• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Obi-One-Marchobi Episode II (Feb 29/March 1 event)

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These overunning events in La Nina winters just aren't too kind once out into the Lake Plain. I remember 07-08 and a few events were busts from SYR west as the mild air just streamed in...and from here to central/northern NE they were good snow producers.

Of course this winter you needed at least 50-75 more miles north/east so we also were in the screw zone here except on Jan 12th.

NAM and GFS trended a bit colder in WNY on the 12z runs. Still very precarious...but maybe we can pull something off. SREF probs are awful.

Yeah, as of now I went coating in sw coastal ct, 1-2" on a line from dxr-snc-gon, 2-4" nw hills to ijd, 3-5 extreme NE corner with more out toward orh and bos (6"?)

Yeah, that sounds reasonable and in line with my thinking. An hour or two longer with snow is going to make a big difference with regards to totals... battle ground looks to set up over NE Ct for a while so they are the wild card.

Remember folks, all it takes is a thin layer or warm air aloft to create pingers or mangled flakeage. As Will pointed out, we will have a nice battle ground setting up in the mid levels between the high to the NE and the WAA surging in from the SW. All this will help to enhance low level convergence and lift... should be fun to watch.

Timing could make this a rough afternoon for school admins with buses heading home @ 2-3pm and heavier snow moving in.

I could see some earlier dismissals. My son's district delays/cancels/dismisses at the first sign of snow.

He had 2 snow days, and 3 delays after Rocktober. 1 town away, where my wife works and they got a little more snow, no delays or snow days...lol . She is hoping for no snow days. The only reason I would want one is to ski real snow at WaWa

Thinking back to my HS days in the stones ages of the early/mid 80's what would usually happen is they would want to get their lunches in so they'd dismiss immediately after the last lunch session...to beat the wx.

Timing could make this a rough afternoon for school admins with buses heading home @ 2-3pm and heavier snow moving in.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable and in line with my thinking. An hour or two longer with snow is going to make a big difference with regards to totals... battle ground looks to set up over NE Ct for a while so they are the wild card

Remember folks, all it takes is a thin layer or warm air aloft to create pingers or mangled flakeage. As Will pointed out, we will have a nice battle ground setting up in the mid levels between the high to the NE and the WAA surging in from the SW. All this will help to enhance low level convergence and lift... should be fun to watch.

Right. There'll be a significant warm tongue at ~800mb once the WAA begins which will be basically from the onset of precip in CT. It may be dumping in putnam and pinging in lisbon 15miles ssw.

I I seen this storms before that dump heavy snow in inland ct area likely afternoon and even and the warm never comes in or comes at the end of precip . Models will change back and forth so will likely go back colder run tonight again . i say 5-9 inches in northern ct area

Unscientific, but what often happens is the surge of waa falls as snow as the intensity is good and can overcome the encroaching warm layer.....then as the best passes the warm layer can win and you go to pingers.

Of course that does degrade snowflake quality before the actual sleet moves in.

I the NAM gives me 1.2" qpf ...I'd be happy if that yielded 6 inches of snow and/or snow/sleet.

Right. There'll be a significant warm tongue at ~800mb once the WAA begins which will be basically from the onset of precip in CT. It may be dumping in putnam and pinging in lisbon 15miles ssw.

Interesting Dave that I have just about caught up with you on season snowfall. But hey I would have traded in all those 1-3" LES scraps for the 20" in October probably. :)

I could see some earlier dismissals. My son's district delays/cancels/dismisses at the first sign of snow.

He had 2 snow days, and 3 delays after Rocktober. 1 town away, where my wife works and they got a little more snow, no delays or snow days...lol . She is hoping for no snow days. The only reason I would want one is to ski real snow at WaWa

Unscientific, but what often happens is the surge of waa falls as snow as the intensity is good and can overcome the encroaching warm layer.....then as the best passes the warm layer can win and you go to pingers.

Of course that does degrade snowflake quality before the actual sleet moves in.

I the NAM gives me 1.2" qpf ...I'd be happy if that yielded 6 inches of snow and/or snow/sleet.

Yeah I think you're good for atleast 6". But what I worry about for central and northern ct is that with about 1" qpf, you get .5-.7" as hvy accumulating snow wed afternoon and evening, with mangled flakes then pingers and rain on wed night and thursday. Some of that snow could be a lot of mangled flakes with warmth aloft...resulting in 2-5" despite a lot if it falling as 'snow'

Except I'd seriously doubt you get any plain rain through mid morning Thursday. I mean it may bounce into the mid 30's after that but it looks like the event is confined to areas north of CT at that point.

Yeah I think you're good for atleast 6". But what I worry about for central and northern ct is that with about 1" qpf, you get .5-.7" as hvy accumulating snow wed afternoon and evening, with mangled flakes then pingers and rain on wed night and thursday. Some of that snow could be a lot of mangled flakes with warmth aloft...resulting in 2-5" despite a lot if it falling as 'snow'

Except I'd seriously doubt you get any plain rain through mid morning Thursday. I mean it may bounce into the mid 30's after that but it looks like the event is confined to areas north of CT at that point.

Meant pingers through atleast 12z thurs with light precip and probably plain rain to atleast DXR HFD PVD by mid morning thurs...most damage done by then though.

You usually post that his school has cancelled about 3 days in advance of a storm.

Archived