e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light snow just started here...34F...prob won't stick to anything since it won't come down long enough.

Its amazing how your usually the same temp as me or colder even though your what 75 miles south or so? I remember another time this year you were getting fzra for an hour or two after I had gone above freezing. Actually snowing pretty decently out looking at the flood lights. Probably .5-.75 inch an hour bursts in between light intervals of just a few flakes falling. Kind of strange.

As a radar guy I find this stuff interesting... at least this year anyway. You make of it what you can.

Velocity spectral width looking straight up a few minutes ago:

The first image is when the heavier band was overhead. You see the precip up to 6000 m, wind and weak updrafts contributing to fall-speed differences especially from 3000-4000 m, and then consistently falling snowflakes and less wind in the lowest 2km.

The second image the snow had mostly moved through but we have lingering light precip showing initial signs of melting below 1100m. The mix of parachutes and splatty drops with their different fall speeds is on display in the spectral width. This sort of analysis is especially useful to identify sneaky warm layers in big storms, but I've seen some big differences in pure snow too. Best one ever was last Jan. of course.

Congrats, your biggest snow of the month so far.

Unreal how bad it's been in the Monadnocks but love to see things white again. We've got a nice coating on the campus of Hampshire Country School right now. This may be my only winter here if I spring for a public school job so I'm hoping we see at least front-end snows this Friday and then something out of the March 1st threat before the pattern turns horrible again with the PV retreating towards Greenland and the sun angle becoming an issue.

AFN/Jaffrey has gone up a degree though in the 9:52 update, now at 34F...

So thats supposed to be the theme for tonight right? Rising temps and torch tomorrow? NWS zone for my county says 47 and I'm pretty much as far south as you can get in Merrimack county so I'd add a degree or two to that. Maybe hit 50 for the 3rd time this month. >10% of the days above 50 in Feb....awesome

So thats supposed to be the theme for tonight right? Rising temps and torch tomorrow? NWS zone for my county says 47 and I'm pretty much as far south as you can get in Merrimack county so I'd add a degree or two to that. Maybe hit 50 for the 3rd time this month. >10% of the days above 50 in Feb....awesome

Southerly flow should push temperatures higher through the night and into tomorrow. NWS also has 47F for Rindge for tomorrow so I expect rain to begin mixing in pretty quickly if precipitation continues. Radar shows a batch near Lake Erie that will probably come through here at some point, but we may have warmed too much after this initial burst. Snow cover should be erased tomorrow as has been the tendency this season: snow doesn't last long even at 1200' in the Monadnocks.

Southerly flow should push temperatures higher through the night and into tomorrow. NWS also has 47F for Rindge for tomorrow so I expect rain to begin mixing in pretty quickly if precipitation continues. Radar shows a batch near Lake Erie that will probably come through here at some point, but we may have warmed too much after this initial burst. Snow cover should be erased tomorrow as has been the tendency this season: snow doesn't last long even at 1200' in the Monadnocks.

The streghthening sun is more and more noticable with each passing day too, it's really starting to warm the inside of the car and your skin when your facing it. But that doesn't mean our chances of more snow this year are nil. Look at today/tonight, I reached 44 or 45 today and 4 hours later with temps above freezing still managed to have snow accumulate on pavement. Obviously I will be surprised to see any white when I wake up in the morning besides the one pile I have remaining from shoveling previous snowfalls.

Didn't even use the snowblower once this year, October KU was light enough that I decided to enjoy it and shovel. Glad I did because that was the only memorable storm this year so it was nice to savor it and shovel.

Archived