• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Feb 10-12 storm threat, real or imagined?

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you stare in the face of what may be your best upslope event of the year, no sympathy here bro, enjoy.

Let me set the record straight... I'm not complaining and don't think I've really complained yet this season. And for CTNor, we do not have it as bad as SNE. We are below average but only by like 25% right now thanks to meso-scale processes. We were bound to have a below normal winter but it hasn't been like its been down south, even if we do average more snowfall.

BTV is certainly hurting. Anywhere outside of the northern Greens where we have the insurance of mountain effects providing snowfall.

Check BTV's stats... snow to date is 26.2" and average is 49" right now. So they are at 50% of normal. Last year at this date they had 80.4"! I'm less than 20 miles as the crow flies from the BTV airfield and have had almost 40" more than them this winter (62-63"). J.Spin is even closer and has had even more snowfall. That's how localized this has been.

I'd assume its the same for CTNoreaster, but I grew up in the Hudson Valley just south of Albany. That's a snow hole. I've never complained about a winter since moving up here because for 18 years I suffered through watching everyone east/west/north get more snow (like living in the CT River Valley). Its all relative and this has been a below normal winter so far, but we could easily catch up to normal with a couple well timed storms.

Nice, wwa up for philly, congrats! HRRR does not look half bad for the south coast.

With that radar and the visibility reductions taking place now in PA from the snow... I don't see how you don't get out of this with at least a few hours of weenie snows. I know its forecast to weaken but that northern edge is pretty robust right now all things considered. Some areas are going from 10 mile vis down to 1/2 mile between observation times so it must be coming in like a wall in PA.

Let me set the record straight... I'm not complaining and don't think I've really complained yet this season. And for CTNor, we do not have it as bad as SNE. We are below average but only by like 25% right now thanks to meso-scale processes. We were bound to have a below normal winter but it hasn't been like its been down south, even if we do average more snowfall.

BTV is certainly hurting. Anywhere outside of the northern Greens where we have the insurance of mountain effects providing snowfall.

Check BTV's stats... snow to date is 26.2" and average is 49" right now. So they are at 50% of normal. Last year at this date they had 80.4"! I'm less than 20 miles as the crow flies from the BTV airfield and have had almost 40" more than them this winter (62-63"). J.Spin is even closer and has had even more snowfall. That's how localized this has been.

I'd assume its the same for CTNoreaster, but I grew up in the Hudson Valley just south of Albany. That's a snow hole. I've never complained about a winter since moving up here because for 18 years I suffered through watching everyone east/west/north get more snow (like living in the CT River Valley). Its all relative and this has been a below normal winter so far, but we could easily catch up to normal with a couple well timed storms.

and its even worse on the west side of the lake, even usually snowy places like Indian Lake and Speculator. LES has also been awful this year.

With that radar and the visibility reductions taking place now in PA from the snow... I don't see how you don't get out of this with at least a few hours of weenie snows. I know its forecast to weaken but that northern edge is pretty robust right now all things considered. Some areas are going from 10 mile vis down to 1/2 mile between observation times so it must be coming in like a wall in PA.

Yes, that was well modeled out there, the issue is transfer of energy off the coast too far south and east, it will be interesting to watch this play out, just starting to cloud up down here.

Well, glad you had a safe trip and arrived home in one piece. How much snow do you have up there? Net gain or loss during you're trip?

Lost some snow. Only 3 inches fell here while I was away. My trails are all firm but skiable. I've gotten used to seeing 3" fall every few hours.lol

WB Pete. :) Hope you brought the good karma south.

Yeah I see on sat. pics that your area of GC is the one oasis of snow cover surrounded by 100+ miles of brown in all directions. LOL

Lost some snow. Only 3 inches fell here while I was away. My trails are all firm but skiable. I've gotten used to seeing 3" fall every few hours.lol

Archived