• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know don't know why you're going after me. The phrase winters seem to have a theme, is partly true for underlying reasons like teleconnections etc. I did mention that. All I mean, is that if all guidance looks pretty interesting 3-4 days out, I would not throw that term around and say "no way this will work out". If that was the case, then people were dead wrong about Joe and Phil when they got 10-12" two weeks ago.

Mesoscale, fluke-weenie bands are one thing....the large scale system blew.

This will be a good test for those 850-500 fields. Both have almost a comma head look to them across southern areas, but totally weaken the lift. We'll see.

I think the problem is you have the primary low diving out of the midwest transferring it's energy to a developing coastal. Classic screw zone.

It certainly seems like some winters have their own "agenda" or follow a similar rule of thumb... isn't that where the phrase, "It snows where it wants to snow" came from? Some winters, every little storm is an over-performer and you get buried, other winters, none of them work out. It often gets the point where regardless of what the models say, you almost already know the outcome. I completely agree with what you're saying. There's no way you can just objectively look at each threat (if you can call them that) without drawing on past events over the last 3 months.

Right, there is a balance...admittedly I, along with a bunch of others, overdo the pessimism....part of it is venting frustration and trying to derive humor from despair.

That comment from HM just kind of irked me...I was going to let it go, but this morning's discussion served as the impetus for me to get that off my chest.

I my launch a weenie or 10, but I never refer to those in the optimistic camp as "unintelligent posters".

Awful post from a great met and poster.

Euro will cave today. No snow for you. Sorry. Euro was subtly moving in the GFS direction. Not doing to work out snow wise I suspect. What can you do....

that doesn't make a whole lot of sense jerry...the euro came in more amped up last night and close to something significant. In general, I agree, I suppose. It's more likely that it endes up a day late and a dollar short than it gets better from here. We are running out of time on this one.

Sort of intrigued for south cstl areas tonight in a way.

yeah the RH fields look good. the lift seems absent though...all concentrated s of the islands with almost a convective bomb look to it. there is some weak omega over the extreme s coast and the cape. i think it's going to snow out here, just not sure that the good stuff makes it N of ACK.

Euro will cave today. No snow for you. Sorry. Euro was subtly moving in the GFS direction. Not doing to work out snow wise I suspect. What can you do....

Seems like the GFS is caving to the EURO with the handling and location of the PV, therefore sharpening the trough allowing more energy to scoot around the base of it and not so far OTS. Seems like the opposite IMO.

yeah the RH fields look good. the lift seems absent though...all concentrated s of the islands with almost a convective bomb look to it. there is some weak omega over the extreme s coast and the cape. i think it's going to snow out here, just not sure that the good stuff makes it N of ACK.

That's my concern, the lift sucks...but I guess to me...I'm interested to see if models are too weak with the lift on the nrn part. I have nothing invested in it, other than to see how it works out. I think they may weaken it too much, but it's not like I would expect 2-4"..lol.

Seems like the GFS is caving to the EURO with the handling and location of the PV, therefore sharpening the trough allowing more energy to scoot around the base of it and not so far OTS. Seems like the opposite IMO.

i don't always like the idea of "model compromise" but we might be seeing that. if the euro doesn't back away at 12z today then i'd guess i'd expect it's got a hold of the features. but that said, the GFS seems like it was a bit too progressive and perhaps the euro is showing its 2011/12 winter colors of being a bit too amped.

Archived