

Why on the weekend!

It would be one weekend. Stay inside, play some board games with your family, and enjoy your home. We need the rain.

Agreed, lawns have really browned out in just the past few days, noticing more and more brown patches so I welcome the rain. Now we'll just have to see if the dent in the drought will be significant (2"+) or just temporary (under 2").

If the streams stay separated, it's likely a quick frontal passage and shot of rain, to more dryness. If we see a phase, we likely will see a cutoff and stalling low, and copious amounts of rain with a connection to the tropics. Some places could get several inches of rain under such a setup.

CoastalWx just posted in the New England forum that the northern and southern streams look like they want to phase on the Euro ensembles.

If the streams stay separated, it's likely a quick frontal passage and shot of rain, to more dryness. If we see a phase, we likely will see a cutoff and stalling low, and copious amounts of rain with a connection to the tropics. Some places could get several inches of rain under such a setup.

12z euro ensembles are not nearly as impressive as last night's ensembles.

They still show 1.50"-2.00" of rain areawide but the low pressure is not nearly as consolidated as last night's run meaning there are many members that miss the phase or are very strung out.

Mean track of the low is still hugging the coast like last night, but more strung out and not as consolidated.

12z euro ensembles are not nearly as impressive as last night's ensembles.

They still show 1.50"-2.00" of rain areawide but the low pressure is not nearly as consolidated as last night's run meaning there are many members that miss the phase or are very strung out.

Mean track of the low is still hugging the coast like last night, but more strung out and not as consolidated.

Not a good sign then given we are still 4 days out, could keep trending unphased and less consolidated but we'll see. Ensembles are probably the best way to go than the OPs due to their run to run inconsistency.

Not a good sign then given we are still 4 days out, could keep trending unphased and less consolidated but we'll see. Ensembles are probably the best way to go than the OPs due to their run to run inconsistency.

I still think the chance of .50"-1"+ of rain is moderate. Just from the southern jet interraction with the front. But to get a big time rain maker, we need phasing of the northern and southern stream. Even if the low doesnt close off, the phasing alone will give us a nice rainfall.

if todays low of 67 stands up it will be the ninth highest minimum April morning...it seems like NYC has a day with a minimum in the top five warmest once a week since early last year...

min temp...date...

76 4/18/2002

74 4/17/2002

70 4/18/1976

69 4/19/2002

69 4/28/1990

69 4/28/2009

68 4/09/1991

68 4/19/1976

67 4/17/2012

67 4/15/1941

67 4/26/2009