• Created
  • Last Reply

From BOX

MONDAY NIGHT...

THE INCREASING SOUTHWEST WIND WILL BRING MILDER AIR AND INCREASED

ISENTROPIC LIFT. THE BEST COMBINATION OF LIFT AND MOISTURE COMES

BETWEEN 06Z AND 12Z...PERHAPS A LITTLE SOONER IN CT. WE WILL TREND

INCREASING HOURLY POPS STARTING AT 10 PM WITH CHANCE POPS AFTER

MIDNIGHT AND LIKELY POPS TOWARD MORNING.

SECOND QUESTION IS P-TYPE. FORECAST TEMPS ALOFT SHOW BELOW

FREEZING VALUES ALL LEVELS AT 00Z...BUT WARMING INLAND BETWEEN

850 MB AND 925 MB AND AT ALL LEVELS IN THE SOUTHEAST. THIS WOULD

MEAN AN INITIAL SNOW PERIOD IN THE NORTHWEST AND ALL RAIN ON THE

CAPE AND ISLANDS...BY THE END OF MONDAY NIGHT TRANSITIONING TO

RAIN IN THE COASTAL PLAIN AND A SNOW/SLEET MIX IN THE NORTHWEST.

THIS SCENARIO WOULD BRING UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW/SLEET TO THE

NORTHWEST BEFORE ANY MIXING LATE AT NIGHT.

WITH THE WARM ADVECTION...TEMPS MAY FALL A LITTLE MONDAY

EVENING BUT THEN SHOULD RISE OVERNIGHT.

BTV thinks the same thing, Dave. Noting the similarities between last Friday's system. Its a similar track with backside snows pretty similar as the low tracks for Vim Toot. Comma head in upstate NY then moves over northern VT with orographic enhancement adding to the situation. Looks like a good bet for 3-6" up this way with locally more depending on how well the upslope machine cranks it out.

WARM FRONTAL PRECIP INITIALLY

IN THE FORM OF SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION FROM SOUTHWEST TO

NORTHEAST LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. LOW LEVEL THERMAL

PROFILES WARM DURING THE DAY TUESDAY SUPPORTING A CHANGE TO A

RAIN/SNOW MIX TUESDAY AFTERNOON...BUT AS THE LOW TRACKS OVERHEAD

TUESDAY EVENING...PRECIP WILL CHANGE BACK OVER TO SNOW AFTER

MIDNIGHT AND SLOWLY BECOME MORE OROGRAPHIC IN NATURE. SOME

SIMILARITIES IN THE STORM TRACK OF THIS ONE COMPARED TO THIS PAST

WEEKS STORM WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A DECENT AMOUNT OF SNOW ACROSS

THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT IN THE COMMA-HEAD

DEFORMATION BAND...AND THEN IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY ON

WEST/NORTHWEST FLOW. STILL TOO EARLY TO TELL...BUT CERTAINLY

WORTH KEEPING AN EYE ON.

SURFACE LOW/UPPER TROUGH WILL BE EAST-

NORTHEAST OF THE REGION WEDNESDAY MORNING WITH NORTHWEST LOW

LEVEL FLOW DEVELOPING ON THE BACKSIDE OF THIS SYSTEM. THIS SHOULD

RESULT IN UPSLOPE SNOW CONDITIONS ALONG WITH COLD AIR ADVECTION

CONTRIBUTING TO BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES. GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO

BE FELT DURING THE MORNING HOURS. AS THE DAY WEARS ON...DRIER AIR

WILL GRADUALLY MOVE IN AND LOOKING AT PRECIPITATION TO DECREASE

IN AREAL COVERAGE AND BE MORE CONCENTRATED OVER THE HIGHER

TERRAIN OF NORTHERN NEW YORK AND VERMONT. COULD SEE A FEW INCHES

OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN AS A RESULT.

Yeah we will not have a high pressure system north of Maine throughout the event...what we have is some pseudo-CAD as the airmass is initially cold and the high retreating offshore...but the winds quickly go SW and that means the icing period should be fairly short lived...but a few hours of ice (and maybe some snow initially) could make it pretty nasty on the roads.

Yeah we will not have a high pressure system north of Maine throughout the event...what we have is some pseudo-CAD as the airmass is initially cold and the high retreating offshore...but the winds quickly go SW and that means the icing period should be fairly short lived...but a few hours of ice (and maybe some snow initially) could make it pretty nasty on the roads.

