• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

I have the maps its rain from start to finish.....Idc if it's south and colder then gfs or ggem.....a few need to understand this has no potential and read Isotherms thread about the pattern.....metfan u will not see flake in ur backyard until next winter

I would change it to "metfan u will not see accumulating snow until next winter".

I wouldnt be surprised at all if NYC and north sees non-accumulating weenie flakes, mixing in with the rain, in the very early morning hours until 7am tomorrow.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would change it to "metfan u will not see accumulating snow until next winter".

I wouldnt be surprised at all if NYC and north sees non-accumulating weenie flakes, mixing in with the rain, in the very early morning hours until 7am tomorrow.

I would be shock bud...but I guess it could happen.....pretty warm today....and it's not like we have cold artic air funneling down

Its already snowing there is a dusting on everything and there is no mixing, it is very peaceful right now :) 33.7/23 snywx we may match what your supposed to get, and btw i may be in the poconos but i live in staten island that is why i am posting in this region.

I'll go out and take a video right now.

Nice.. What town/elevation are you located?

A little off-topic but maybe not. Does anyone else here remember the amazing weather events of March 1972? Warm fronts trying to back up into NYC with waves of low pressure forming on them and moving OTS. In any event, the result was heavy sleet accompanied by deafening thunder, vivid cloud to ground lightning strikes, and big huge wet snow flakes. We had events of this nature here about 2 or 3 weeks in a row. On at least one of the occasions, the NWS issued what back then was a "HEAVY SNOW WARNING" for the region thinking the weak LPs that formed on the warm fronts would move up the coast and bring heavy snow. But each time, the LPs moved OTS actually shutting down the heavy precip altogether with the precipitation tapering into a lighter rain then drizzle. Much of the area ended up with an accumulation of ice and slush with locally up to 2-3" of very wet snow in spots. Could we seeing something like that this Februrary & March? These years to analog rather well it seems to me except that there is far less cold air around this year than there was then, but pattern-wise, it's not that different.

WX/PT

Lake Naomi, Near mount pocono, around 1800 ft, Noaa has us at 1797, and sorry for not replying i had to do the dishes.

Oh and btw it is mixing with sleet, it is about 60, 40 snow, sleet.

I'm heading out that way tomorrow morning, going to wilkes-barre. Should be an interesting ride. :axe:

HM

I agree to go a bit slower with the MJO than Roundy here. What becomes interesting is then there would be a phase 4-6 potential during mid-March. This isn't quite the blowtorch signal as it is in January, esp. if you can continue to press the forcing eastward and allow the GWO to orbit from 3-4 to 5-6. This would shorten the waves and allow for a cyclone to break along the East Coast. The more time the MJO delays its arrival to these phases, the better potential for this and possibly a late-season wet snowstorm for the Northeast.

Archived