joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow - Part Deux

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any northern stream wave projected to amplify and develop into some coastal storm needs to be viewed skeptically. Several times this winter that solution has failed to pan out. The waves have stayed open and weak. That being said I favor the 2/1 to 2/7 period for some EC winter storm. The movement in the tele indices is something that always feels good to me. I'm looking for a quasi phased low with some lagging second low being the primary snow maker for the mountains. That's the pattern this year and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully the euro is too phase happy later this week, but it's a realistic solution. GFS is also nrn stream dominant which isn't out to lunch either. Perhaps today will feature guidance moving one way or another. The EC ensembles didn't seem to have too much spread, but the GEFS didn't either.

Not sure what to make of the upcoming system (day 5/6). Thought it might have been the Euros bias of holding back that ULL in the DW but that doe not appear to be the case. Looking at the indices, the NAO is pretty neutral, the AO is png and the PNA is still negative. I still favor a warmer solution for SNE given them but would not rule out the potential for some icing concerns in the interior. I'd like to see a more favorable NAO to be excited for anything meaningful in SNE. C/NNE looke more favorable imo for snow.

Next week's storm looks liek rain, unfortunately.

I'm glad there may be something to track upon my return (I land late tomorrow night). At least there are several wintery scenarios--some better than others--that can playout as this sets up in the next week. Of course, unfortunatel outcomes are also possibilities in which case I'll leave town again.

Looks like a chilly morning in SNE today--enjoy it. Meanwhile, will not even be able to watch football today becasue I'm going to be on a boat, :thumbsdown::snorkle::flood:

Not sure what to make of the upcoming system (day 5/6). Thought it might have been the Euros bias of holding back that ULL in the DW but that doe not appear to be the case. Looking at the indices, the NAO is pretty neutral, the AO is png and the PNA is still negative. I still favor a warmer solution for SNE given them but would not rule out the potential for some icing concerns in the interior. I'd like to see a more favorable NAO to be excited for anything meaningful in SNE. C/NNE looke more favorable imo for snow.

Yeah pretty much everything is on the table, but I sort of feel more rain for us..especially you and I. But seeing how guidance is so split right now, who knows at this point. The icing deal I could see for the interior in the usual spots. I think something will trend one way or another in the next 2-3 model cycles.

SO wha do we have? It seems like we have a 2-4 inch type snow event Thurday night into Friday and then either snow or mix over the weekend?

The first wave Thur nite is def riding out to our south so should ensure snow. The 2nd one looks like noone has a clue on what happens

Euro has Thu night as a rainstorm. It only has one system really...it has a weak clipper like system on Sunday that brings a dusting of snow.

SO wha do we have? It seems like we have a 2-4 inch type snow event Thurday night into Friday and then either snow or mix over the weekend?

The first wave Thur nite is def riding out to our south so should ensure snow. The 2nd one looks like noone has a clue on what happens

Euro is more milder with rain or interior ice. It doesn't have a follow up wave. The GFS is disorganized and OTS with the Thursday deal,and also did not have much for the weekend, but the ensembles hinted at something for later Saturday. It's complicated because of split flow right now.

Yeah pretty much everything is on the table, but I sort of feel more rain for us..especially you and I. But seeing how guidance is so split right now, who knows at this point. The icing deal I could see for the interior in the usual spots. I think something will trend one way or another in the next 2-3 model cycles.

I see some timing differences in the northern stream between the Euro and GFS. The Euro looks to be holding back the northern stream by about 96h allowing the southern stream to amplify more. The GGEM is doing the same thing as the GFS in holding back that enegy. Just writing this gives me pause to the GFS/GGEM solution.

Will--is that EC rain depcition region-wide? tia.

Yes...maybe some icing right at the onset or something...but its pretty much all rain on that run until you get to NNE where a bit more ice would occur. Its not worth really getting to detail-happy over though since its 120-132 hours out.

Yes...maybe some icing right at the onset or something...but its pretty much all rain on that run until you get to NNE where a bit more ice would occur. Its not worth really getting to detail-happy over though since its 120-132 hours out.

Thanks--lots of time to trend. Perhaps to wintry--perhaps to warmer rain.

SO what do we have? It seems like we have a 2-4 inch type snow event Thurday night into Friday and then either snow or mix over the weekend?

I agree, nothing this years phases this system slides out south of longisland, inch or two, weekend looks boring. (right now)

I see some timing differences in the northern stream between the Euro and GFS. The Euro looks to be holding back the northern stream by about 96h allowing the southern stream to amplify more. The GGEM is doing the same thing as the GFS in holding back that enegy. Just writing this gives me pause to the GFS/GGEM solution.

Yeah it could end up some sort of a compromise, or lean more in the direction of a certain camp, as what usually happens. Tough to say who would win at this point.

With the massive ridge in western Alaska having retrograded/dissipated and a big GOA low once again the dominant feature on the map, you'd have to think our recent pattern of verifying well below guidance and storms trending S is over for a while. Although the snowcover will help locally, the cupboards will be pretty bare in the source regions.

Let's see if we've established a rut where these storms run like they have the past few years. IE once we get a track they seem to kind of stay within that general area. Maybe this 2nd storm gets forced out too.

Archived