12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 23-24th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less than 1/2" here, roads clear with light needle snow as of 5 am.  Might make a run at 2" with the last band.  Disappointing event.

Wow, that must be a nasty gradient. 3-6" reports in northern Cook county and 6-9" just north of that. I'd bet you had more than that but it was probably melting as it fell. I haven't checked out radar from overnight so I wonder if it's a case of you missing the heavier precip or the city warmth keeping amounts down.

Wow, that must be a nasty gradient. 3-6" reports in northern Cook county and 6-9" just north of that. I'd bet you had more than that but it was probably melting as it fell. I haven't checked out radar from overnight so I wonder if it's a case of you missing the heavier precip or the city warmth keeping amounts down.

That was at 5 am, heavy band came through shortly after, probably closer to 4" (which has probably already melted back to 2"). Judging by radar, we just missed the best returns. No big deal.

Storm is not done for Toronto region, as it continues to deepen and warm sector pushed off to southeast, rain may turn back to snow later and potential for 2-5 cms by midnight, meanwhile Ottawa and Montreal may pick up 20-30 cms as front stalls and deepening outstrips warm advection, however, some potential for thunder-sleet or ice pellets in the mix.

Storm is not done for Toronto region, as it continues to deepen and warm sector pushed off to southeast, rain may turn back to snow later and potential for 2-5 cms by midnight, meanwhile Ottawa and Montreal may pick up 20-30 cms as front stalls and deepening outstrips warm advection, however, some potential for thunder-sleet or ice pellets in the mix.

Thanks for your thoughts Roger but there's no chance we pick up more than a dusting. Comma head misses us way to the NW.

wow

just saw the bust in toronto....sorry guys.

i actually just drove into ottawa this AM and the snow has just begun here.

just not enough cold air around, without a nice temp gradient this wont be much here either with this track...i'm thinkinh 3-6 tops here, but likely closer to the low end.

there was zero snow on the ground when i drove through montreal, depressing.

wow

just saw the bust in toronto....sorry guys.

i actually just drove into ottawa this AM and the snow has just begun here.

just not enough cold air around, without a nice temp gradient this wont be much here either with this track...i'm thinkinh 3-6 tops here, but likely closer to the low end.

there was zero snow on the ground when i drove through montreal, depressing.

Not a total bust in north Toronto though. EC would have been better off issuing a winter storm warning as opposed to a snowfall warning as we've had steady snow and ice pellets in my part of the city.

This storm was most def worthy of a WSW giving the intense precip rates and timing. Areas to NE and NW have been fully justified of a WSW.

Indeed. NOAA actually called the timing and area quite accurately as far as FNT is concerned. Their "north of M-59" was spot on AFA snow depths are concerned. The storm tracked further north than they anticipated (right where I told the wife it would go) and there was far more snow north of US10 and far less south of M59.

LSPDTX as of 105PM indicated 4.0" @ Flint measured at 12:30PM. Here, 5 MI NW of KFNT, I can tell there's maybe an inch more and it's still coming down quite heavily. Friends on social media indicate the roads are quite a mess.

Watching the school closings list explode this morning was impressive and a couple districts waited until the last minute until they knew the ISD was closed to make their calls just under the wire.

Had the surface temps been in the freezing range a few hours earlier when the storm first hit, we'd probably be looking at 10 or more inches on the ground. I think that Lake Michigan probably contributed a fair bit of moisture as some of those bands were quite heavy once they were onshore.

Archived