Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what looks like monster lake effect bands from hell on radar this am, looks like most weather sites will have to reset their default radar settings. :D

What are you talking about? I was getting 2-3"/hr snowfall rates off that one band, talk about epic whiteout! I'v been waiting all winter for a snowfall like that :snowing:

Some thunderstorms moving across the area this evening. Nothing major but enough to provide a sampling of some of the storm aspects the dual pol radar can provide.

post-1507-0-37543700-1333158849.png

This four panel has regular reflectivity on the top left, Differential reflectivity (ZDR) top right, correlation coefficient (RHO) bottom left, and I just threw in echo tops for the bottom right panel. I'm still watching and rewatching the provided tutorials geared for meteorologists and the radar is a bit messy but the rough analysis of these thunderstorms around UNV is the higher ZDR values that that coincide with the high reflectivity indicate the larger drop sizes within these thunderstorms. The correlation coeffient values are uniform and very high thus indicating all rain and probably no hail associated with the storms.

Some thunderstorms moving across the area this evening. Nothing major but enough to provide a sampling of some of the storm aspects the dual pol radar can provide.

post-1507-0-37543700-1333158849.png

This four panel has regular reflectivity on the top left, Differential reflectivity (ZDR) top right, correlation coefficient (RHO) bottom left, and I just threw in echo tops for the bottom right panel. I'm still watching and rewatching the provided tutorials geared for meteorologists and the radar is a bit messy but the rough analysis of these thunderstorms around UNV is the higher ZDR values that that coincide with the high reflectivity indicate the larger drop sizes within these thunderstorms. The correlation coeffient values are uniform and very high thus indicating all rain and probably no hail associated with the storms.

Interesting. Hopefully you can get us some nice screen shots in the upcoming weeks.

We got to 26.4 this am. A couple more perennials seemed to take it on the chin and give up.

I'm home for the week for training and we dropped to 24.1° here in Lebanon County. A few shrubs around the front of the house had their buds toasted...hopefully they will rebud. The cold season garden stuff looks ok.

Talked to an orchard owner and a garden mass producer. Both have lost basically all their crops. Very sad stuff.

Our azaleas are toast.

Today I sprayed killer on a 60'x3 strip next to the house. In two weeks will till it up, rake in nutrients and plant a ****load of white creeping thyme for groundcover. In that, we'll put in various plants to pop throughout the season, looking forward to it. It's gonna cost a ton of money for that much thyme though, eek.

Talked to an orchard owner and a garden mass producer. Both have lost basically all their crops. Very sad stuff.

Our azaleas are toast.

Today I sprayed killer on a 60'x3 strip next to the house. In two weeks will till it up, rake in nutrients and plant a ****load of white creeping thyme for groundcover. In that, we'll put in various plants to pop throughout the season, looking forward to it. It's gonna cost a ton of money for that much thyme though, eek.

23.2 this morn daffodills and tulips laying over, hard frost and freeze. not good.

Yep. Fortunately the apples held off some up here so they should be okay.

About a month ago, I wrote to CTP asking if snowfall in KMDT was in the top 10 for least snow.

Just received a reply today!

"Sorry this took so long - your message got dumped into Spam Mail for some reason, and I was just cleaning it out today and found your message.

The 5th least snowy season at Harrisburg was 10.9 in 1997-1998.

I cannot easily find anything past the top/bottom-5 seasons.

So, for now, I would tell you that is probably in the top-10 of the least snowy seasons.

I will let you know if I can find a complete ranking of all the seasons.

Sincerely,

Mike Dangelo

NWS State College, PA

There's a huge forest fire in Perry County, started around 1 p.m. I believe.

These winds are not helping matters.

I saw one on my way back from my grandparents' place this afternoon. It didn't appear to be too large, but still interesting to see in Central PA. It was about 20 miles east of State College, on a ridge south of Millheim/Aaronsburg.

Not as cool as the fire I saw a number of years ago, on the ridge right across the Susquehanna River from Liverpool. Drove by at night as it was burning, a really impressive sight.

Yes I remember that one, I live about 6 miles from that fire. I was starting to wonder if they were going to get that one out. It was so smokey from that fire. Also that mountain is so steep where it was burning that only firefighters with shovels and their backpack equiptment couldwalk to access the fire. They were also using helicopters to drop water on the fire. I think that fire burned for five days. I think it burned over 100 acres. That one they say started from a tossed cigarette from a passing car along tr. 147

I saw one on my way back from my grandparents' place this afternoon. It didn't appear to be too large, but still interesting to see in Central PA. It was about 20 miles east of State College, on a ridge south of Millheim/Aaronsburg.

Not as cool as the fire I saw a number of years ago, on the ridge right across the Susquehanna River from Liverpool. Drove by at night as it was burning, a really impressive sight.

Archived