Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter Cont'd cont'd

The Iceman

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday Night

Overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a chance of snow and rain showers. Low of 27F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 9 in. possible.

Anyone know if this is a new product, this is the wunderground forecast for york, pa area. LOL.

zip 17363

I'm just busting on ya since last night you said the Ukie was garbage. :P

I think we all stand pretty well. Usually the solutions end up between the GFS and Euro. So at least plain rain can pretty much be written off.

I think it is. Last night it was a complete miss. Now it is like gfs. It flips flops like every run.

I'll try this again in the real thread...someone needs to close the old one. I'm looking forward to dual pol data for Central PA!

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

546 PM EST WED FEB 15 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...NWS STATE COLLEGE KCCX WILL BE UPGRADED TO DUAL POLARIZATION AND BE OUT OF SERVICE DURING LATE FEBRUARY THIS YEAR.

THE STATE COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA WSR-88D RADAR /KCCX/ WILL BE DOWN FOR AN UPGRADE TO DUAL POLARIZATION TECHNOLOGY /DUAL-POL/ DURING THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2012. THIS IS THE LARGEST HARDWARE UPGRADE

TO THE RADAR SINCE ITS DEPLOYMENT IN THE EARLY 1990S.

DUAL-POL TECHNOLOGY OFFERS A NEW SET OF TOOLS TO BETTER DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN RAIN...SNOW...HAIL...MIXED PRECIPITATION AND NON-PRECIPITATION ECHOES. THIS UPGRADE PROVIDES FORECASTERS WITH BETTER RAINFALL ACCUMULATION ESTIMATES AND ENHANCED INFORMATION TO MORE EFFECTIVELY FORECAST SEVERE STORMS AND WINTER WEATHER.

DUAL-POL UTILIZES A POLARIMETRIC BEAM THAT DETECTS DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION OF ATMOSPHERIC TARGETS. CONVENTIONAL RADAR ONLY DETECTS THE HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION.

THE ROUGHLY WEEK LONG INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH AND WILL BE COMPLETED BY MARCH 2ND. DURING THIS TIME...NEIGHBORING WSR-88D RADARS MAY BE USED AS FOLLOWS...

KDIX - MT HOLLY NJ

KLWX - STERLING VA

KPBZ - PITTSBURGH PA

KBUF - BUFFALO NY

KBGM - BINGHAMTON NY

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DUAL POLARIZATION UPGRADE... AND FOR ACCESS TO DUAL-POL TRAINING FOR NON-NWS METEOROLOGISTS...PLEASE VISIT...

WWW.WDTB.NOAA.GOV/COURSES/DUALPOL/OUTREACH /ALL LOWER CASE/

THIS MESSAGE WILL BE RESENT ON FEBRUARY 21ST...AND AGAIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS...PLEASE CONTACT...

GREG DEVOIR /RADAR OPERATIONS PROGRAM LEADER/

[email protected]

I'll try this again in the real thread...someone needs to close the old one. I'm looking forward to dual pol data for Central PA!

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

546 PM EST WED FEB 15 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...NWS STATE COLLEGE KCCX WILL BE UPGRADED TO DUAL POLARIZATION AND BE OUT OF SERVICE DURING LATE FEBRUARY THIS YEAR.

THE STATE COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA WSR-88D RADAR /KCCX/ WILL BE DOWN FOR AN UPGRADE TO DUAL POLARIZATION TECHNOLOGY /DUAL-POL/ DURING THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2012. THIS IS THE LARGEST HARDWARE UPGRADE

TO THE RADAR SINCE ITS DEPLOYMENT IN THE EARLY 1990S.

DUAL-POL TECHNOLOGY OFFERS A NEW SET OF TOOLS TO BETTER DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN RAIN...SNOW...HAIL...MIXED PRECIPITATION AND NON-PRECIPITATION ECHOES. THIS UPGRADE PROVIDES FORECASTERS WITH BETTER RAINFALL ACCUMULATION ESTIMATES AND ENHANCED INFORMATION TO MORE EFFECTIVELY FORECAST SEVERE STORMS AND WINTER WEATHER.

DUAL-POL UTILIZES A POLARIMETRIC BEAM THAT DETECTS DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION OF ATMOSPHERIC TARGETS. CONVENTIONAL RADAR ONLY DETECTS THE HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION.

THE ROUGHLY WEEK LONG INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH AND WILL BE COMPLETED BY MARCH 2ND. DURING THIS TIME...NEIGHBORING WSR-88D RADARS MAY BE USED AS FOLLOWS...

KDIX - MT HOLLY NJ

KLWX - STERLING VA

KPBZ - PITTSBURGH PA

KBUF - BUFFALO NY

KBGM - BINGHAMTON NY

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DUAL POLARIZATION UPGRADE... AND FOR ACCESS TO DUAL-POL TRAINING FOR NON-NWS METEOROLOGISTS...PLEASE VISIT...

WWW.WDTB.NOAA.GOV/COURSES/DUALPOL/OUTREACH /ALL LOWER CASE/

THIS MESSAGE WILL BE RESENT ON FEBRUARY 21ST...AND AGAIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS...PLEASE CONTACT...

GREG DEVOIR /RADAR OPERATIONS PROGRAM LEADER/

[email protected]

I literally just read this on the CTP page about 2 minutes ago haha. I'm gonna have to see about getting that dual polarization package for my gr2analyst. That'll be a blast if we get any winter storms during that period of time when the radars down.

I literally just read this on the CTP page about 2 minutes ago haha. I'm gonna have to see about getting that dual polarization package for my gr2analyst. That'll be a blast if we get any winter storms during that period of time when the radars down.

Yeah the precip will be a total surprise...should be interesting. I have RadarScope on my phone, so I'll have access to dual pol once it's up and running. Awesome app.

Watch first severe event of the year occur that week

Just thinking out loud here... I was reading about some errors with the GFS. I' m I correct they won't be corrected until this upcoming run.

Also I was wondering once the Euro heads that far ENE what is the percentage of it coming back?

Tomorrow the Nam should be in it's range. It will be interesting what it does.

Wouldn't want to be a Met this weekend.

Tony and Mag you got this figured out yet? :-)

Just thinking out loud here... I was reading about some errors with the GFS. I' m I correct they won't be corrected until this upcoming run.

Also I was wondering once the Euro heads that far ENE what is the percentage of it coming back?

Tomorrow the Nam should be in it's range. It will be interesting what it does.

Wouldn't want to be a Met this weekend.

Tony and Mag you got this figured out yet? :-)

I'll be the first to say the long range NAM should be taken with a biiiig grain of salt. But I'm cautiously optimistic-along with some others here-now that the (if somewhat improperly initialized) GFS has been onboard for two runs along with the UKMET. If the Euro even trends toward the GFS it'll be good news.

Archived