• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott, we have had many many many days in the 50s, and a few in the 60s this winter on the cp, whatever man. Snow is my love, but if its not going to snow be warm, days like today are USELESS, in my opinion, nothing to do with the "cold"

We obviously enjoy different things and thats ok, if its not going to snow or have snow on the ground I would prefer it to be warm, you would prefer it cold even if there is no snow falling or on the ground, and thats fine.

Yes you're right, we've had days in the 50s, but again it's not going to be April like..that's all I'm saying. Maybe later next week and again at the end of the month, you get your taste of it. It's one thing to have a few days of April like wx.

:lol:

are you originally from the northeast?

Grew up in Central PA. Hated shoveling when I was a teenager, hated walking to class in it at Penn State, hate driving around in it now. 50-70 degrees is ideal for me with warm winters and cool summers, but I'd prefer to live in Miami's climate vs. Boston's if I have to pick.

Looks like the12z NAM develops a SLP along the front and cuts it across NY and alont the MA/VT/NH border. Looks primarily northern stream driven. Not too bad for the NAM in all honesty. :yikes:

More of a clipper type outcome, That would be a great up here but not down your way, Just goes to show how bad the models are struggling with this pattern, Different scenarios each run, Going to have to shake out here at some point

I love seeing people getting defensive about snow, its hysterical. This winter has really sucked, LOL.

Who said it didn't suck. But you exaggerate every other aspect. When it's cloudy and drizzling in May, you'll comment about a bright spot in the overcast and say how the sun feels good, despite it being 50 with sheet drizzle.

Lol, whatever man, its just reverse negativity, you find my love for warmth if its not going to snow disgusting, and I find some peoples negativity towards spring disgusting, no win situation..........now for some fun filled facts.

SInce Dec 1st in Boston.

Number of days 50 or greater 20 (3 days in the 60s)

Number of days highs stayed in the 20s 3

Lol, whatever man, its just reverse negativity, you find my love for warmth if its not going to snow disgusting, and I find some peoples negativity towards spring disgusting, no win situation..........now for some fun filled facts.

SInce Dec 1st in Boston.

Looks like solid April wx since December 1. Heading to Home Depot now to get my garden after those facts. Can veggies take temps in the single digits?

the euro has a phantom vort (or everything else is missing it) moving across the southern tier that seems to help with cyclogenesis off the SE US - not directly responsible for the LP that passes east of us but seems to provide an early assist.

it also really digs so much deeper over the east with the energy coming down through the canadian prairies and into the US. it's really night and day compared to some of the products which have a much more strung out lobe of energy.

the euro has a phantom vort (or everything else is missing it) moving across the southern tier that seems to help with cyclogenesis off the SE US - not directly responsible for the LP that passes east of us but seems to provide an early assist.

it also really digs so much deeper over the east with the energy coming down through the canadian prairies and into the US. it's really night and day compared to some of the products which have a much more strung out lobe of energy.

I think the GFS has it, it just gets crushed/sheared out byt the PV.

SInce Dec 1st in Boston.

If you love weather I don't understand how people can complain about this winter. I'm speaking in general not to you directly. All weather is interesting to me, Winter and Spring seasons are my favorite, don't like fall much, but it's still interesting to see what nature brings.

This is as unique as the wall to wall snow winters. Although not likely, we aren't going to be far off from having a full month of days of met winter at 50/around 50 or above...that's incredible...once in a lifetime I'd think.

We keep hearing that the cold is coming and maybe it is - it's cold today for sure.... but even i was shocked by how dramatic the departures have been again this month. Don S for the win for sure so far. The P&C shows a return to nearer normal, average today, torch two days, below two days, average by Monday.

Anyway, all we can hope for is the Euro is onto something and this weekend pans out. If we get a 1-3 or 3-6 enjoy it.

If you love weather I don't understand how people can complain about this winter. I'm speaking in general not to you directly. All weather is interesting to me, Winter and Spring seasons are my favorite, don't like fall much, but it's still interesting to see what nature brings.

This is as unique as the wall to wall snow winters. Although not likely, we aren't going to be far off from having a full month of days of met winter at 50/around 50 or above...that's incredible...once in a lifetime I'd think.

