Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a massive coastal, dear God. 5" precip for a lot of us, and the mountains see significant, warning level snow.

This is awesome to see, especially given it's late April. Didn't know you could get these systems this late.

Models are all in line, too, so it's not rogue. Rain holds out for us in the valley it appears until early evening Saturday.

Some big storms can occur in April... 17.2" of snowfall here in State College on April 28, 1928.

The most concerning thing about this potential storm is that many areas have leafed out already. Even a couple inches of heavy, wet snow can cause some problems. Still a few days out with plenty of time for significant changes so I guess we'll see.

Some big storms can occur in April... 17.2" of snowfall here in State College on April 28, 1928.

The most concerning thing about this potential storm is that many areas have leafed out already. Even a couple inches of heavy, wet snow can cause some problems. Still a few days out with plenty of time for significant changes so I guess we'll see.

Down here we had the October snow on leafed out trees and lost tons, so it's a significant problem.

Depending on how the leafing out is progressing up there, this would be crippling for many in the high elevations. A foot or more of gloppy snow on leafed out trees will bring a lot of them down, without even factoring in wind.

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/77000/77705/UnitedStates_2012098_lrg.jpg

some of the highest elevations are not fully green yet but this could still do damage if it were to occur

I saw tree damage from the 10/25/05 storm with just a few inches of snow in State College, and I heard the stories about all the damage in State College after the 11/15/95 storm. A foot of snow would be quite damaging for many areas. If it really blows up and there's even higher snow totals and more wind, it could even be devastating.

I saw tree damage from the 10/25/05 storm with just a few inches of snow in State College, and I heard the stories about all the damage in State College after the 11/15/95 storm. A foot of snow would be quite damaging for many areas. If it really blows up and there's even higher snow totals and more wind, it could even be devastating.

Trees leafing out on campus: http://146.186.221.252/cgi-bin/jpg/image.cgi

Oh man. Not good if we get significant snow.

Archived