northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darn I just wish this would happen about 200 miles to the SW so folks here in SC and down in GA could join in the fun. Hopefully this works out for the NC crowd though.

Thank you, sir! I've now gotten 3/4's of an inch and the heaviest, and steadiest is falling now. If you guys can convert this to white delight, then you'll be rockin' :) T

WOW great run for I-40 North and quite a few other folks farther south.

I really dont have all that much knowledge in weather but I love to follow the models and I really just like to soak up all this great wisdom from people on this forum.(thanks to everyone).But how is Blacksburg and Raleigh not issuing a advisory or warning in this area.The local mets are still going with >1 in for the whole event and saying it will be mostly rain.A lot of people could be harmed by them not taking any action.

I know you guys are excited - but the nam went crazy warm in tennessee on this run. It also lost a ton of qpf, which is probably part of the reason temps are much higher.

NAM was showing highs in the mid 30s in Nashville for the last 5 runs or so. Now our high tomorrow is nearing 50 degrees.

Maybe its a model hiccup - if its not, then I'd suggest not putting your hopes for NC snow on the NAM.

WHat happens on the other side of the mountains has no baring on NC with the cold air drainage from the north.

I know you guys are excited - but the nam went crazy warm in tennessee on this run. It also lost a ton of qpf, which is probably part of the reason temps are much higher.

NAM was showing highs in the mid 30s in Nashville for the last 5 runs or so. Now our high tomorrow is nearing 50 degrees.

Maybe its a model hiccup - if its not, then I'd suggest not putting your hopes for NC snow on the NAM.

We're within 24 hours of a warning criteria event (potential), and under the new criteria rules at that. Will Blacksburg / RDU really wait until Dr No runs later tonight to issue? They have to get something out for the 11pm news cycle, no?

I would not want to be in the NWS RAH forecast chair tonight. Tough call all the way around I think.

Have you seen the secondary vort max that moves through? It doesn't look nearly as concentrated...looks almost strung out instead of in a ball-like shape that we saw earlier...maybe that could be it? I mean, in terms of magnitude, it looks the same but as far as organization, it is not shaped the same. Less organized vorticity leads to less defined deformation band.

Edit: Also, as someone else noted above, it looks like it phases a little late.

One thing and not sure why yet, but the nam sim radar does not show the definition we saw earlier with the backside band as we did earlier

Was just looking at it now. Definitely a difference there. Something to keep an eye on, but its not surprising given the complex interactions at play here.

Have you seen the secondary vort max that moves through? It doesn't look nearly as concentrated...looks almost strung out instead of in a ball-like shape that we saw earlier...maybe that could be it? I mean, in terms of magnitude, it looks the same but as far as organization, it is not shaped the same. Less organized vorticity leads to less defined deformation band.

Edit: Also, as someone else noted above, it looks like it phases a little late.

If we could get a perfect timed phase than central NC and CLT could get into some good snow, we see what happens with a late phase and with an early phase it jackpots NVA...

This is likely a fine line between the separation ncmet, you want enough so as to not draw the system and banding north, but also close enough that it has a chance to really pull the moisture back from the coastal. To me this looks like a best case scenario as depicted currently. Unsure if I would be worried about the northern stream vort being less organized, if anything, it has trended stronger and towards less separation over the past 72. 160kt jet core coming through the upstate of sc, likely taking this northern parcel off just south of ilm, very favorable for a heavy axis of precip, likely convective, just to the north.

Here is a crude map i just made..just for WNC its what i know best.. now im sure there will be some snow in the smokies as well but its highly elevation dependent. my amounts may be too high for the northern foothills we shall see..

396218_10151309189890414_517875413_23131725_1331690814_n.jpg

Well i dont know how to make my pic larger sorry guys

Dude, we just need everything to lock down on the latest NAM. Still concerned about the cold air.

TW

The RUC and NAM just did two big shifts. This system is knocking on our door already, and it's hard to believe there's so many swings. The RUC tracks this thing pretty far South.. it's like the South trend won't stop. The Euro tonight will be a great indicator. If the GFS shifts south/colder then we can bet the Euro will do the same.

Hard for these eyes to read your map. Is that 4-8" in the red?

Yes thats 4-8, i think the mtns north of asheville and eastern buncombe is more likely to get more snow this time. The city and southern Buncombe will most likely get less. I would say Asheville has a good shot of 2 inches though if the temps are right. Black mtn should get 3-4.and more above 3000 ft.

Archived