amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the 18z NAM looks really favorable for NC. It has the southern stream low in almost the identical position as the 12z CMC, and the northern stream looks better defined, with more confluence which could lead to a stronger high.

Thanks for the input and time. I agree, and as the poster above mentioned it should make for an interesting DGEX map to atleast gawk at for a few minutes.

Per ORH-wxman in the NE sub, EC ensembles are more amped than the op and not as far SE. Roughly 1/3 of the group that are pretty wound up, and majority (2/3) of the others are not. Mean takes a track through southern GA to off the NC coast, elongated system, kind of strung out but that is to be expected from a consensus of mixed solutions.

The NAM looks better than any other model to me at this point (not just this run)....not it's strong suit outside of 48-54 hours though.

Exactly but it certainly is interesting to see. For what it's worth during that time frame it has been bullish about the energy hitting the baja and it's strength...but of course where it goes from there could be anyone's guess. Figure even when it gets in it's range it will change a lot but at least for now it has the path setup.

Exactly but it certainly is interesting to see. For what it's worth during that time frame it has been bullish about the energy hitting the baja and it's strength...but of course where it goes from there could be anyone's guess. Figure even when it gets in it's range it will change a lot but at least for now it has the path setup.

The nam has been consistent. The last three dgex runs are an example of that. Even though its not a great model.

I agree with the above, that looks pretty good/borderline great at 84hrs, cutoff wrapping up in SE Canada, and check out the heights in the MA compared to the GFS, over 100m difference. Cold front coming through the Carolinas Friday night... :popcorn:

Euro ensemble mean is definitely a bit more impressive than the operational. Low is more consolidated on the mean than the operational interestingly enough. Track is a touch further north in response.

post-390-0-13230400-1329254145.png

It looks like the 50/50 low is pretty amped up on the Euro ensemble mean too, or am I reading that wrong?

I can't say I'm buying back into this thing but the NAM's output and the Ensemble mean output versus the operationals are interesting. Seems like a huge difference.

It looks like the 50/50 low is pretty amped up on the Euro ensemble mean too, or am I reading that wrong?

I can't say I'm buying back into this thing but the NAM's output and the Ensemble mean output versus the operationals are interesting. Seems like a huge difference.

As Matt posted earlier because there are so many players on the field so to speak you'll get many solutions as each model times everything different. This will be a fun roller-coaster ride we just have to hope the track doesn't derail at the very last loop.

I agree with the above, that looks pretty good/borderline great at 84hrs, cutoff wrapping up in SE Canada, and check out the heights in the MA compared to the GFS, over 100m difference. Cold front coming through the Carolinas Friday night... :popcorn:

Question if the DGEX comes in with another slam, has it ever been this consistent? I mean it's been hinting something for a few runs now (although 18z yesterday may have been off). I hate to even ask that question but jeez it sure is ringing that bell.

I will probably get slammed for saying this -- and certainly have to data to support my claim -- but it seems to me that for a few storms last year and in year's past, the DGEX was actually first to pick up on the potential for a "big dog."

Question if the DGEX comes in with another slam, has it ever been this consistent? I mean it's been hinting something for a few runs now (although 18z yesterday may have been off). I hate to even ask that question but jeez it sure is ringing that bell.

You don't even want to look at the 18z DGEX man, trust me. As Ian put it yesterday in the MA sub, the DGEX is like the NAM on psychedelic mushrooms, and this run lives up to that. Cuts the primary up through the TN Valley and then transfers to the NC coast, yep, you guessed it, a Miller B, no joke...

18zdgex850mbTSLPp06_county132.gif

Clobbers the 95 corridor from BWI-NYC

You don't even want to look at the 18z DGEX man, trust me. As Ian put it yesterday in the MA sub, the DGEX is like the NAM on psychedelic mushrooms, and this run lives up to that. Cuts the primary up through the TN Valley and then transfers to the NC coast, yep, you guessed it, a Miller B, no joke...

Yuck...guess we know what JB is about to tweet next. Wow, wouldn't have guessed that guess I got what I deserved asking about the consistency of the DGEX.

I will probably get slammed for saying this -- and certainly have to data to support my claim -- but it seems to me that for a few storms last year and in year's past, the DGEX was actually first to pick up on the potential for a "big dog."

This is especially the case with southern impulses. The main reason is b/c the global models tend to shear out s/w's prematurely (especially the GFS). The dgex tends to maintain them better and as a result it tends to pick up on stronger storms sooner. This use to be much more prevalent back in the early 2000's. I remember the old school ETA and ETAX were the same way. There was a storm several years ago(a bust btw) that had RDU getting over 3 inches of qpf in the form of snow. I want to say it was the Dec2000 bust, but I can't recall for sure. Needless to say this was a result of overdoing s/w's and phasing. The current GFS use to be this way under the AVN and MRF versions. That's why modelology is all about taking the middle road.

Yeah -- maybe the DGEX loaned it a few bags of whatever it was smoking ....

Also, the S/w off the Pacifc NW coast is stronger and faster....

18z GFS looks to give us yet another solution @87 our energy in TX is taking on a neutral tilt and looks to maybe partially phase with some energy that was diving into the plains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

18z GFS looks to give us yet another solution @87 our energy in TX is taking on a neutral tilt and looks to maybe partially phase with some energy that was diving into the plains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Another run of the GFS and another solution completely different from the last. 1006mb in the mouth of the MS @ 96HR. Looks like it's going to run inland this time.

Archived