CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's bulletproof right now though. Crusty hardpack but on these warmer days I can get a tour in after work just as the snowpack starts to set up. I haven't been skiing the trails at night because they are so firm it'll rattle the teeth out of your head. The little refreshers we have benn getting recently help even if it's just a .5-1". Here's the main artery of the trail network I maintain a few days ago after a 1" dusting. It's not even close to normal but it beats bare ground. Really hoping for a good dose soon. We'll see.

Why would I doubt you? You're the one who seems to doubt me.

I still have a solid stand of 3-4 inch deep "aged" snow on the 90% shaded north facing hillside at the 970 ft level. ;)

But the ground is 95% bare around here. It is still frozen solid at least...except maybe the top few inches in sunny areas.

Upper 40's here today. The max temp on my max/min thermometer for the period when I was away --Tuesday 2/14 -> Tuesday 2/21 was 41.7 so it doesn't seem like it was exceptionally mild here. The lowest was 13.1.

The little nooks and glens can keep the snow when a lot of surrounding areas are bare. You often see it up on weenie ridge in those areas shadowed by the mountain. I can be totally bare everywhere around and then one street will have like a 4-6" rotting snow pack, lol. Always strange to see the melting patterns.

hey what are those, snowmobile tracks???

You have to forgive the inside 495 Boston crew Pete, anything west of Worcester is all the same to them.

Looks like some riding to be had actually. hmmmm, got parking near by?

Yeah, snowmobile tracks but to preserve the skiing we're keeping the machines of them until we get more snow.

Elevation or pot? Or both?

Elevation of the crock pot?

We bust Pete's chops, but that notch can hold the snow in his local area.

W. Ma is filled with micro-climates. I don't doubt that Pete's area is still in full winter mode. 2 miles up my road there are still snow banks on the road.

Hell, my yard still has snow/ice (I'll post photos in the morning to document whats left before the imminent blue bomb thump) and a frozen beaver pond but it is quite anomalous to the rest of the immediate area. There are pockets of winter if you want to find them.

Archived