Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Thursday night Special

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taunton ...

LOL 3" would trigger an advisory? They seriously have gone soft.

They really have. 3" of fluffy snow...you can get that from some snow showers. I love when you see BOX put out advisories for 2-4" or warnings for 4-7". Then you see ALB issuing Advisories for 4-8" lol.

I understand the criteria is lower but it's almost insulting to New Englanders who should be hardy and very used to snow. Especially SNE where some of the country's worst winter storms hit.

2-4" is the minimum for an advisory (for just snow) here in SNE. Right now this is a nuisance 1-3" with the potential to deliver 2-4"

They even said "a few places" not like widespread 3"+ amounts. After that advisory statement that said 1-2" of snow earlier this winter I wouldn't doubt widespread advisories are issued for this one.

It may be moving too quick to deliver those 4-5" amounts, but here is a playout of what to expect.

You can see by 00z we start to bring the snow into the area. There may be some weenie light snows ahead of the main band.

post-33-0-35682100-1326934075.gif

By 03z the lift is getting going and probably widespread light to mdt snow at this point.

post-33-0-31577500-1326934094.gif

Look at 06z, just east of BOS. At some point, this may develop one or two bands of mdt snow..maybe briefly heavy as this comes by. It's moving along pretty quickly so I think a general 1-3" should do it with maybe spot higher amounts of 3"+. This should have good ratios.

post-33-0-79870800-1326934117.gif

An advisory is >3" averaged over a zone in CT,RI,MA. But I don't remember them ever springing advisories for 2-4" of fluffy snow. 3-5" sure. But that widespread 3-5" is NOT happening.

It'll be 1-3" with the usual suspects racking up 5" of 20:1 fluff

I think I've seen BOX do advisories for 2-4" several times. The impact is just so low though with fluffy snow. Cars clear the roads just by driving by. I could see maybe if they were expecting widespread 3-4" with a couple hours of 1-2" rates during rush hour but this event is not worth it. The public goes apesh*t thinking a snowstorm is coming only to get 1.75" of broom snow.

I think I've seen BOX do advisories for 2-4" several times. The impact is just so low though with fluffy snow. Cars clear the roads just by driving by. I could see maybe if they were expecting widespread 3-4" with a couple hours of 1-2" rates during rush hour but this event is not worth it. The public goes apesh*t thinking a snowstorm is coming only to get 1.75" of broom snow.

Anything over 1" can limit vis and effect traffic in urban areas

Advisories for 2-4" are usually with sleet and freezing rain threatening too. This snow will accumulate on roads easily, but like you said, cars whip this fluff off the roads as they drive by. It's pretty cool driving behind someone leading through fresh fluff ... you can see eddies of snow trailing long behind the tires.

Archived