• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

Yeah, him and Sam...best of luck looking for Spring in NNE on Feb 8th. Gonna have to play hacky sack indoors for another 2.5 months.

As I said earlier, I am in FL 2/17-2/27 for break, and once i am back up here its 3/2. So really theres nothing fun going on before I leave on 2/17 and 3/2 is getting toward the end of everything. And, there's hardly a snowpack up here so really things aren't like a normal end of winter situation. We average 17" on the ground at 800ft here in late Feb. We have 4" here at 1100ft and only 2" at 800ft and currently melting due to the sun even with temps near 20F.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost time to write off Saturday also.... I'm thinking the best shot of snow will be if the southern stream energy can hold together enough next week to attack the retreating cold air around Tuesday-Thursday of next week. If that holds off too long we may get to have just a rainy cutter at the end of next week. But anyway .... as usual we pick up our broken hopes and try again next week.

So close, yet so far on the Euro...I think a 1-2" general snow is probably the most likely outcome.

Let me set the record straight... I'm not complaining and don't think I've really complained yet this season. And for CTNor, we do not have it as bad as SNE. We are below average but only by like 25% right now thanks to meso-scale processes. We were bound to have a below normal winter but it hasn't been like its been down south, even if we do average more snowfall.

BTV is certainly hurting. Anywhere outside of the northern Greens where we have the insurance of mountain effects providing snowfall.

Check BTV's stats... snow to date is 26.2" and average is 49" right now. So they are at 50% of normal. Last year at this date they had 80.4"! I'm less than 20 miles as the crow flies from the BTV airfield and have had almost 40" more than them this winter (62-63"). J.Spin is even closer and has had even more snowfall. That's how localized this has been.

I'd assume its the same for CTNoreaster, but I grew up in the Hudson Valley just south of Albany. That's a snow hole. I've never complained about a winter since moving up here because for 18 years I suffered through watching everyone east/west/north get more snow (like living in the CT River Valley). Its all relative and this has been a below normal winter so far, but we could easily catch up to normal with a couple well timed storms.

Yeah we have 50" as of now, and this time last year had 105". Last year was a hell of a March and we managed 55" from now til the end of the year. That wont happen in this years pattern. Outside the mountain summits/ridges/upslope zones, this year has been bad for our standards. Not 'complaining worthy' of course but still awful. A nice 1-3" is nice every week, but for VT its been bad. So, just take it with a grain of salt that everyone is hurting compared to normal. And in the current pattern, it doesn't look too optimistic for s ton of snow in March, but you never know. I love a great snowstorm, but with the way the snow has been accumulating, it doesn't seem like winter in VT with 2-4" OTG because of melting/rain. Thats just not VT.

As I said earlier, I am in FL 2/17-2/27 for break, and once i am back up here its 3/2. So really theres nothing fun going on before I leave on 2/17 and 3/2 is getting toward the end of everything. And, there's hardly a snowpack up here so really things aren't like a normal end of winter situation. We average 17" on the ground at 800ft here in late Feb. We have 4" here at 1100ft and only 2" at 800ft and currently melting due to the sun even with temps near 20F.

Im in Myrtle beach for a week starting March 1st and in Wisconsin for a week leaving March 11.. quite frankly I only have 3 weeks of winter left.. so it's pretty much done for me

It was literally a year without winter for me.. my biggest storm was 4" and I think total after Oct.30 I had 10 inches! Hahahaha

It's almost time to write off Saturday also.... I'm thinking the best shot of snow will be if the southern stream energy can hold together enough next week to attack the retreating cold air around Tuesday-Thursday of next week. If that holds off too long we may get to have just a rainy cutter at the end of next week. But anyway .... as usual we pick up our broken hopes and try again next week.

We aren't getting a big snow on Saturday...its pretty much been a 1-3" type snowfall for the past couple days on guidance...there is always hope we pop a coastal south of LI, but its probably just not going to quite be enough to do that.

Still, in my book, 1-3" of snow is better than no snow at all...especially with that cold shot behind it.

Im in Myrtle beach for a week starting March 1st and in Wisconsin for a week leaving March 11.. quite frankly I only have 3 weeks of winter left.. so it's pretty much done for me

It sucks when we get to the point of thinking like this, where we are counting down winter due to circumstances. Maybe we can squeak in a March storm, but the rest of Feb looks iffy from now til I leave 2/17. So anything after that til 3/2 is meaningless too me.

Yeah I agree... I just meant in terms of it being more significant.

We aren't getting a big snow on Saturday...its pretty much been a 1-3" type snowfall for the past couple days on guidance...there is always hope we pop a coastal south of LI, but its probably just not going to quite be enough to do that.

Still, in my book, 1-3" of snow is better than no snow at all...especially with that cold shot behind it.

Welcome to some winters in the 80's and early 90's. I remember sitting there as a teenager in mid March with all hope ebbing away for just one decent snowfall over 6 inches... Mercifully probably didn't know enough to waste time looking at endless model runs back then.

It sucks when we get to the point of thinking like this, where we are counting down winter due to circumstances. Maybe we can squeak in a March storm, but the rest of Feb looks iffy from now til I leave 2/17. So anything after that til 3/2 is meaningless too me.

Or sublimation, but either way. I had a couple of rough winters in the 80's up there but I got to experience Dec '89 and see snow still on the ground in May which made up for them so hang in there.

Or sublimation, but either way. I had a couple of rough winters in the 80's up there but I got to experience Dec '89 and see snow still on the ground in May which made up for them so hang in there.

Haha, yeah last year was epic up here. 160" with snow depth until late April. In early May, it was 80F at LSC and no snow, and there was still snow on the ground in Newark VT with thick fog and 55F lol That deff makes up for last year lol

The quality of posts the last 4 days in here overall has been worse than we've ever seen it'd going to snow this weekend. Fing enjoy it

The quality of posts are bad cause everyone's not calling for the "most wintry weekend" of the year. I don't want 1-3". I'd rather it not snow to tell you the truth. 1-3 is not worth it, especially when its trending towards 0-1.

A 1-3 inch snowfall just means your car will get dirty from the wasted salt on the road. A 1-3 inch snowfall is like getting to first base with mother nature.. just lets you down an keeps you wanting more..

Archived