Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2012 Winter Banter Thread #2

yoda

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to worry about getting any likes for your forecasts this year. There are 2 inherent problems with them. #1 they've been pretty accurate and #2 we haven't got sh!t for snow this year.

Trying to gain wide notoriety solely via the internet is a slow and tedious process, especially when the market is already saturated with much more recognizable folks (whether they're good or not).

Each snow event gains me a couple of more Twitter followers :P Getting there a little bit at a time. Exclusives/first-on-scenes with severe/tropical stuff works wonders compared to trying to edge out other snow forecasters.

Trying to gain wide notoriety solely via the internet is a slow and tedious process, especially when the market is already saturated with much more recognizable folks (whether they're good or not).

Each snow event gains me a couple of more Twitter followers :P Getting there a little bit at a time. Exclusives/first-on-scenes with severe/tropical stuff works wonders compared to trying to edge out other snow forecasters.

After this winter i may be on the boards much more often in severe season. I hope you will be patient and try to help me learn because i know nothing about it at all. I am a complete virgin.

You realize the only way you're going to quickly gain widespread popularity is if you start lying, exaggerating, misrepresenting, and hyping. Don't know you personally but I'm pretty sure your moral compass will keep you on the slow and steady path to success. ;)

yeah that's how i came to find they have 44000+ followers.

Back when I worked there we went from 0 on Jan 1, 2010 to 35,000 by february, was really intense. Sure you think they're all weenies, and a lot of them really don't know what they're talking about, including Berk who is a great meteorologist and nice guy but a snow wisher indeed, they are nice people (some of them.) The students do all the work though Ian, thats for sure. Easternuswx is actually the co-founder, but he along with myself left there January 2011 as the home cooking style forecast deteriorated.

You realize the only way you're going to quickly gain widespread popularity is if you start lying, exaggerating, misrepresenting, and hyping. Don't know you personally but I'm pretty sure your moral compass will keep you on the slow and steady path to success. ;)

the problem is everyone and their dog makes snow maps and has a facebook forecasting page. even if you're a met it's hard to rise above the soup of crap. not to mention most people like hype because it gives them hope.

the problem is everyone and their dog makes snow maps and has a facebook forecasting page. even if you're a met it's hard to rise above the soup of crap. not to mention most people like hype because it gives them hope.

Yea, it's entertainment value alot of times vs the scientific side that the public latches onto. Heck, most people don't even really think about what goes on if offices like lwx. Not a big deal really but it is bothersome when someone has the power to make an absolute crap forecast and the next thing you know people are chatting in their office about the big snowstorm coming and then people like you and me are like "wtf?".

Not much we can do about it really. At least we have the mets and knowledgeable enthusiasts @ amwx to follow. There's probably no better place on the net for indepth and accurate weather info on a daily basis.

I am really jazzed about this event!!! I am going to get at least a quarter inch of rain tonight! The great thing about tonight's winter storm is that the rain should stick to all surfaces, resulting in excellent accumulations.

The storm is deepening, rain has started earlier than progged! I might get a half inch of rain out of this!!!

:whistle::sled::hug::santa::snowing::lmao::weenie:

Not me, I don't make maps, I did that for 30 years. Now I chuckle at other peoples maps. Did I miss anything while I was golfing. I see the 240 euro loves us. I imagine someone posted it like it's a lock. Heck Tracker probably printed it out and will put it under his pillow tonight. Otherwise, this coming event looks pretty lame. When you're reduced to hoping for the upper level system back in the cold advection giving you your best snow, that's usually not a winning hand.

Not me, I don't make maps, I did that for 30 years. Now I chuckle at other peoples maps. Did I miss anything while I was golfing. I see the 240 euro loves us. I imagine someone posted it like it's a lock. Heck Tracker probably printed it out and will put it under his pillow tonight. Otherwise, this coming event looks pretty lame. When you're reduced to hoping for the upper level system back in the cold advection giving you your best snow, that's usually not a winning hand.

Troll.

The Feb 15-20 period is the other side of the Heather A signal; maybe we can work our way to advisory snows! :axe:

I still say this is better than 2001-02. All of these small threats and possibilities with occasional signals that align for at the very least some potential for something greater.

The Feb 15-20 period is the other side of the Heather A signal; maybe we can work our way to advisory snows! :axe:

I still say this is better than 2001-02. All of these small threats and possibilities with occasional signals that align for at the very least some potential for something greater.

I'm glad to see some threats, hopefully one pans out. To me this is worse than 2001-2002 because I no longer remember it. This year is fresh in my memory.

I'm glad to see some threats, hopefully one pans out. To me this is worse than 2001-2002 because I know longer remember it. This year is fresh in my memory.

LOL

In that period of time, it definitely was erroneous. 98-99, 99-00, 00-01, 02-03, 03-04, 04-05 all at least had something to remember at some point in the winter (some more memorable than others of course). So forgetting 01-02 was a good move. :)

LOL

In that period of time, it definitely was erroneous. 98-99, 99-00, 00-01, 02-03, 03-04, 04-05 all at least had something to remember at some point in the winter (some more memorable than others of course). So forgetting 01-02 was a good move. :)

One of the advantages of being old is forgetting boring things but also just things. I used to be able to remember whether I had read a book within reading the first page or two. Now I can reread a book and really think it's good as I don't remember the details.

Archived