Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any knowledge/experience/stories on the Parker Dam Tornado that ripped through the state park in May of 1985 (link)? I am filming a feature (will air on CNET Channel 7 in late May/early June) and am still digging around for more info.

By the way, Euro & GFS suggesting at least 80°F coming up for Sun/Mon! :sizzle:

Anyone have any knowledge/experience/stories on the Parker Dam Tornado that ripped through the state park in May of 1985 (link)? I am filming a feature (will air on CNET Channel 7 in late May/early June) and am still digging around for more info.

I wish there were more accounts and aftermath pictures from this tornado floating around, unfortunately (fortunately for people) this thing ripped through one of the most rural regions in Pennsylvania. My mothers hometown just happens to be Renovo, PA.. which was roughly about 10 miles north of the tornado path. I would say the town was extremely lucky, cuz I can't imagine if that tornado would've snuck a bit more latitude and rolled right along the river valley. With the damage path being a mile and a half wide in places.. that's wider than the valley is where Renovo sits. My mom was there that day, and she does remember the storm. Specifically I remember her mentioning how weird the sky got and the strong wind creating the look of the West Branch reversing it's direction. Certainly makes sense, a rough extrapolation of that radar image Henry M and Jesse from Accuwx made would've put the strong inflow region over the town.

post-1507-0-40665500-1334298159.jpg

Speaking of which, that radar image is amazing in itself given this was before WSR-88D NEXRAD.

Here's a couple pictures I took back in 2010 from PA 144 looking south toward where the tornado path was. You can see what I'm pretty sure is a still strafed mountaintop in the background. It at least illustrates the very rugged terrain this tornado moved through. Second pic is a zoomed in shot.

post-1507-0-38160600-1334299693.png

post-1507-0-49794600-1334299794.png

MAG, have you ever hiked around the blowdown area at Parker Dam? It's pretty remarkable:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/parkerdam/

Tornado Alley Trail:

0.5 mile, yellow blazes, easiest hiking

This logging road connects Sullivan Ridge Trail with the cabin area. It offers a panoramic view of the tornado damage in Abbot Hollow.

Have you gone to Parker Dam State Park to film that area? You might also be able to set up an interview with a park ranger there; they are pretty knowledgeable about what happened.

Have you gone to Parker Dam State Park to film that area? You might also be able to set up an interview with a park ranger there; they are pretty knowledgeable about what happened.

Not yet... i'm currently planning a trip in a few weeks. I am working with one of the staff there and am in the process of contacting some boy scouts that were staying in a cabin that day for an interview to tell their story. The cabin was pretty heavily damaged, all of them inside were okay. The park staff have been very helpful, reserving the same cabin for me to interview/film in.

5296d5c8b.jpg

I wish there were more accounts and aftermath pictures from this tornado floating around, unfortunately (fortunately for people) this thing ripped through one of the most rural regions in Pennsylvania. My mothers hometown just happens to be Renovo, PA.. which was roughly about 10 miles north of the tornado path. I would say the town was extremely lucky, cuz I can't imagine if that tornado would've snuck a bit more latitude and rolled right along the river valley. With the damage path being a mile and a half wide in places.. that's wider than the valley is where Renovo sits. My mom was there that day, and she does remember the storm. Specifically I remember her mentioning how weird the sky got and the strong wind creating the look of the West Branch reversing it's direction. Certainly makes sense, a rough extrapolation of that radar image Henry M and Jesse from Accuwx made would've put the strong inflow region over the town.

Speaking of which, that radar image is amazing in itself given this was before WSR-88D NEXRAD.

Here's a couple pictures I took back in 2010 from PA 144 looking south toward where the tornado path was. You can see what I'm pretty sure is a still strafed mountaintop in the background. It at least illustrates the very rugged terrain this tornado moved through. Second pic is a zoomed in shot.

Thanks. I'll try to make my way to the trail to get some good views.

Accuwx's enhanced radar image looks better than the black and white version I have, but it's from the WSR-77 at PSU. Pretty awesome.

post-1507-0-40665500-1334298159.jpg

post-1507-0-38160600-1334299693.png

post-1507-0-49794600-1334299794.png

i remember this storm...i was just a kid and was scared to death.

i think thats why i hate tornadoes to this day.

i lived in frenchville at the time and the radio said it was heading right for us..lucky for us it didnt our place.

Was going to rip out my side yard next week (till up, yank out) and plant groundcover and a wide assortment of other plants. Then get mulch delivered and spread.

Have reserved tiller, ordered plants, arranged mulch delivery.

Looks like a complete wash out next weekend, both days, though. F!

Backed off a bit on it but all models are consistent on a pretty significant cold shot for this time of year.

Yep, def backed off, but the threat for a decent amount of snow accumulation is still there I think. The storm is still on all the runs, just depends on who gets the backside edge snow. Eastern OH, NW PA, and Western NY still need to keep their eyes open I think :popcorn:

Yep, def backed off, but the threat for a decent amount of snow accumulation is still there I think. The storm is still on all the runs, just depends on who gets the backside edge snow. Eastern OH, NW PA, and Western NY still need to keep their eyes open I think :popcorn:

12Z GFS brought it back....this is interesting.

Still a little ways to go with many more model runs, but the models have been fairly consistent with showing a storm around sunday-tuesday timeframe. In away, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent snowstorm so late in the season after this type of winter. Interesting indeed!

Hahhh lock that baby in.

We'd need a monster deepening low for any potential threat of widespread snowfall (ala 4-16-2007 nor'easter). It looks like at least a pretty chilly storm with perhaps a chance of seeing some more flakes in the nw flow regime behind. Hopefully there's a sizeable area-wide rainstorm that comes out of this system being progged, we could certainly use one.

Hahhh lock that baby in.

We'd need a monster deepening low for any potential threat of widespread snowfall (ala 4-16-2007 nor'easter). It looks like at least a pretty chilly storm with perhaps a chance of seeing some more flakes in the nw flow regime behind. Hopefully there's a sizeable area-wide rainstorm that comes out of this system being progged, we could certainly use one.

Yeah, no kidding. We really do need rain.

0Z GFS did the monster deepening thing. Hit us too.

PotterWx probably had to change underwear :D

Who in their right mind would want snow this late in the season?

I guess to me it would be for the interest in something out of the ordinary. But I'd rather not have the cold-hardy stuff in my garden take it on the chin. Even a few inches of wet snow on them would be bad news.

Up to 73...going to be a scorcher today (Under April standards at least)

Record-breaking.

Yeah, no kidding. We really do need rain.

0Z GFS did the monster deepening thing. Hit us too.

PotterWx probably had to change underwear :D

Who in their right mind would want snow this late in the season?

THIS GUY!! :thumbsup: heck, if it snowed in July I would love it. Lets just say, I wish for a year without a summer every year :weenie:

Ohhhhhh it was a nice hit for sure! I'l wait until the 00Z run tonight, before I start getting too excited :popcorn:

Archived