12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Thursday night Special

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Scott, how do you determine instability in a cold weather environment? Is it still the same parameters..aka CAPE, LI all that?

Well the instability in the winter time is nothing like what we think of in the summer. It's many, many times less. But, you can see how quickly temps decrease aloft. In fact, it's almost beyond conditional instability above 700mb...meaning air will just rise without the help of any forcing.

The NAM shows this as well. I would like the see more moisture above 600mb...but overall it looked kind of interesting. Don't get excited about thunder, but it probably implies some heavier bursts of snow, if this happened. It also doesn't guarantee everyone sees this, because there is also a chance this doesn't come together until it is more to the east of SNE. Usually in these situations, it's a narrow band of snow like 80 miles wide, embedded in more lighter and showery echoes.

post-33-0-93297900-1326844002.gif

Well the instability in the winter time is nothing like what we think of in the summer. It's many, many times less. But, you can see how quickly temps decrease aloft. In fact, it's almost beyond conditional instability above 700mb...meaning air will just rise without the help of any forcing.

The NAM shows this as well. I would like the see more moisture above 600mb...but overall it looked kind of interesting. Don't get excited about thunder, but it probably implies some heavier bursts of snow, if this happened. It also doesn't guarantee everyone sees this, because there is also a chance this doesn't come together until it is more to the east of SNE. Usually in these situations, it's a narrow band of snow like 80 miles wide, embedded in more lighter and showery echoes.

which lines which again? sorry

Yeah, looking MAULish

which lines which again? sorry

Well it depends on what product you use, but on that, the two important likes are the solid white and dashed white. Dashed white is the dewpoint. Solid white is the actual temp. The solid red is the actual temperature is the parcel rises to the LCL,(level at which clouds form) and then rises moist adiabatically.

While it takes a little getting used to, I know that the layer from 700mb to 600mb is borderline unstable because the lapse rate or rate of temperature decrease as you go up into the atmosphere, is pretty steep.

Well it depends on what product you use, but on that, the two important likes are the solid white and dashed white. Dashed white is the dewpoint. Solid white is the actual temp. The solid red is the actual temperature is the parcel rises to the LCL,(level at which clouds form) and then rises moist adiabatically.

While it takes a little getting used to, I know that the layer from 700mb to 600mb is borderline unstable because the lapse rate or rate of temperature decrease as you go up into the atmosphere, is pretty steep.

Thanks as always

yeah, had 0.2" when I left at 5am. No idea exactly how much fell since it was raining when I returned so I'm going to go with the 1.3" I measured in the parking lot at work. Gotta have some sort of number. Was hoping GYX would issue a PNS, but no sir.

I know, And i called in my totals in this am, Don't think i was the only one

Archived