• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Late Spring 2012

Old thread is up near 1000 and we've been devoid of anything resembling winter in the last month with our heat wave and foliage explosion... so i'm making a fresh thread. Going forward, we're looking at a pretty hard freeze for alot of the area Monday night, so alot of these blooming trees/plants are probably going to have some issues. The rest of the week looks more seasonable if not maybe continuing a hair above average temp wise. Either way it's going to be a wake up call compared to what we have been experiencing. GFS and Euro diverge in the longer range, GFS has been trying to relight the torch while the Euro is alot flatter and cooler leaving us vulnerable to a cold shot. 0z Euro starts bringing in a said cold shot early Easter week.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old thread is up near 1000 and we've been devoid of anything resembling winter in the last month with our heat wave and foliage explosion... so i'm making a fresh thread. Going forward, we're looking at a pretty hard freeze for alot of the area Monday night, so alot of these blooming trees/plants are probably going to have some issues. The rest of the week looks more seasonable if not maybe continuing a hair above average temp wise. Either way it's going to be a wake up call compared to what we have been experiencing. GFS and Euro diverge in the longer range, GFS has been trying to relight the torch while the Euro is alot flatter and cooler leaving us vulnerable to a cold shot. 0z Euro starts bringing in a said cold shot early Easter week.

Last gfs run seems to now even suggest flakes in the air, so move toward the Euro?

The blossoms being out is a very real issue. Wife was talking to local orchard owner yesterday, they are like me, radiational cooling issues on portions of land. If we get clear calm conditions Mon night, IMBY we get close to 20 Tues am. My two year old saturn peach is blooming, going to cover with tarp.

Last gfs run seems to now even suggest flakes in the air, so move toward the Euro?

The blossoms being out is a very real issue. Wife was talking to local orchard owner yesterday, they are like me, radiational cooling issues on portions of land. If we get clear calm conditions Mon night, IMBY we get close to 20 Tues am. My two year old saturn peach is blooming, going to cover with tarp.

God help all the area farms and orchards. :(

It makes me cringe thinking about it..especially in our area Jamie. You def know how cold a radiational cooling night can get where your at as well as the farmlands on the other side of Bald Eagle Mountain (Barrens region). It's not just going to be a 28-30 degree type freeze, it's going to be a hard one. Such is reality when your still a week from getting even out of March. I'm surprised CTP hasn't matched up freeze watches in the southern half of the CWA to match up with PHI and PIT. Also, todays 12z European had a PSUHazelton mauler hrs 186-192 (April 2nd) with a 988 sitting offshore east of the Jersey coast.

I would try to use something with a little more insulating value rather than a tarp. being the tree is only 2 years old it shouldn't be that big. maybe try some old blankets. my experience with tarps for frost protection is that they don't work very well. but I don't know if anything will protect blooms with a temp. of 20.

I would try to use something with a little more insulating value rather than a tarp. being the tree is only 2 years old it shouldn't be that big. maybe try some old blankets. my experience with tarps for frost protection is that they don't work very well. but I don't know if anything will protect blooms with a temp. of 20.

I put an old sheet over it and tied it. I have floating row covers on the three rows of cold hardy stuff I planted. Will see how i make out. I can always replant.

White Easter. I have to laugh at the freakout around here in State College that would ensue over such a happening.

post-1507-0-67276600-1332898046.jpg

By the way, with CCX getting the dual pol upgrade I finally purchased the license for my GR2analyst to receive dual pol data over the weekend. Now the question is whether or not it gets put to it's first test around here on a snowstorm or a decent severe outbreak.

post-1507-0-67276600-1332898046.jpg

By the way, with CCX getting the dual pol upgrade I finally purchased the license for my GR2analyst to receive dual pol data over the weekend. Now the question is whether or not it gets put to it's first test around here on a snowstorm or a decent severe outbreak.

:lmao:

Can I share that on Twitter? That's perfect!

What do you make of the latest NAM for Friday night? Not sure we see snow this far south.

:lmao:

Can I share that on Twitter? That's perfect!

What do you make of the latest NAM for Friday night? Not sure we see snow this far south.

Yea sure haha, I saw that on the Penn State memes facebook page right around the time I was reading your post last night. The 12z NAM looks pretty reasonable, keeping snow up in Potter land along the NY border. NAM is still the coldest model, but either way it's still a pretty rude awakening. Looks like son of torch of the century ensues for a couple days next week before what continues to be looking like an unsettled and chilly Easter holiday.

Yea sure haha, I saw that on the Penn State memes facebook page right around the time I was reading your post last night. The 12z NAM looks pretty reasonable, keeping snow up in Potter land along the NY border. NAM is still the coldest model, but either way it's still a pretty rude awakening. Looks like son of torch of the century ensues for a couple days next week before what continues to be looking like an unsettled and chilly Easter holiday.

I would not be too shocked if we get snow, flakes or light accumulation, late next week.

Yep! That would be great, I'd me more than happy to see an 1" of snow up this way. Heck even flurries in the air would make me excited.

I had some small hail with a lgt T-storm that rolled through just before 8AM. Pea size, but still was pretty impressive.

Archived