Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just telling my family yesterday at dinner, that it seems like the wind has not stopped since February 2010.

Wild Fire Conditions today are extreme. Mark my word, somewhere in PA today is gonna have major issues..

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/04/10/3157391/fire-danger-lurks-as-spring-sets.html

From the article:

Most wildfires are caused by people, according to the DCNR, with debris burning the most common cause. Bair said people don’t realize how quickly a fire can spread and should be attentive.

“Don’t do it,” D’Amore said of burning in dry conditions. “It’s very simple.”

It's simple but it's tough to battle the "ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do I gots rights" brand of stupid thinking.

Well, at least we ended up getting a pretty nice Easter holiday weatherwise before this cold unsettled weather moved in, heard here and there about the flakes returning up in the mountains. End of the week should improve. Speaking of snow, here's the latest installment of "What things look like on dual pol."

Not enough good echoes this eve on the CCX radar attm so here is CLE's radar.

post-1507-0-07132400-1334114699.png

I have Differential reflectivity (ZDR) on the left and regular reflectivity on the right. In situations where you have a dry, unmelting snow..you will see very low ZDR values (only up to a couple tenths) whereas rain will generally be more in the +1 to +2 range. As you can see, the regular reflectivity conincides with very low ZDR, thus indicating snow falling, and likely all the way to the ground since the band is pretty close to the radar. The radar beam near the downtown area is about 500 feet or so above the ground. It's another general and kinda meh example, as you can get pretty in depth with better examples in identifying the melting layer, regions of mixing/rain vs all snow, and even the dendritic growth zone and flake structure.

Well, at least we ended up getting a pretty nice Easter holiday weatherwise before this cold unsettled weather moved in, heard here and there about the flakes returning up in the mountains. End of the week should improve. Speaking of snow, here's the latest installment of "What things look like on dual pol."

Is this available to the public ?

The NWS radar looks the same as always.

Is this available to the public ?

The NWS radar looks the same as always.

The standard NWS radar products like the base reflectivity, velocities, etc that you can get on the NWS and other public sites remain the same after the dual polarization upgrade. What the upgrade does is add several new products that utilize the dual pol radar's ability to transmit and receive in both the horizontal and vertical. These new products aren't currently available to the public for free. GRlevelX radar is the only radar viewer that i'm aware of that offers the dual pol data. Otherwise, the dual pol products are only viewed by an NWS office's AWIPS software. Not sure if they eventually plan to offer these new products on the NWS radar sites.

hey guys. got a question on what temps look like down the road for the end of April and early May. I'm thinking of planting a few acres of early sweet corn later this week after it warms up but am concerned about any real cold shots lurking out there. since the snow season is over I haven't been following the models very much. what's your thoughts for the next 3-4 weeks? I'm not too concerned about normal end of April chill as corn can take a light frost, but temps in the low to mid 20's once the corn is up wouldn't be good.

The standard NWS radar products like the base reflectivity, velocities, etc that you can get on the NWS and other public sites remain the same after the dual polarization upgrade. What the upgrade does is add several new products that utilize the dual pol radar's ability to transmit and receive in both the horizontal and vertical. These new products aren't currently available to the public for free. GRlevelX radar is the only radar viewer that i'm aware of that offers the dual pol data. Otherwise, the dual pol products are only viewed by an NWS office's AWIPS software. Not sure if they eventually plan to offer these new products on the NWS radar sites.

The data is being released for free (well, our tax dollars pay for it so I guess its not free)... several of the mobile radar apps have altered their programs to decode the data (Pykl3, radarscope). WeatherTap is using the data as well. Wunderground doesn't have it yet, but i'm sure they are working on it.

The radar display on NWS pages is not handled by individual offices, but on a national level... I have no clue whether or not they will add it to their radar pages.

By the way, getting some snow showers here in State College. :) Probably the last time until the end of this year.

Blinding graupel showers throughout much of central PA. I'm curious if anyone is getting something other than graupel.

At the tail end of the last heavier shower, it went to snow here on campus. I was walking back from a meeting in it. I was thankful for it, as it didn't hurt as much in the wind :(

The data is being released for free (well, our tax dollars pay for it so I guess its not free)... several of the mobile radar apps have altered their programs to decode the data (Pykl3, radarscope). WeatherTap is using the data as well. Wunderground doesn't have it yet, but i'm sure they are working on it.

The radar display on NWS pages is not handled by individual offices, but on a national level... I have no clue whether or not they will add it to their radar pages.

By the way, getting some snow showers here in State College. :) Probably the last time until the end of this year.

Haha I guess what i meant to say is that it isn't available anywhere for free yet without paying a fee to use the radar app/viewer. I would think Wunderground will be a free source if they are indeed working on putting it on their site.

And it is pretty lousy around these parts today with snow/grapuel showers, though I can't say i'm surprised with the return of flakes and cold weather after the extremely warm month of May March we had. The showers are pretty feisty with the strong April sun heating things up in between, wouldn't be surprised to have a rumble of thunder here and there.

Haha I guess what i meant to say is that it isn't available anywhere for free yet without paying a fee to use the radar app/viewer. I would think Wunderground will be a free source if they are indeed working on putting it on their site.

And it is pretty lousy around these parts today with snow/grapuel showers, though I can't say i'm surprised with the return of flakes and cold weather after the extremely warm month of May March we had. The showers are pretty feisty with the strong April sun heating things up in between, wouldn't be surprised to have a rumble of thunder here and there.

RadarScope has dual-pol products. It's not free, but a one-time fee of $9.99 is totally worth having a mobile high-quality radar product, IMO. :P

And the dual-pol precip-type product is showing graupel cores in the convective snow showers, so it's handling things pretty decently, I think.

RadarScope has dual-pol products. It's not free, but a one-time fee of $9.99 is totally worth having a mobile high-quality radar product, IMO. :P

And the dual-pol precip-type product is showing graupel cores in the convective snow showers, so it's handling things pretty decently, I think.

Yea that's def not bad at all, I hadn't been aware that there was already mobile radar apps that had dual pol products.

The RadarScope app also offers dual pol data.

Was outside doing field work all day today, got hit with a few graupel/sleet/hail? showers.

Just came back from stopping at my grandparents and managed to catch the aftermath of the heavy "ice" shower that just rolled through.

post-1507-0-36947400-1334176999.jpg

A bit smaller than pea size, but definetely sizeable for grapuel. It's been a pretty unique day precip wise, I have seen a bout or two of actual snow here earlier this afternoon. When the suns out it isn't too bad, but just prior to and during when one of these showers move through..it is absolutely brutal outside. There's always going for a round of golf at the 7 Springs Golf course.

post-1507-0-42291000-1334177347.jpg

The RadarScope app also offers dual pol data.

Was outside doing field work all day today, got hit with a few graupel/sleet/hail? showers.

Graupel and hail. There's a grey area between graupel and hail, but it's not sleet... it's not a warm-air-aloft cold-air-near-the-surface situation, but a cold-air-aloft convective situation. :P

I've seen graupel, rain, snow, and hail (in that order of frequency) today. :P

Archived