Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Weekend Storm Discussion Part II, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

12z GFS BUFKIT for BWI

120219/0900Z 69 25003KT 40.1F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.063 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.06 0| 0|100

120219/1200Z 72 04010KT 38.8F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.039 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

----------------------------------------------+----++-----+-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---

120219/1500Z 75 04012KT 36.5F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.154 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.26 0| 0|100

120219/1800Z 78 03015KT 34.7F RASN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.138 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.39 28| 0| 72

120219/2100Z 81 01017KT 33.6F RASN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.169 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.56 47| 0| 53

120220/0000Z 84 36014KT 33.8F RASN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.087 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.65 45| 0| 55

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its absolutely important to regard the GGEM and UKMET, at least with respect to their 500 hPa evolution. In terms of autocorrelation scores, the ECMWF, UKMET, GFS, and GGEM are clustered very closely together. In fact the GFS is in third place with both the UKMET and ECWMF having significantly highly AC scores. The GGEM is just marginally worse than the GFS.

2hg8iec.png

Real quick correction those are anomaly correlations .... Autocorrelation is a very different thing.

I think its absolutely important to regard the GGEM and UKMET, at least with respect to their 500 hPa evolution. In terms of autocorrelation scores, the ECMWF, UKMET, GFS, and GGEM are clustered very closely together. In fact the GFS is in third place with both the UKMET and ECWMF having significantly highly AC scores. The GGEM is just marginally worse than the GFS.

What does the vertical axis represent?

2hg8iec.png

Yeah like I said, I look at it for guidance, but with limited products available to most people..I just wouldn't drastically change a forecast based on what the Ukie says. I think the other op models and ensembles fill that void just fine...I know it has scored well in the overall 500mb pattern, but I think it can be unstable at times. It certainly would give me confidence if it was in one model camp or the other.

Real quick correction those are anomaly correlations .... Autocorrelation is a very different thing.

Yep you are correct... thats what happens when you type stuff up too quickly :axe:

Yeah like I said, I look at it for guidance, but with limited products available to most people..I just wouldn't drastically change a forecast based on what the Ukie says. I think the other op models and ensembles fill that void just fine...I know it has scored well in the overall 500mb pattern, but I think it can be unstable at times. It certainly would give me confidence if it was in one model camp or the other.

Exactly, The problem is the lack of products available for forecasting which is why most folks considering it an afterthought rather than a creme of the crop model. However, in terms of looking at the overall synoptic pattern, I put a lot of trust in what the UKMET is showing. More than anything, however, I think they are highlighting the large uncertainty that still exists in the forecast, and I think there is still a potential for large swings in either direction in the next 24 hours before all the shortwave features are resolved properly.

Yep you are correct... thats what happens when you type stuff up too quickly :axe:

Exactly, The problem is the lack of products available for forecasting which is why most folks considering it an afterthought rather than a creme of the crop model. However, in terms of looking at the overall synoptic pattern, I put a lot of trust in what the UKMET is showing. More than anything, however, I think they are highlighting the large uncertainty that still exists in the forecast, and I think there is still a potential for large swings in either direction in the next 24 hours before all the shortwave features are resolved properly.

The UKMet is a fine model. However, the difference in skill between the GFS, UKMet, and CMC models is closer than that figure implies. The only model that is better, using this metric, with 95% statistical significance (at least in recent years) is the ECMWF (this is true for many variables, metrics, and levels). Also keep in mind that it's a global, time averaged metric...so it doesn't always necessarily translate to skill for discrete events.

72 hrs away and the models are NOT in full agreement

not one legit threat this year ended up exactly as modeled by the consensus 72 hrs out; and correct me if I am wrong, but every threat that had us with a decent event at that time range was wrong, wasn't it? how did 3/1/09 or 12/09 look 3 days out?

anyway, it's called a "roller coaster" ride; so sit back and enjoy it and quit barfing all over everyone's screen

definitely wouldn't toss myself off the washington monument yet over that euro run.

but one thing to watch out for is growing consensus for a very sharp northern edge to this. so the gradient between steady precip / accumulating snows and virtually nothing at all might be very tight...and factor in a somewhat sloppy antecedent air mass - you'll want to be under the good lift no doubt.

well if wasnt supported by the UKIE and Canadian, maybe...as it is, it is hard to ignore. Still time to go, of course.

I think this is a good time to retrench a bit and dig back into our personal computer model and remember how these things have shaken out in the past.

We're still 72 hours and and these types of oscillations are to be expected. Big swings are over but now we deal with the moving bullseye. If I had a gun to my head and had to make the call, i would still lean towards the gfs. No saying this being a weenie either. More often than not, a miller A with this track and evolution does not end up shunted off to the east down in NC. It happens, but not as often as getting significant precip from ric-dca-phl-acy.

Archived