northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying this is actually going to happen but if the 0z NAM is correct, we may have one of heck of a snow along I-40 and north in North Carolina. The timing would indicate that snow could really break out along the escarpment and spread east...this could be a rare occasion where Asheville gets a relative lull but Hickory to GSO to just north of RDU could pile up.

This is an interesting run to say the least...

Good post Dan! Heading up 221 if so tomorrow :)

Not saying this is actually going to happen but if the 0z NAM is correct, we may have one of heck of a snow along I-40 and north in North Carolina. The

timing would indicate that snow could really break out along the escarpment and spread east...this could be a rare occasion where Asheville gets a relative lull but Hickory to GSO to just north of RDU could pile up.

This is an interesting run to say the least...

Posted on Andy Wood's Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/awood11

"The warm ground temperature argument is drastically overplayed during the winter, especially when heavy precipitation and snowfall rates are likely. Heavy and consistent snow rates trump the entire "soil is too warm" argument. I have seen numerous times (in TN, MS, GA and SC) where 50-degree soil temperatures and (60-degree air the day before) was overcome in the first 30 minutes by consistent moderate-heavy snow. The key is a consistent rate of snow. If inconsistent and only moderate snow at times, warm ground temps will overwhelm snow rates. This is an intense, dynamic system capable of manufacture it's own cold air as precipitation rates dictate how much cold is pulled from the upper-levels."

This is exactly why I don't get the low forecast totals when the models show more. The NAM shows 5 to 7 inches for Wake County earlier and the models keep trending for more.

Archived