joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z NAM trying to screw up Neg Nao's less than one inch February in NYC...and on the 29th day, no less. If the one inch barrier is broken, the month will be more in need of an asterisk than Roger Maris' 61st home run...

I'm excited for the Wednesday event. My office is roughly 500' up, so hopefully the elevation can mitigate the warmth of Midtown... it will be neat to see if there is a difference between what I'm seeing up there vs. the bottom, especially.

might be the last flakes you see until next year

annd trials told me no more banter threads? :blink:

0z NAM trying to screw up Neg Nao's less than one inch February in NYC...and on the 29th day, no less. If the one inch barrier is broken, the month will be more in need of an asterisk than Roger Maris' 61st home run...

You mean sammy sosa 66th?

1961: The year a record was broken, hearts were broken, and a man’s life was changed forever. Roger Maris will forever be known as the man that took Babe Ruth's record. The man that changed the record books. Maris was hated, booed, cussed, and generally abused by the press and fans for his chase of the most well-known mark in all of baseball: Babe Ruth's sixty single season home runs.

Maris began the year as just another hard-hitting Yankee. If anyone, his battery mate, and media darling, Mickey Mantle was scheduled to be the one to take over the spot on the all time homer list. "Mick" was loved by the fans and the press, Maris was not. In fact, whenever Maris hit one of his home runs, he was quickly reminded that it was only because Mantle was behind him that he even saw a good pitch to hit. In fact, Maris spent his entire record setting year cast as the villain in a media-soap opera, while his good friend, Mantle, was seen as the good guy whose own teammate was trying to steal his thunder.

Maris suffered greatly during the season. He actually lost his hair and had his and his families lives threatened. The most heartbreaking part of his 1961 saga came after his record breaking long ball. Commissioner Ford Frick decided that Maris' record would not stand against Ruth's because it was not done during the same number of games. The record was followed by the most famous asterisk in history. Maris could not take the pride he deserved in his great achievement. Speaking in 1980 he said: "They acted as though I was doing something wrong, poisoning the record books or something. Do you know what I have to show for sixty-one home runs? Nothing. Exactly nothing." What should have been one of baseball’s greatest achievements became one of its saddest stories.

Now, with great pride, Baseball Almanac presents, Roger Maris' truly remarkable record-breaking sixty-one steroid free home runs.

lol word

A little slower on the "lol" next time...I've seen a considerable amount of baseball in my day....we're talking back to Mathewson, Wagner, et al.

1961: The year a record was broken, hearts were broken, and a man’s life was changed forever. Roger Maris will forever be known as the man that took Babe Ruth's record. The man that changed the record books. Maris was hated, booed, cussed, and generally abused by the press and fans for his chase of the most well-known mark in all of baseball: Babe Ruth's sixty single season home runs.

Maris began the year as just another hard-hitting Yankee. If anyone, his battery mate, and media darling, Mickey Mantle was scheduled to be the one to take over the spot on the all time homer list. "Mick" was loved by the fans and the press, Maris was not. In fact, whenever Maris hit one of his home runs, he was quickly reminded that it was only because Mantle was behind him that he even saw a good pitch to hit. In fact, Maris spent his entire record setting year cast as the villain in a media-soap opera, while his good friend, Mantle, was seen as the good guy whose own teammate was trying to steal his thunder.

Maris suffered greatly during the season. He actually lost his hair and had his and his families lives threatened. The most heartbreaking part of his 1961 saga came after his record breaking long ball. Commissioner Ford Frick decided that Maris' record would not stand against Ruth's because it was not done during the same number of games. The record was followed by the most famous asterisk in history. Maris could not take the pride he deserved in his great achievement. Speaking in 1980 he said: "They acted as though I was doing something wrong, poisoning the record books or something. Do you know what I have to show for sixty-one home runs? Nothing. Exactly nothing." What should have been one of baseball’s greatest achievements became one of its saddest stories.

Now, with great pride, Baseball Almanac presents, Roger Maris' truly remarkable record-breaking sixty-one steroid free home runs.

A little slower on the "lol" next time...I've seen a considerable amount of baseball in my day....we're talking back to Mathewson, Wagner, et al.

Wow that is heartbreaking to read again... And yes baseball in the roid era was tainted. Now lets get some front end snow on LI, I would love to see the squall i saw on Saturday again!

Looks good here in New Paltz. lol

Wednesday: Snow, mainly after noon. High near 35. Calm wind becoming east between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Freezing rain and sleet, becoming all freezing rain after 4am. Low around 32. North wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday: Rain, freezing rain, and sleet likely before 1pm, then a chance of rain between 1pm and 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 41. North wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Did not know it was that bad for him William.....today they make it out to be a historical part of baseball and how it was embraced by all

ALL of the northern half of LI averages several more inches then your location.

Some parts average 5"-7" more then your area (Glen Cove to PJ)

I think this winter is no different...north shore long island around 6 inches for the winter, south shore and bk around 3...still PITIFUL TERRIBLE numbers. wow. Atrocious snow totals.

I think this winter is no different...north shore long island around 6 inches for the winter, south shore and bk around 3...still PITIFUL TERRIBLE numbers. wow. Atrocious snow totals.

Slushy inch for the October 29th storm, and 2-3" from the late Jan storm. That's it for us. 2001-02 redo, pretty much. I was hoping not to see another "winter" like that for much longer, guess I was mistaken!! :(

Archived