• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

GFS looks really warm for late next week with widespread 80s... With this warm surge I'd think that at least one day ends up very warm, as in mid 80s or higher, but back door cold fronts usually pop up somewhere in these big spring warm spells, and if one does show up, it'd probably be on Wednesday behind a weak low pressure on Tuesday. It's possible the BDCF never drops through NYC, instead leaving the area very warm with 80s from Wednesday to Friday as the GFS/DGEX show, but it seems that around this time of the year they frequently drop south of NYC during warm spells, usually leaving at least one (or two) warm days.

post-1753-0-36793600-1335619491.gif

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can also see that the NAO blocking did not result in a cool Northeast in most of those years b/c the North Pacific/EPO/PNA pattern did not cooperate. 2008 was cold in the Northeast b/c we had the ridging from greenland connect to the pos height field on the BC coast. This May, even if we do get blocking, I don't anticipate the Pacific cooperating to give us a cold May. We'll see.

I tell people all the time that the tellies is a "marriage of sorts". If one doesn't play ball, than it mitigates the one that looks like a home run.

Impressive for late april...had to turn my heat back on...poor heat lovers

After the 3 days in a row of mega heat and +20 daily departures, we have made a big comeback towards normal.

We probably finish only +1 to +2 for the month, after the next 3 days.

Yesterday makes it 6 days in a row with a negative departure. Came it at -8.

NYC is now +2.6 for the month.

Today will probably be -8 to -11. And also tomorrow.

It's been tough to get sustained below normal temperatures without a big East Coast storm.

The last streak of below normal was at the end of October and beginning November with

the big storm back then.

Today's Euro definitely looked very backdoor-y with low heights over the Maritimes. That can easily set up the high and easterly flow in our area. The ridge keeps getting beaten down as it tries to build east, and eventually settles in the Midwest. I'd be wary of predicting very warm readings unless that trough to our NE weakens or pulls away.

lost in all of this is that it looks like the trend of systems drying up as they reach us is still in full effect. The big storm last week was an aberration and we are back to the previous pattern.

This looks like it going to be the first JFMA at Central Park to come in under 10 inches since 2002.

SINCE JAN 1 9.12 15.18 -6.06

Guest Pamela

CPC's 6 - 10 and 8 - 14 day outlooks both have greater than 50% probability of below normal temps in our area...well, at least Long Island is in the blue in the 1st outlook...Jersey is sort of borderline.

Maybe May may end up below average? Nice blocking, -AO/NAO and +PNA setting up end of 1st week of May. Temps may not get that warm either prior to the cooldown due to backdoor fronts providing easterly flow. I'm still thinking at least one day next week we'll get close to but not hit 90. More likely we'll see mid 80s at most.

Maybe May may end up below average? Nice blocking, -AO/NAO and +PNA setting up end of 1st week of May. Temps may not get that warm either prior to the cooldown due to backdoor fronts providing easterly flow. I'm still thinking at least one day next week we'll get close to but not hit 90. More likely we'll see mid 80s at most.

Maybe not below average, but probably close to average or a little above overall. This is the boldest blocking signal of the entire season, and while obviously it won't snow, it could stay somewhat chilly for a while after the 1-2 day warmth surge late this upcoming week if the blocking actually develops as modeled.

post-1753-0-08825300-1335674893.gif

NYC will still finish April above normal even with a mean trough over the Northeast.

Goes to show how the cold has been underperforming with a warmer Arctic.

This has been a common theme here since 2010 with warmer troughs than

had been experienced under past similar 500 mb patterns. Check out how

2011 was warmer than average across Canada even with a mean trough in place.

NYC will still finish April above normal even with a mean trough over the Northeast.

And that is when compared to the latest 30 year block, the warmest 30 year climate block since records began being kept. It's ridiculous.

The NAM just couldn't make Tuesday's temperature outlook any easier... GFS has near 60, ECM has upper 60s, the 6z NAM had mid 50s while the new NAM run has nearly 70 degrees. At least there's an agreement that the rain should mostly end by noon.

so it sounds like the ecm and nam are close

so it sounds like the ecm and nam are close

NAM even seems to be a bit warmer for some than the ECM, showing 80 SW of Trenton where the ECM has 75. The 6z NAM likely overdid the cold IMO, although given the sudden change I'd rather wait for the rest of the 12z/18z runs before completely siding with the warmer outcome.

post-1753-0-67838100-1335711552.gif

Good post. The persistence of warmth over the Arctic has been a major factor in keeping our troughs mild. Even if we see a slightly below normal H5 field over the Northeast for the month of May, I'd be surprised if sfc temp anomalies were below average. Maybe things will change as we head into the summer? We'll see.

Good post. The persistence of warmth over the Arctic has been a major factor in keeping our troughs mild. Even if we see a slightly below normal H5 field over the Northeast for the month of May, I'd be surprised if sfc temp anomalies were below average. Maybe things will change as we head into the summer? We'll see.

Actually, it looks to me like we're beginning to change the very warm picture in the Arctic. In fact, compared to a couple weeks ago, we've seen a fairly impressive cool down in the northern latitudes.

Courtesy of Dr. Ryan M site, April 15th global sfc temp anomalies:

sv53kg.jpg

April 29th:

2j4zria.jpg

Below normal now in much of the Arctic. If this continues, it will likely have implications with our future trough amplification events (down the road).

Top 10 day of the year - cobalt blue skies, low humidity, temps in the low 60s - perfection.

Truly splendid out. We've had a several days like this - very california like out there.

I think this is a week where we have to watch for clouds getting in the way but it should still be quite warm.

Thanks. I think that even with the drop in the NAO to start off the month we probably average out above normal

for May. If the blocking persists long enough, it may make it a relatively small + departure compared to recent months.

Too bad we didn't have this pattern during the winter.

Actually, it looks to me like we're beginning to change the very warm picture in the Arctic. In fact, compared to a couple weeks ago, we've seen a fairly impressive cool down in the northern latitudes.

Courtesy of Dr. Ryan M site, April 15th global sfc temp anomalies:

sv53kg.jpg

April 29th:

2j4zria.jpg

Below normal now in much of the Arctic. If this continues, it will likely have implications with our future trough amplification events (down the road).

Can i get a link to the site for these images Thanks.

Archived