• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Thursday night Special

Damage In Tolland

LOL that band plus what's before might verify noyes totals?

There isn't much before the band I don't think...that's going to be the main show and probably 90% of the total. There could be some weenie snow for a while before that, but its called weenie snow for a reason...its just light flakes that doesn't accumulate much.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't much before the band I don't think...that's going to be the main show and probably 90% of the total. There could be some weenie snow for a while before that, but its called weenie snow for a reason...its just light flakes that doesn't accumulate much.

Agreed. I'm guessing the radar will make it look like the precip is running into an invisible wall as it heads east just before it consolidates into that N-S oriented band, so areas getting the band will see little before and after while areas seeing the early precip will be less likely to glean the benefits of the band.

The band itself should be quite enjoyable, though. Yesterday's sim radar runs looked like it would not get going until it was east of here, but now it looks like we get a nice punch out of it.

Agreed. I'm guessing the radar will make it look like the precip is running into an invisible wall as it heads east just before it consolidates into that N-S oriented band, so areas getting the band will see little before and after while areas seeing the early precip will be less likely to glean the benefits of the band.

The band itself should be quite enjoyable, though. Yesterday's sim radar runs looked like it would not get going until it was east of here, but now it looks like we get a nice punch out of it.

2 mile to 1/8 for 15 mins TStorm style, maybe that too.

cAn you post what that shows for total qpf? I can never find that thing on their website

It only does 24 hour QPF and this is the 6z run from this morning... so you can't cover the whole event with one QPF map as 6z tonight it will be moving into eastern areas.

Overall QPF is pretty light, but generally 0.1-0.2" of fluffy snow. It really hammers western Maine tonight though.

Through 06z tonight:

After 06z...

a lot of models have a good burst swinging through.

that's a composite reflectivity product so it's kind of a weenie thing though.

either way, any snow > not snowing

Yeah definitely. I always forget that because up here we only use the composite radar so I've gotten used to what that usually translates to the surface in the mountains. Base radar up here is useless out of BTV. But when the composite goes 30-40dbz up here we usually get solid 1-2"/hr snows... not sure how composite radar translates to the surface in SNE.

MAZ002-192100-

WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHFIELD...CHARLEMONT...COLRAIN...

SHELBURNE

715 AM EST THU JAN 19 2012

.TODAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND

5 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHEAST THIS AFTERNOON.

Sky cover forecast a big time fail--overcast since about 8:00a.m.

Actually I was joking b/c I was surprised BOX was so low for CT...I didn't think the BL problems would be major.

There could def be a bit of a hole in the snow in central/southern CT before the band intensifies to the east....some of the guidance has been showing it, but its not always certain. These little snow burstscan be tough to predict...especially near where they really start to ramp up.

While people are talking about ern areas, we may have to watch for a mini jackpot in the se flow over CT and GC east into ORH and maybe RI.

Agreed. With ratios likely to be pretty good (12:1 at least, maybe 15:1 or even 18:1?) I'll be disappointed with less than 2" despite the BOX snow map.

We could be looking at a disproportionally high impact on roadways if it comes in as a wall between 5-6 pm.

Archived