• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

It's pretty easy. Each line in a group of colors represents and individual ensemble member. Each individual color represents a specific 850 temp. +10, 0, & 10 on the plot Ellinwood posted. The larger the swath of each color represents a larger spread in the individual ensemble solutions. The white lines show the average of all the members.

It's a great tool really. When the members are grouped closely, forecasting can be done with higher confidence and vice versa. The map you're asking about showed a large spread so it's pretty clear that the model is struggling with how to handle the pattern.

Cool, thanks. That is pretty easy. For some reason, I thought it was tracks of lows or something. And that's why I keep any analysis to a BARE minimum in those threads. ;)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty easy. Each line in a group of colors represents and individual ensemble member. Each individual color represents a specific 850 temp. +10, 0, & 10 on the plot Ellinwood posted. The larger the swath of each color represents a larger spread in the individual ensemble solutions. The white lines show the average of all the members.

It's a great tool really. When the members are grouped closely, forecasting can be done with higher confidence and vice versa. The map you're asking about showed a large spread so it's pretty clear that the model is struggling with how to handle the pattern.

Thanks I was wondering as well. What is your take on the possible threat? It seems like there is little room for error for this to be a hit. Also, looking at the confluence it appears it can only come so far west?

Thanks I was wondering as well. What is your take on the possible threat? It seems like there is little room for error for this to be a hit. Also, looking at the confluence it appears it can only come so far west?

I think the bigger issue is whether we get a storm at all. No sense worrying about the track right now.

The room for error kinda starts out in the midwest really. Split flow and stream interaction is precarious for us. It can happen though and I will say this is probably one of the better chances for us but that isn't saying all that much.

We're really going to need some interaction between the 2 streams. If models are still trending toward consensus of a storm on wed-thur then I'll start to get pretty excited.

I fully expect the gfs and euro to show nothing tonight but that doesn't mean the threat is gone. I always loop ncep's 500 vorticity maps for the 0z and 12z runs. Stick this in your faves: http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

I saw it in the SE thread...holy s***

Speaking of the SE folks...they are inspiring. Most optimistic group especially considering the amount of snow they usually get. Most of them haven't seen a flake yet

It will be interesting to see what the MA crew does to MillzPirate after a couple of winters up in DC. He is probably going to turn twisted and bitter :-)

Loved this storm:

And this one too:

We were actually under a WSWatch for one of them. Great times...

The year with the best storm track ever, was also the least snowiest winter ever, amazing. You know forcasters must of been sweating their balls off when models showed 3.0" liquid with marginal temps.

What *is* up with LWX these days? Not just referring to the snow maps-- but why do the zone forecasts keep changing during these mid-shifts?

MDZ009-140300-

MONTGOMERY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAITHERSBURG

630 PM EST MON FEB 13 2012

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH...BECOMING

NORTHEAST AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. CLOUDY WITH A

CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. EAST WINDS AROUND

5 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHEAST IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

40 PERCENT.

MDZ009-141000-

MONTGOMERY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAITHERSBURG

930 PM EST MON FEB 13 2012

.REST OF TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHWEST

WINDS AROUND 5 MPH LATE THIS EVENING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

.TUESDAY...CLOUDY. ISOLATED RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...

THEN SCATTERED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER

40S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

Edited to add: I mean, what new data could have come in between 3 pm and 6:30 pm for them to insert the snow chances overnight, and then kill the chances three hours later?

What *is* up with LWX these days? Not just referring to the snow maps-- but why do the zone forecasts keep changing during these mid-shifts?

Edited to add: I mean, what new data could have come in between 3 pm and 6:30 pm for them to insert the snow chances overnight, and then kill the chances three hours later?

The 18z model runs? My understanding is that these point and click forecasts are direct outputs of model data with little or no human intervention.

The 18z model runs? My understanding is that these point and click forecasts are direct outputs of model data with little or no human intervention.

Neither NAM run had precip in here overnight and the GFS went from a spit of snow on the 12Z to nothing on the 18Z. Somehow, I doubt they're generating point-and-clicks with the RGEM (didn't bother to check any differences)... So, again, something went wonky.

. This is the problem with the MA forum. Too many jackasses.

Yeoman is every troll's mentor. He is basically the grandaddy of exclusive forum trolling. It all starts with him. I tried to be like Yeoman, but then I started making occasional on-topic posts and next thing I knew BAM... I was a normal poster. They guy is dedicated to his craft.

Archived