• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Weekend Storm Discussion Part II, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

The EURO is out and shows a progressive pattern. The low moves from WSW to ENE.

Nothing is slowing it down and I'm guessing there will surely be a precipitation cut off and not much

making it north of NYC.

For MA:

My rough guess is that daytime Sunday will feature a rain/snow non-accumulating mix

and then by sunset, there will be 1 to 3 inch accumulations in the climatologically favored pattern

with best amouts along and NW of the "Fall Line".

Yeah, welcome to an hour ago.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the chances that a low bombs out to 992 and best deform sets up on an EZF - CHO - ROA axis are pretty slim imo

I think that's the one thing that might be a good thing for DC area given where models are right now. With the confluence over New England, this will almost certain have a very sharp and strong band on the nrn edge. That's just how it works with these types of deals. So in your scenario which is certainly plausible..a 30 or 40 mile shift in 72 hrs could bring that into the city. We're not talking 6-10" by any means, but like Wes hinted at, would be the difference between a slushy inch where the trees are dripping water..and perhaps a few inches or slightly better.

I think the chances of DCA getting 4"+ are slim....even if the guidance settled on a 4-7" event area wide, I'd expect DCA in this setup to put up a 2.9"

lol- making a call to the .1? You're probably right too.

I really enjoy your view and appreciate the daily dose you provide when we have threats. Part of the art is gut instinct and at times I think your gut out performs the models.

When wes mentioned earlier about the models having a "hiccup" I went back to all the 500 panels and analyzed to the best of my limited ability so I could try and predict the direction of the "hiccup" and I was right this time. I felt that any jog that would make us unhappy would be one to the south. I'm not sure the euro is really a "hiccup" because it could be right but at least my hunch from this morning was right.

At the very least, I like the fact that the potential for the system getting pulled too far north is just about off the table. With the ns vort clearly staying out in front of the ss one, we don't really have to worry about the storm phasing in a way that pulls it inland and overhead. We don't really have a big block up north that can just flex its muscle and push everything of the nc coast while we have sunshine either.

I'm pretty much in your camp and feel the same way. The odds do favor the storm to evolve similar to the 12z gfs and not the 12z euro. I do expect (if not tonight) tomorrow's model runs to pretty much agree on putting us in the proverbial blue stripe. The best part about being a weenie is that if I'm wrong, nobody will care much but those are my thoughts anyway.

GSP AFD from NC says the 12Z Euro initialized poorly so it should be taken with a grain of salt

From GSP

...12Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF IN DECENT AGREEMENT

REGARDING SYSTEM FOR SAT-SUN WITH THE SLOWER NAM POORLY INITIALZED

AND CONSIDERED AN OUTLIER. THE 12 ECMWF ALSO INITLIALZED POORLY SO

IT WAS NOT USED.

We do! Just get a job here ;) Yea the 12z Euro grazes DC but no reason to whine, the precip gradient is tight so a relatively small adjustment north with a bit more of an expanded precip field like the GFS and DC is in business.

I probably missed my calling in life but it's a heck of a fun hobby anyway. I read a met 101 text in college just for fun (i'm part geek I think). Didn't take a single science class though. I love having access to boards like this. Where else can you speak directly to mets and bounce ideas off them? I plan of working e-wood this spring for severe analysis. Just started kicking the tires last year but I think this year I'll keep the hobby alive after march 15th.

I agree with most peoples assessments of the euro run. Close enough to not freak out in any way. I don't even know why we ever expect models to stick to a solution for days and not jump around a bit. We all want them too but man, it's never gonna happen and I'm never gonna learn.

Perfext weekedn for this!

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

523 PM EST TUE FEB 14 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...NWS STERLING RADAR KLWX DUAL-POLARIZATION UPGRADE AHEAD OF

SCHEDULE...

THE STERLING VIRGINIA WSR-88D RADAR /KLWX/ WILL BE DOWN FOR AN

UPGRADE TO DUAL-POLARIZATION TECHNOLOGY /DUAL-POL/ STARTING THIS

FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 17TH...THROUGH FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 24TH. THE

PREVIOUS SCHEDULE WAS FOR THE INSTALLATION TO OCCUR THE LAST TWO

WEEKS OF MARCH 2012.

WHILE THE RADAR IS DOWN FOR THESE UPGRADES...NEIGHBORING WSR-88D

RADARS THAT WILL BE UTILIZED ARE...

