Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2012 Winter Banter Thread #2

yoda

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the GFS the control run is the a early version, lower resolution version of the operational with the same intial conditions that the operational run has. I suspect but don't know for sure that the euro control run is the same.

From Chris87:

It is a low resolution version of the operational ECMWF and the only member in the ensemble run which is not perturbed, I'm sure it is no where near close to the accuracy of any run of the GFS.

Usually the Euro control run looks very much like the operational run, but it is often a red flag when it looks very different from the operational run. This has been an indication to me in the past that very small changes can make huge differences in the forecast. I have seen this work both ways in the past. Sometimes the operational run starts changing to look like the control run and sometimes it is the other way around, but usually they look very similar. It is when they are very different that it makes you realize that things have the potential to be interesting.

From Chris87:

It is a low resolution version of the operational ECMWF and the only member in the ensemble run which is not perturbed, I'm sure it is no where near close to the accuracy of any run of the GFS.

Usually the Euro control run looks very much like the operational run, but it is often a red flag when it looks very different from the operational run. This has been an indication to me in the past that very small changes can make huge differences in the forecast. I have seen this work both ways in the past. Sometimes the operational run starts changing to look like the control run and sometimes it is the other way around, but usually they look very similar. It is when they are very different that it makes you realize that things have the potential to be interesting.

lol

Archived