wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the record for least amount of snow in one winter and are we in NYC close to it?

ggem for monday looks weird and too far north - http://raleighwx.ame...bTSLPp06138.gif

would prefer to go with the GFS which takes the clipper off the Del Marva and keeps the precip south of us - could be a few inches for them --this winter is going to end up with more snow south of us for the season...

2001 had around 3" for the whole winter.

NYC is around 7" so far, with October and 4" without October.

It's a 2001-02 redux winter, for sure. October was incredible luck given a very brief window in the pattern, and was nothing but rain anyway for half of the area. The late Jan storm was a 2-4" deal for everyone outside the lucky swath in southern CT and MA, and we had nothing since up till now, when we get to watch Boston get nailed while we jump around in our puddles. :(

I'm kinda happy that someone's getting a winter storm, but call it a New York thing-I never like it when Boston gets everything and we get nothing. We benefitted other times at their expense, too.

On average Boston gets a lot more Snow than NYC. It is not unusual for them to get snow while we watch. I think a few years ago they have some ridiculous Sno total and we w NYC was getting nothing

It's a no brainer that they average more snow than we do but they've been screwed just as bad as we have this winter. It's even worse for places that average way more snow that get very little. If you average 20" and get 10", it's not so bad but if you average 60" and get 20" then your really getting screwed.

On average Boston gets a lot more Snow than NYC. It is not unusual for them to get snow while we watch. I think a few years ago they have some ridiculous Snow totals and NYC was getting nothing.

This has been one miserable winter. I am glad it is ending.

A lot more? We average 28 inches and they average 40. They are not exactly the Green Mountains of Vermont.

Of course when we need the south trend it does not help us. What an awful winter. 63 last year to 4 inches this winter. Just pathetic.

Since we average 28" in a normal winter and had two winters that were well above that, then were going to see a bad winter to average it all out. Everything usually averages itself out in the end and we'll get a truly bad year at least once a decade.

Based on that we will have about 5 bad or below normal winters of the next 6 or 7 to make up for the huge amounts of the previous 2

Since we average 28" in a normal winter and had two winters that were well above that, then were going to see a bad winter to average it all out. Everything usually averages itself out in the end and we'll get a truly bad year at least once a decade.

Yeah usually pre December snowfalls are a bad omen in this part of the country with the exception of 1995.

I have always heard that if you get snow in October , the upcoming winter will suck. That is the truth. The october storm sucked for my area. 2 inches of snow with temps in the mid 30s. I was under a winter storm warning for 6-10 inches. Fail.

Archived