We keep hearing that the cold is coming and maybe it is - it's cold today for sure.... but even i was shocked by how dramatic the departures have been again this month. Don S for the win for sure so far. The P&C shows a return to nearer normal, average today, torch two days, below two days, average by Monday.

Anyway, all we can hope for is the Euro is onto something and this weekend pans out. If we get a 1-3 or 3-6 enjoy it.

i hear what you are saying - but to me, personally, that's like an oxymoron. LOL.

Sunday River....or any ski resort for the most part are offering great deals. If you need winter to clear your head go spend $80 or $90 a night and hang around at a resort. Like MRG says, winter can be found if you really want it even if it's not snowing in our backyars. There's nothing else we can do, it's 2/8 and we still have nothing solid to track. Go high or go home.

NWRYS_s.jpg

i hear what you are saying - but to me, personally, that's like an oxymoron. LOL.

Oh I know, but after a month or two we had to come to realize this was one big battle this year. We take what we get and hope for the best. Long term changes to cold and snow have been predicted a bunch of times and aren't happening, just the way it is this winter. It's not anybody's fault, nobodys wrong, etc etc.

I'm with Ray on this one, if I have the choice between 30 and no snow, I'd rather have it be 45-50. I'd love to see a few more good snow events this year, I don't care if it's OES, squalls, real storm, overrunning whatever.

We'll have some flakes flying here Thursday nightish...if I see a few snowshowers that's a blizzard this winter and I'll enjoy it. The weekend deal I hope the Euro is right, after that...ugh.

At least the NAM has something... think that boundary could slide further south in subsquent runs and end up more SNE/CNE. That would be best case scenario for all involved. The ME crowd gets a nice boost from the NAM. I'm honestly starting to think someone at NCEP is playing with the SNE snow lovers. "Well lets make the GFS miss completely... we'll throw them a bone with the NAM being close, but lets draw any meaningful precipitation right around the borders of SNE.."

nam_namer_084_precip_p24.gif

Dismissing threats because of the winter pattern is wrong imo, but there is also science as to why people feel that way. You either have no blocking and/or progressive flow so that s/w's may have a problem amplifying. And if they do, there's a risk of cutting west. That's a horribly abbreviated reason, but you get my point. However, if something legit shows up inside of 4 days...I don't think you should apply the notion of it not happening because of the winter pattern. In this case, if it doesn't happen..it's not because it's the winter of '11/'12, it's because models were in disagreement to begin with.

Right....in winter like this, don't be optimistic until everything is in agreement @ hour 6.

I have heard you and others say "some winters everything seems to work out"....gee, what arre you implying.

I think there is some underlying dynamic at play with regard to the atmosphere and you, I nor anyone else understands it.

Just like 20 years ago you would have been scolded for brining the sun up.

Don't proceed to tell me with any degree of certitude what not to believe regarding a science which we know so little about....HM calling folks "unintelligent" was a pompous, azz of a thing to say.

Right....in winter like this, don't be optimistic until everything is in agreement @ hour 6.

I have heard you and others say "some winters everything seems to work out"....gee, what arre you implying.

I think there is some underlying dynamic at play with regard to the atmosphere and you, I nor anyone else understands it.

Don't proceed to tell me with any degree of certitude what not to believe regarding a science which we know so little about....HM calling folks "unintelligent" was a pompous, azz of a thing to say.

It certainly seems like some winters have their own "agenda" or follow a similar rule of thumb... isn't that where the phrase, "It snows where it wants to snow" came from? Some winters, every little storm is an over-performer and you get buried, other winters, none of them work out. It often gets the point where regardless of what the models say, you almost already know the outcome. I completely agree with what you're saying. There's no way you can just objectively look at each threat (if you can call them that) without drawing on past events over the last 3 months.

I know don't know why you're going after me. The phrase winters seem to have a theme, is partly true for underlying reasons like teleconnections etc. I did mention that. All I mean, is that if all guidance looks pretty interesting 3-4 days out, I would not throw that term around and say "no way this will work out". If that was the case, then people were dead wrong about Joe and Phil when they got 10-12" two weeks ago.

Archived