joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

82 for a high here. Another day of 2500-3000j/kg of cape over a wide area of the Midwest. There's a chance that St. Patrick's Day will outdo some of the other holidays later this warm season when it comes to warmth/instability. Just amazing.

That would be something! I would say Easter and Memorial Day could easily be cooler then today in some areas.

My mind is all messed up i keep thinking my son is on summer break. It is amazing. never in my life expierenced summer in winter. Really is a shock to my body as life long Michigander. I love it but if i had to choose between 75 or full blown winter i would still pick winter this time of year but im enjoying every minute of this. My kids are loving life in this weather so it makes me very happy. Barbeque galore. Beer tastes better when its warm out and im 5 beers deep currently drinking Blue Moon spring ale...good sh*t!

E

The ECMWF has limited ENS support for its cool snap theory. No shocker there.

Anyways I decided to put all the winter crap back in storage. Summerized the snowblower and shelved the snow removal crap. If we get a monster April snowstorm I give full permission for someone to bump this post and laugh about it..lol

The ECMWF has limited ENS support for its cool snap theory. No shocker there.

Anyways I decided to put all the winter crap back in storage. Summarized the snowblower and shelved the snow removal crap. If we get a monster April snowstorm I give full permission for someone to bump this post and laugh about it..lol

Or just let it melt like I do. If it snows past March 1st, I just drive over it. I refuse to shovel or snowblow after that date.

Or just let it melt like I do. If it snows past March 1st, I just drive over it. I refuse to shovel or snowblow after that date.

I've never seen any April snowstorm come close to being a show stopper around metro Detroit. They melt within hours FTW.

Not once has my morning commute been screwed by snow in April.

I can't believe I actually lived through a winter with no winter. And now I have to endure 8 months of horse**** just to get to another chance at a coin-flip (maybe it'll snow next winter, maybe it won't). What a glorious existence.

And just a little rant about a b**ch named lake ontario. This overgrown toxic puddle provides me with splendid 48 degree days with dense fog like today when it's in the mid 70s and sunny just 20 miles inland, kills any chance at any severe wx, and ensures a sloppy mix of a shite while pure snow is piling up just to the north. The once every 5 years we actually get a half decent LES event off this great (ha) lake is not worth the rest of the dicking around.

I can't believe I actually lived through a winter with no winter. And now I have to endure 8 months of horse**** just to get to another chance at a coin-flip (maybe it'll snow next winter, maybe it won't). What a glorious existence.

And just a little rant about a b**ch named lake ontario. This overgrown toxic puddle provides me with splendid 48 degree days with dense fog like today when it's in the mid 70s and sunny just 20 miles inland, kills any chance at any severe wx, and ensures a sloppy mix of a shite while pure snow is piling up just to the north. The once every 5 years we actually get a half decent LES event off this great (ha) lake is not worth the rest of the dicking around.

:( I do sympathize with you

4th Consecutive 80+ day for ORD

INL up to 75 at 2pm...now that is absurd. Breaks the previous RECORD by 20 degrees. Breaks their all time March record (previous was 73 on 3/31/1963) Not easy to break a monthly record high during spring or fall in the middle of the month.

Actually, it hit 77 at INL for the high. Previous record high for today was 55 in 1968. Normal high is 35.

Today's low will be 52, assuming it stays above 52 through midnight. Normal low is 13.

This is jaw dropping...just another statistic in this amazing heatwave.

Marquette's all-time March record shattered by 4 degrees...

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI

645 PM EDT SAT MAR 17 2012

...ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AND OTHER RECORDS SET

TODAY AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE...

AN ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH OF 75 DEGREES WAS SET

AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE TODAY. THIS BROKE

THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 61 SET IN 1966. THE NORMAL HIGH AND LOW

TEMPERATURES AT THIS LOCATION ON MARCH 17TH IS 35 DEGREES AND 14

DEGREES.

THIS IS ONLY THE THIRD TIME EVER OF 70 DEGREES OR MORE IN MARCH. IT

HIT 71 DEGREES ON MARCH 8TH OF 2000 WHICH WAS THE PREVIOUS WARMEST

HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AND 70 DEGREES ON MARCH 31ST OF 2010.

THE LOW TEMPERATURE THIS MORNING AT THE OFFICE WAS 44 DEGREES. THIS

BROKE THE PREVIOUS WARMEST LOW FOR THIS DATE OF 36 SET IN 1966.

WEATHER RECORDS FOR THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE

LOCATED IN NEGAUNEE TOWNSHIP DATE BACK TO 1961.

71 degrees at Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula virtually surrounded by ice water!

http://www.erh.noaa....story/KP59.html

I can't even fathom those kind of conditions there at this time of the year. That must be incredibly record shattering.

Their winter sports economy must have taken a beating this week!

Yep...and Houghton MI hit 76...the "gateway" to the Keweenaw. Just incredible.

I was there in early Feb. for the Winter Carnival and the beautiful snow sculptures...I can't imagine how quickly everything melted this year.

Well it stayed around 45 to 50F here in my region lol....and I did have fog to haha.

But yeah....next winter better be worth it considering we've been getting slapped in the face for the past couple of years but it cant be any more worse right. For now...I'm enjoying this warmth....playing hockey, chilling...its all good.

BTW you live near the lake?

Day 4 of 70 degrees or better.. We headed for 80 Monday-Tuesday... I know Dayton set a record high today. Looks like we will go until Thursday with 70 degree days. Which would be 9 consectutive days. Which has to be a record for March. Looks like a small cool down Friday-Saturday before another spike the last week of March. Change should come at some point. Probably early April....

Lol. Best rant bro!

71 degrees at Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula virtually surrounded by ice water!

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KP59.html

I can't even fathom those kind of conditions there at this time of the year. That must be incredibly record shattering.

Their winter sports economy must have taken a beating this week!

I planned on heading up to Munising this weekend... Needless to say I didn't. The plans were made 3 weeks ago.

Marquette's all-time March record shattered by 4 degrees...

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI

645 PM EDT SAT MAR 17 2012

...ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AND OTHER RECORDS SET

TODAY AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE...

AN ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH OF 75 DEGREES WAS SET

AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE TODAY. THIS BROKE

THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 61 SET IN 1966. THE NORMAL HIGH AND LOW

TEMPERATURES AT THIS LOCATION ON MARCH 17TH IS 35 DEGREES AND 14

DEGREES.

THIS IS ONLY THE THIRD TIME EVER OF 70 DEGREES OR MORE IN MARCH. IT

HIT 71 DEGREES ON MARCH 8TH OF 2000 WHICH WAS THE PREVIOUS WARMEST

HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AND 70 DEGREES ON MARCH 31ST OF 2010.

THE LOW TEMPERATURE THIS MORNING AT THE OFFICE WAS 44 DEGREES. THIS

BROKE THE PREVIOUS WARMEST LOW FOR THIS DATE OF 36 SET IN 1966.

WEATHER RECORDS FOR THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE

LOCATED IN NEGAUNEE TOWNSHIP DATE BACK TO 1961.

I always take the NWS records at "Marquette" which isn't representative of the city of Marquette, but that's another topic, with a grain of salt as records only date to 1961. The 75 is still very impressive, but considering most of the other Midwest climate sites go back to the 1870s tossing in 70 degree counts is pointless when 1961 is the extent of record keeping. Basically anyone over the age of 51 can remember the big heat waves, snowstorms, and cold snaps before the record keeping era.

Archived