• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if you're at 50" now...then your pace isn't going to fall too far from that 94" normal. After all plenty of snow falls from Feb. 15th to April 30th in northeast VT.

IMO even here in vt I'm ready for a big azz blizzard or gtfo with this 4" otg crap. It's miserable. After this season of only 50" nickel and dime crap here where we avg 94", give me big snow or give me summer.

But if you're at 50" now...then your pace isn't going to fall too far from that 94" normal. After all plenty of snow falls from Feb. 15th to April 30th in northeast Vt

Honestly, the nickel and dime we get and the increased sun angle kills up here by early march. Unless we see a big synoptic event like last march, I doubt we see 75". Makes up for the killer yr we had last year with 160"

This weekend's "storm" is not going to happen. Leave it be.

AFTER that storm, and AFTER the cold shot, things get interesting. A lot of energy is going to be moving into North America by next week, driven significantly by the MJO wave I'm guessing. The pattern over eastern North America and the Atlantic is clearly unstable at that time. Not really sure which way it's going, but it means that the long wave pattern breaks down, and the flow across the continent weakens, perturbing more readily. Snow or no snow, we're heading into a stormier period.

Well they got less than you anyway that winter...they got boned in the Dec 21 event I think on the wrong side of the CF...but they def didn't get 62.2"..probably closer to 73" or so.

Agreed.

I remember that poster "Budman" from Reading going nuts cause I was like 26, while he was 33, just a hair s of 128.

Agreed.

I remember that poster "Budman" from Reading going nuts cause I was like 26, while he was 33, just a hair s of 128.

Probably your best event on this board...obviously Jan 12 last year was more prolific, but that Dec 21, 2008 event was a really localized band of 12" that smoked your area up into Essex county and Rockingham county NH. In terms of a jackpot storm that dropped a foot or more, def the best event there.

Probably your best event on this board...obviously Jan 12 last year was more prolific, but that Dec 21, 2008 event was a really localized band of 12" that smoked your area up into Essex county and Rockingham county NH. In terms of a jackpot storm that dropped a foot or more, def the best event there.

I'll be honest with you, that event and Dec 16, 2007 are my favorite events on this board.

My first year on the boards (ne.weather) was 1994-95 ....incidentally a very poor winter ...except one snowstorm in the interior in Feb.

It was my 2nd month on the boards....I didn't even know what ENSO stood for yet.

Obviously it's a poor bet to make....I'm not stupid, but if any year could do it, this is it.

I'll bet you a beer.

I'll be honest with you, that event and Dec 16, 2007 are my favorite events on this board.

I really liked 12/16/07...def my top 3 events on this board...the other two are 12/9/05 and 12/12/08 ice storm. 1/12/11, 10/29/11, and 1/27/11 are up there but i don't think they make the top 3 for me in terms of excitement...the October storm should, but for some reason being up for the 12/16/07 bust as it was happening was more fun for me.

As a side note, when I pulled up Reading coop data just now...they got absolutely smoked in the Dec 2003 storm. You really got a screw job in that one when Reading just to your ESE got destroyed.

We need another wet, heavy, sloppy event like Dec 1992, March 2001 or April 1997....I'd go nuts.

March '01 was pretty much powder in the interior, but I know in your area it was more of a paste job. There was actually a good CF at about 900mb in that event, not so much at the sfc...kind of weird.

I really liked 12/16/07...def my top 3 events on this board...the other two are 12/9/05 and 12/12/08 ice storm. 1/12/11, 10/29/11, and 1/27/11 are up there but i don't think they make the top 3 for me in terms of excitement...the October storm should, but for some reason being up for the 12/16/07 bust as it was happening was more fun for me.

As a side note, when I pulled up Reading coop data just now...they got absolutely smoked in the Dec 2003 storm. You really got a screw job in that one when Reading just to your ESE got destroyed.

Yea, I know, chief....thmx.

I had 12".....my dad, 8 miles away in Woburn center, had about 26"....Peabody, 10 mi to my ese, had 3'.

:axe:

Who knows if it will happen this winter...but at some point, climo is going to pay us back big time in the month of March after our recent string of terrible Marches. We finally got paid back in the negative direction this year for our obscene string of prolific Decembers recently....March will be coming at some point.

I do miss some of those monster big March bombs we saw in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Who knows if it will happen this winter...but at some point, climo is going to pay us back big time in the month of March after our recent string of terrible Marches. We finally got paid back in the negative direction this year for our obscene string of prolific Decembers recently....March will be coming at some point.

I do miss some of those monster big March bombs we saw in the 1990s and early 2000s.

I see a big March coming for the midwest/lakes/northeast. No, its not the same as a big January being locked in with cold/snowcover, but Im sure for many it will be the best time of this winter season. During an outstanding run of winters in recent years, we have had (outside of 2008) uneventful Marches. I just said yesterday in one of our threads, if there are two things that climo karma dictates that Detroit is due for, its a low-snowfall DJF and a snowy March. And the same could be applied to NE. While not as below normal as some, we are certainly seeing a crappy DJF so far..lets see if Mar follows suit. Plus short-term memory is applied to many snowlovers, those who dont look at decades of climate data may not realize just how wintry March can be in the north. Im not sure about ORH, but I can tell you that chances of a snowy March or big March snowstorm skyrocket at DTW after a very mild winter.

No question it's been awhile since we had a big March region-wide in the Northeast.

Last year we did get a foot of snow in early March here in Upstate NY, but SNE got mostly rain I think.

I see a big March coming for the midwest/lakes/northeast. No, its not the same as a big January being locked in with cold/snowcover, but Im sure for many it will be the best time of this winter season. During an outstanding run of winters in recent years, we have had (outside of 2008) uneventful Marches. I just said yesterday in one of our threads, if there are two things that climo karma dictates that Detroit is due for, its a low-snowfall DJF and a snowy March. And the same could be applied to NE. While not as below normal as some, we are certainly seeing a crappy DJF so far..lets see if Mar follows suit. Plus short-term memory is applied to many snowlovers, those who dont look at decades of climate data may not realize just how wintry March can be in the north. Im not sure about ORH, but I can tell you that chances of a snowy March or big March snowstorm skyrocket at DTW after a very mild winter.

Archived