Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close but no cigar... Nothing like 6z no surprise, if anything, a split between the 0z Euro/GFS. Richmond is on the northern fringe, nice to see a hp over the lakes again, just need that to trend stronger which is in no way out of the realm since yesterday most of te guidance had a weak disturbance there.

not looking good when euro and gfs are both trending where we don't want. May have hope if it was just one but euro started inland and now gfs starting to change as well

The GFS is far from a trend inland. Just 6 hours ago it had it suppressed down into Florida. Also Euro hasn't trended either, just one run. Let's give it at least until Thursday before making any judgement on trends. GFS is also a good track for your back yard just no cold air in place to lock down.

cold as portrayed has always been marginal (at best). In the end, that will probably be our undoing for this storm. Even with what appears to be a great track for eastern TN and western NC we can't even spot snow for the mountains.

Perhaps future runs will trend toward more cold. If it's going to start trending, 3-4 days out is usually the time we see that.

I most are giving too much weight to the latest GFS/euro. The GFS went to nice hit, to too far south, to too warm. I think this is just classic flip flopping by the model. Bottom line is there is a decent hp over the lakes and lp down south - what's not to like. I think we still need to give it time. As for the euro, one flip from storm to warm is not a trend. If it is yet again warm @ 12z, then yes there's a trend. Give it some more time.

TW

Gotta look at the features aloft...

So far in examining this potential storm we have all worried about the timing of the southern stream. Unfortuantely the 12z GFS shows a lack of a 50/50 low in Canada. SO in reality the roles are reversed...southern streams looks healthy, northern stream is the problem. Just check out the differences in Southeast Canada between 0z and 12z. runs...

0z 132 hours...

00zgfs500mbvort132.gif

12z at 120 hours...

12zgfs500mbvort120.gif

The reality is "it's too early to worry about temps" and "the setup is right, don't sweat the details" is almost always code for: "No model is showing enough cold air," which happens to be the case with this system. Is there a chance? Sure. But outside of the mountains and northern foothills of NC, I'd say accumulating snow is a 2 out of 10 shot at best. Still, that's better than the ZERO we've experienced all winter. Still hoping for a miracle to save this God-forsaken winter.

cold as portrayed has always been marginal (at best). In the end, that will probably be our undoing for this storm. Even with what appears to be a great track for eastern TN and western NC we can't even spot snow for the mountains.

Perhaps future runs will trend toward more cold. If it's going to start trending, 3-4 days out is usually the time we see that.

i am not optimistic at all for most of us this weekend. if yesterday/last night is any indication then once again that the temps stop falling just above freezing giving us more cold rain. with all the cold earlier in the winter in canada and alaska its frustrating that we are just a few degrees too warm. the marginal cold this year has been irritating to say the least :axe:

Good point -- I was just noticing the 12 Canadian does the same thing -- much weaker 50/50 low.

Gotta look at the features aloft...

So far in examining this potential storm we have all worried about the timing of the southern stream. Unfortuantely the 12z GFS shows a lack of a 50/50 low in Canada. SO in reality the roles are reversed...southern streams looks healthy, northern stream is the problem. Just check out the differences in Southeast Canada between 0z and 12z. runs...

0z 132 hours...

00zgfs500mbvort132.gif

12z at 120 hours...

12zgfs500mbvort120.gif

actually, at 120 hours the GGEM looks a little more encouraging than the GFS. It has a 1004 LP over the FL Panhandle with a 1032 HP centered near International Falls, MN. The southern vort is also taking on a neutral/negative tilt and the critical thicknesses are closer to the VA/NC border. The 132 and 144 hour maps could prove interesting, perhaps.

For a classic interior SC,GA type snowfall we would definitely want this to take a Central FL track while it rapidly deepens,. NC would get some too, but the moisture would be limited for them unless it bombs off the coast. The closer the low is to you the more WAA you deal with and thus, the cold is gone. For NC, the low needs to track around 100 miles+ further South to give them a good wallop. The lack of cold air in place before the system so it can "throw moisture up into cold air" doesn't look too well for anyone though. It's not until the Sunday time-frame so we shall see.

actually, at 120 hours the GGEM looks a little more encouraging than the GFS. It has a 1004 LP over the FL Panhandle with a 1032 HP centered near International Falls, MN. The southern vort is also taking on a neutral/negative tilt and the critical thicknesses are closer to the VA/NC border. The 132 and 144 hour maps could prove interesting, perhaps.

12z Canadian @ 132HR. 1030mb HP over Iowa. 997mb off NC coast. First time I've seem a 1030mb HP modeled during this timeframe.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/12_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_132.jpg

The reality is "it's too early to worry about temps" and "the setup is right, don't sweat the details" is almost always code for: "No model is showing enough cold air," which happens to be the case with this system. Is there a chance? Sure. But outside of the mountains and northern foothills of NC, I'd say accumulating snow is a 2 out of 10 shot at best. Still, that's better than the ZERO we've experienced all winter. Still hoping for a miracle to save this God-forsaken winter.

Exactly. And "evaporational cooling", and "pulling down cold air" is another two code words for not cold enough. I'll give the Euro a chance. If it's still warm I'm moving on....

ukmet is very weak and ots. I'm not even sure it has a storm.... The 500mb wave gets completely squashed.

Just saw that, thought I was missing something, but you are right, UKMET pretty much looses any gulf low and no real surface reflection off the SE coast, at least per the crappy meteociel maps.

Canadian is very close if not a NE NC - SE VA thump between 126 & 138.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Archived