• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

What would you think for ratios during this? I'm assuming less than the usual 10:1?

I don't have the soundings yet, but if the NAM's profiles were to verify, I'd certainly expect ~10:1. For yesterday and before, I was thinking probably more like ~5-8:1 given the warm boundary layer of 34-36F.

I was very surprised last year during the PSUHoffman Storm when I had over 10" of snow IMBY with 5:1 ratios! I think that's a very anomalous situation, however. Unless more guidance comes in as cold as the NAM, I'd hedge a bit lower than 10:1, maybe 8:1.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao: I never understood how a place 50 miles west of me towards the mountains get's less annual average snowfall than me.

It sucks, but we sit in a fairly substantial valley for this area. It's part of the reason that we get shafted with topographic snowstorms and we have the highest temperatures in the area each summer.

I don't have the soundings yet, but if the NAM's profiles were to verify, I'd certainly expect ~10:1. For yesterday and before, I was thinking probably more like ~5-8:1 given the warm boundary layer of 34-36F.

I was very surprised last year during the PSUHoffman Storm when I had over 10" of snow IMBY with 5:1 ratios! I think that's a very anomalous situation, however. Unless more guidance comes in as cold as the NAM, I'd hedge a bit lower than 10:1, maybe 8:1.

Seems very reasonable. Thanks for the response. I asked mainly because I always assume that the clown maps use the standard 10:1 and therefore, can be slashed a bit in addition to the NAM overdoing precip slash.

Did I see potential for convective snow on that sounding?

A bit...that nearly adiabatic layer around ~750mb. I think it was a little deeper on the 0z or 6z sounding someone had posted earlier in the thread overnight. As some of the other mets have said, there's a good chance someone will luck out and get pasted pretty good for a couple hours with an enhanced band.

anyone hugging the NAM needs to go read some of zwyts posts from today

I don't quite get all the NAM hate. The storm forms in 24-36 hours...that's well inside the NAM's wheelhouse. Gets to us at 48-54...on the edge or a bit outside the wheelhouse. If the NAM is by itself, I'd be pretty cautious and I think everyone wants good model consensus. If you recognize the NAM's known biases...too much precip, too cold sometimes in the BL, I don't see what the beef is.

I don't quite get all the NAM hate. The storm forms in 24-36 hours...that's well inside the NAM's wheelhouse. Gets to us at 48-54...on the edge or a bit outside the wheelhouse. If the NAM is by itself, I'd be pretty cautious and I think everyone wants good model consensus. If you recognize the NAM's known biases...too much precip, too cold sometimes in the BL, I don't see what the beef is.

I think his point is that until the Euro shows something similar, we should take the NAM with a grain of salt. Its known to overdo qpf, especially at this range.

I think his point is that until the Euro shows something similar, we should take the NAM with a grain of salt. Its known to overdo qpf, especially at this range.

9 times out of 10 I would agree with this but the euro misses sometimes and I think this is one of those few times. Euro has the same track and strength of the 850 as the nam and gfs but it develops the nrn edge differently. If we were dealing with track differences I would be waiting for the euro but that's not really the case this time. Of course if I'm wrong I will NEVER EVER doubt the euro again.

No doubt. If the Euro is the only model not showing something that 5 other models agree on, that definitely raises eyebrows. But given the fact that HPC posted legit reasons to de-emphasize the 0z Euro solution and the NAM is more in line with the last couple GFS runs, it shouldn't be tossed wholesale. Of course it could be overdoing QPF...it often does. If GFS has the exact same solution but spits out 25% less precip than the NAM, I'd go with the GFS precip totals for now.

9 times out of 10 I would agree with this but the euro misses sometimes and I think this is one of those few times. Euro has the same track and strength of the 850 as the nam and gfs but it develops the nrn edge differently. If we were dealing with track differences I would be waiting for the euro but that's not really the case this time. Of course if I'm wrong I will NEVER EVER doubt the euro again.

No doubt. If the Euro is the only model not showing something that 5 other models agree on, that definitely raises eyebrows. But given the fact that HPC posted legit reasons to de-emphasize the 0z Euro solution and the NAM is more in line with the last couple GFS runs, it shouldn't be tossed wholesale. Of course it could be overdoing QPF...it often does. If GFS has the exact same solution but spits out 25% less precip than the NAM, I'd go with the GFS precip totals for now.

ok.

GFS out to 30 and I can't find a single thing different than 6z. Doesn't mean much though. weenie thought "looks like we're still in the strike zone".

Well, low is a bit weaker and precip further S at 42. Not really a fan of that but who knows.

Yeah, not as good by 66. Scooting east with not too much qpf on that run at first glance.

Yeah, not as good by 66. Scooting east with not too much qpf on that run at first glance.

yep- the nam giveth and the gfs taketh.

Could be trouble could be wrong. Who knows? Can't freak out at this point. Miller A's are fun and the finer details aren't nailed down until we're inside of 24 hrs. We're still clearly in the game.

Archived