• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
April outlook - will the warmth continue?

Isotherm

Could it also come even further west and we miss out on the heavy rains.

The Western ridge axis as progged - CO/MT - is not favorable for the sfc storm to come much further west than depicted right now on modelling. Also, given the progressive nature of this pattern (very little upstream blocking), I don't see this cutting west of the apps.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Western ridge axis as progged - CO/MT - is not favorable for the sfc storm to come much further west than depicted right now on modelling. Also, given the progressive nature of this pattern (very little upstream blocking), I don't see this cutting west of the apps.

It also teleconnects well to the major trough along the Western US coast, which at this time of year (due to shorter wavelengths) is conducive for a deepening low in the SE/E coast.

Yeah, without blocking, I'm more afraid, this winds up too far east or unphased, rather than too far west.

Yeah, without blocking, I'm more afraid, this winds up too far east or unphased, rather than too far west.

the 18z gfs has exactly what you just said, just a few passing showers with the unphased solution. Oh well

edit: we still get a decent amount of rain this run, but if this is any indication of a trend it will likely go drier

f156.gif

:(

528523_10150692429511359_96789666358_9713047_306894920_n.jpg

We still get nearly 1.5" on the gfs but I believe that's from a weak slow moving low near us that might have been enhanced all the way down to a wide open gulf. It's a very potent looking system though down south and would likely be a very powerful and potent storm if it phases and comes up the coast.

In the winter, I'm sure we'd all be pretty hyped about this setup.

the 18z gfs has exactly what you just said, just a few passing showers with the unphased solution. Oh well

edit: we still get a decent amount of rain this run, but if this is any indication of a trend it will likely go drier

f156.gif

:(

528523_10150692429511359_96789666358_9713047_306894920_n.jpg

Kinda surprised we don't have any drought watches yet. If this storm doesn't pan out it looks like we're in fairly dire straits until the end of this month at least. Thereafter, it's more likely we get fronts and T-storms than organized rain events as we transition towards summer.

I made it up to 82, not bad at all. Nearby small weather stations are reporting similar highs in the 79-82 range.

I'm actually surprised JFK only managed 75. I'm used to being a couple of degrees warmer during the warm months but a 7 degree difference within 10-15 blocks is a lot....unless measurements are taken directly on Jamaica Bay. In the winter I'm usually spot on with JFK with everything.

I made it up to 82, not bad at all. Nearby small weather stations are reporting similar highs (79-82).

I'm actually surprised JFK only managed 75. I'm used to being a couple of degrees warmer during the warm months but a 7 degree difference within 10-15 blocks is a lot....unless measurements are taken directly on Jamaica Bay.

Huge differences within just a mile or two today. I don't think Long Beach made it to 70 today, and as I expected, it was much colder here than it was in Midtown all day. I could tell there was some relief around 3-4pm as Manhattan might have had some marine influence, but overall it was likely at least 15-20 degrees colder here than there.

I made it up to 82, not bad at all. Nearby small weather stations are reporting similar highs in the 79-82 range.

I'm actually surprised JFK only managed 75. I'm used to being a couple of degrees warmer during the warm months but a 7 degree difference within 10-15 blocks is a lot....unless measurements are taken directly on Jamaica Bay. In the winter I'm usually spot on with JFK with everything.

I hit 78 very very briefly today:

post-880-0-75660500-1334622667.gif

Huge differences within just a mile or two today. I don't think Long Beach made it to 70 today, and as I expected, it was much colder here than it was in Midtown all day. I could tell there was some relief around 3-4pm as Manhattan might have had some marine influence, but overall it was likely at least 15-20 degrees colder here than there.

Cool gradient also out in NW suffolk...where there usually is...Melville right at LIE hit only 72, yet Huntington only 3 miles north hit 87...usually happens though, the elevation increases about 100-150 feet right north of melville so i think the seabreeze kinda dies out. Just a theory though, but that 3 miles makes a huge difference summer and winter as well.

wow if we miss another rainstorm...

Seriously- we're going to pay for this nice weather at some point... I really hope that we don't have a lousy summer... Absent a career in teaching though, most working people only have 2 days per week to enjoy outside.. Thus all I really care about are the weekends from May till Early September...

But yea, i'd rather get a few rainstorms now, even on the weekends and have a decent summer instead of a rainy summer...

Also, if we don't get our rain now and if it does stay this dry- it's going to be a rather Brown summer... (if the rain never comes)

Archived