amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, Greenfield is the floor of the pioneer valley. I'll try to get a pic after I read to my daughter. Greenfield.lol

To be honest, I drive home on I-91 all the time and there's no way you can compare the Pioneer Valley/CT River Valley to the Berkshires or Monadnocks. What's on the ground in Greenfield is not going to be at all representative of Pete's house. I notice a rapid decline in snow when I get on Route 10 to head towards I-91 as it descends into Mass.

The 18 NAM is a nice wet snow bomb here... Never even gets over 0C at 850. Really reminding me of that January event where I overachieved with 5.5" and the changeover never came. Not saying it is that extreme, but general similarity.

Now can we get poor Ray a few inches of slop early in the day on Friday or are low level temps just too mild? Need to get 5" by midnight next Wednesday night there and the hail mary pass is the Euro storm next week.

We got wedged on Jan 12th...that's really the only SWFE we've had all winter.

I believe that the el. of downtown is 270' so your definition of a valley floor is as slanted as your measuring stick...

That's the valley floor around here...my house right near NYC is at 350' and most of the Berks/Monadnocks is 1000'+. I think Pete is making a valid point. There's a huge drop into Greenfield off either the East Slope or the Monadnocks.

LOL, Greenfield is the floor of the pioneer valley. I'll try to get a pic after I read to my daughter. Greenfield.lol

To be honest, I drive home on I-91 all the time and there's no way you can compare the Pioneer Valley/CT River Valley to the Berkshires or Monadnocks. What's on the ground in Greenfield is not going to be at all representative of Pete's house. I notice a rapid decline in snow when I get on Route 10 to head towards I-91 as it descends into Mass.

Lol, gotcha both. I know that. That being said, there was nothing to speak of from Wrentham to Greenfield.

I have not even been doing dailies, its been a plus ten fiesta, day after day after day after day.

Today was special......................

bos+14

bdl+17

pvd+13

orh+16

The unforgettable fire rages on...............

Jaffrey (KAFN) hit 52F today at 1040' elevation in SW NH, unreal. It's just been an unmitigated torch. BDL got to 57F, unreal for late February. It seems the warmth has been overperforming even with 850s that don't suggest a total torch.

Charlemont was pretty barren last week. Of course that was by the river and at BEast. In the woods and nooks there is probably some

The little nooks and glens can keep the snow when a lot of surrounding areas are bare. You often see it up on weenie ridge in those areas shadowed by the mountain. I can be totally bare everywhere around and then one street will have like a 4-6" rotting snow pack, lol. Always strange to see the melting patterns.

That was a great pic, MRG

Can you still do xc on it?

Yeah, it's bulletproof right now though. Crusty hardpack but on these warmer days I can get a tour in after work just as the snowpack starts to set up. I haven't been skiing the trails at night because they are so firm it'll rattle the teeth out of your head. The little refreshers we have benn getting recently help even if it's just a .5-1". Here's the main artery of the trail network I maintain a few days ago after a 1" dusting. It's not even close to normal but it beats bare ground. Really hoping for a good dose soon. We'll see.

Jaffrey (KAFN) hit 52F today at 1040' elevation in SW NH, unreal. It's just been an unmitigated torch. BDL got to 57F, unreal for late February. It seems the warmth has been overperforming even with 850s that don't suggest a total torch.

Not really. The average February monthly high is 57.4 in the current normals period. Februaries have had monthly highs ranging from 73 in 1985 to 44 in 1986. Also, 60% of Februaries have a monthly high of at least 55, and 1 in 3 reach at least 60.

Yeah, it's bulletproof right now though. Crusty hardpack but on these warmer days I can get a tour in after work just as the snowpack starts to set up. I haven't been skiing the trails at night because they are so firm it'll rattle the teeth out of your head. The little refreshers we have benn getting recently help even if it's just a .5-1". Here's the main artery of the trail network I maintain a few days ago after a 1" dusting. It's not even close to normal but it beats bare ground. Really hoping for a good dose soon. We'll see.

hey what are those, snowmobile tracks???

You have to forgive the inside 495 Boston crew Pete, anything west of Worcester is all the same to them.

Looks like some riding to be had actually. hmmmm, got parking near by?

Not really. The average February monthly high is 57.4 in the current normals period. Februaries have had monthly highs ranging from 73 in 1985 to 44 in 1986. Also, 60% of Februaries have a monthly high of at least 55, and 1 in 3 reach at least 60.

lol...last Feb we had a monthly high of...57.3F

Of course we had a thunderstorm that evening

You go 5 miles West of 91 and it can be 2 ft difference. We often park our trailer right off 91 in Whately (right next to one of the less glamorous stip bars you'll ever find, but it is accessible by sled so what the hell. They have beer.) and 5 miles west is incredibly different conditions. Some years it's so sketchy you are riding on almost dirt for 2-3 miles and then you are in 2-3ft snow pack in conway and goshen. Pete's another 25miles or so west of that.

Archived