KDOX - DOVER DE

KAKQ - WAKEFIELD VA

KFCX - ROANOKE VA

KRLX - CHARLESTON WV

KPBZ - PITTSBURGH PA

KCTP - STATE COLLEGE PA

KDIX - MT HOLLY NJ

TWO OF THESE NEIGHBORING RADARS HAVE ALREADY BEEN UPGRADED TO DUAL-

POLARIZATION TECHNOLOGY:

KPBZ - PITTSBURGH PA

KDIX - MT HOLLY NJ

TO SUPPLEMENT THE DATA SUITE...WE ALSO WILL USE THE FOLLOWING FAA

TERMINAL DOPPLER WEATHER RADARS /TDWRS/ DURING THE INSTALLATION

PERIOD...

TBWI - BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON

TADW - ANDREWS AFB

TDCA - REAGAN NATIONAL

TIAD - DULLES

DUAL-POL TECHNOLOGY OFFERS A NEW SET OF TOOLS TO BETTER

DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN RAIN...SNOW...HAIL...MIXED PRECIPITATION AND

NON-PRECIPITATION ECHOES. THIS UPGRADE PROVIDES FORECASTERS WITH

BETTER RAINFALL ACCUMULATION ESTIMATES AND ENHANCED INFORMATION TO

MORE EFFECTIVELY FORECAST SEVERE STORMS AND WINTER WEATHER.

DUAL-POL UTILIZES A POLARMETRIC BEAM THAT DETECTS DIFFERENCES

BETWEEN THE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION OF ATMOSPHERIC

TARGETS. CONVENTIONAL RADAR ONLY DETECTS THE HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION.

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DUAL POLARIZATION UPGRADE...AND FOR ACCESS

TO DUAL-POL TRAINING FOR NON-NWS METEOROLOGISTS...PLEASE VISIT...

WWW.WDTB.NOAA.GOV/COURSES/DUALPOL/OUTREACH - /ALL LOWER CASE/

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR QUESTION...PLEASE CONTACT...

GREG SCHOOR /RADAR OPERATIONS PROGRAM LEADER/

[email protected]

15Z SREFs are further north than last run

this morning's run had .25" stopping at DCA/BWI while 15Z run has us almost half way between .25" and .5" lines

I know all about the SREFs, but it's just more support for a possible north trend some of us are looking for and everyone in DCA/BWI are hoping for

Interesting note on the 15z SREFs. Note the SLP placement. See the orange? If I am reading that correctly, then a majority of the SREF members are placing are placing the SLP more north Probably a bit too close for our liking though

sref_namer_075_mslp.gif

yeah, but moving the SLP closer to that orange circle would put DCA/BWI proper in the heavy bands

euro ens mean is good bit wetter than the op but further south than last night. .25"+ makes it to pa/md border with .5"+ right about DC and south. 1"+ far se va and into nc.

comparo: 0z had .5"+ into s pa. and precip into central ny. on 12z northern edge is in n pa.

surface track similar to op but doesnt take the hard east turn at the nc outer banks.

15Z SREFs are further north than last run

this morning's run had .25" stopping at DCA/BWI while 15Z run has us almost half way between .25" and .5" lines

I know all about the SREFs, but it's just more support for a possible north trend some of us are looking for and everyone in DCA/BWI are hoping for

I think trends are really the key. Today it seems to be waffling a bit. I think by tomorrow about this time, we'll have a much better idea.

I just saw this over at HPC:

http://www.hpc.ncep....php?disc=pmdhmd

THE SOLUTION SPREAD IS QUITE SUBSTANTIAL FROM SATURDAY

ONWARD...WITH THE LOW'S TRACK POSSIBLY DEPENDENT UPON THE

EVOLUTION AND INTERACTIONS OF 3 SEPARATE SHORTWAVE TROUGHS MOVING

TO ITS NORTH. MODEL INITIALIZATION OF THESE SYSTEMS IS A

CONCERN...PARTICULARLY THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH ENTERING BRITISH

COLUMBIA...WITH MID-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS FIELDS FROM THE GFS ALIGNING

BEST WITH THE STRUCTURE SEEN ON WATER VAPOR IMAGERY COMPARED TO

THE NAM AND ECMWF...WHICH APPEAR WORST. AMONG THE REMAINING

SOLUTIONS...THE CANADIAN PRODUCES AN OUTLIER SOLUTION CROSSING THE

Just saw this over in the NYC thread

something is wrong with the NAM...it's only out to 12, even on my pay site

I don't see anything in the logs and I'm not in the building today if they made any announcements. From the status page, it started on time but is definitely running slow. We've been having a lot of machine issues lately.....

I don't see anything in the logs and I'm not in the building today if they made any announcements. From the status page, it started on time but is definitely running slow. We've been having a lot of machine issues lately.....

Thats what it probably is... its just really slow cause I have been stuck at 18 for the past 5-10 mins

Archived