These suck ... it's synoptically moving the cold air out as the system goes west. I suspect that is why the QPF fields are pretty light through the translation of the system, because with the cold air bodily moving out, the the total isentropic lift locally is somewhat mitigated. It's tough to "over-run" an air mass when the the air mass your trying to overrun is moving right along in the same direction. That said ... there is some speed shear so it will attempt to warm up aloft first, and that's why we get anything at all.

For those feeling apoplectic about this winter, I guess you gotta be grateful for anything you get.

Looks to me like a band of light snow passes through the area for most around 36 hours with steadily rising temps. I agree with the pseudo-CAD assessment, also enhanced by what I suspect will initially be some exceptionally dry air. Some hygroscopic cooling will feed-back into that I suspect. But...temps will rise toward 34 -40eventually, with perhaps an isolated pocket or two in a the deeper interior protected low spots maybe holding onto borderline ZR. Cold front comes through and then some flashing of sorts happens - that looks a jolt cool back between 60 and 72 hours, west to eat. 40 to 20 in just a few hours. The UKMET at 12z had an ~96 hour weak impulse with some implicit light snow, and now this run has that two.

What is interesting to me overall is what I was mentioning to Scott a while ago; it seems as though despite the heights hell-bent on ending winter , the thicknesses seem to lag on that quite a bit.

Numerous superintendants got chewed out by the public Thurs morning. Maybe we get a delayed opening this time

Wish the low was a little more SE, and it looks like crap anyway

seems like an "OK" shot at a couple of inches of snow in spots tomorrow night.

GEFS were pretty darn bullish on 1-2" here tomorrow night...we'll see how it pans out. That would be cool to get as it would probably ensure we do not have much loss of snow pack for when the low passes west of us. Create a "barrier", lol...have to find weenie moral victories where possible in this winter so far.

Numerous superintendants got chewed out by the public Thurs morning. Maybe we get a delayed opening this time

Wish the low was a little more SE, and it looks like crap anyway

I was surprised at the lack of school closing thursday morning...esp since the DOTs were pretty unprepared for it...most were expecting not much. My forecast was too low, but it was higher than the TV forecasts...which generally had a coating to an inch here and not much more for you. But there were school buses all over the roads here Thu morning, and it was ugly because they didn't really get plowing until about the time they were out...there was like nearly 3" of snow before they started plowing.

I was surprised at the lack of school closing thursday morning...esp since the DOTs were pretty unprepared for it...most were expecting not much. My forecast was too low, but it was higher than the TV forecasts...which generally had a coating to an inch here and not much more for you. But there were school buses all over the roads here Thu morning, and it was ugly because they didn't really get plowing until about the time they were out...there was like nearly 3" of snow before they started plowing.

Same here and at work. Our building has a pretty steep and long driveway with a brook passing under it. Sort of "U" shaped. The busses coming back down the hill after dropping off students could not get up the other end. Very nasty. Lots of accidents

I had figured on ice, not snow, but they should have been prepared.

GEFS were pretty darn bullish on 1-2" here tomorrow night...we'll see how it pans out. That would be cool to get as it would probably ensure we do not have much loss of snow pack for when the low passes west of us. Create a "barrier", lol...have to find weenie moral victories where possible in this winter so far.

Any chance the barren CP sees any accumulation tomorrow night. The cold should be exiting from SW to NE, so I'd think NE MA could be in a good spot?

18z NAM was almost .3" qpf at ORH as snow

maybe 1-2 (3?) followed by some fzdz?

18z NAM was almost .3" qpf at ORH as snow

maybe 1-2 (3?) followed by some fzdz?

Euro not as bullish, so gives me some pause. But I think we should get measurable anyway before some light freezing rain...then eventually light rain as the low passes west.

Euro not as bullish, so gives me some pause. But I think we should get measurable anyway before some light freezing rain...then eventually light rain as the low passes west.

NWS has 37F here Tuesday and the 18z GFS looked pretty warm as the first low passing to our north in Ontario/Quebec looks to scour out a lot of the cold. Some of the local radio stations had 40s but that might be too mild for the microclimate here on campus.

NWS has 37F here Tuesday and the 18z GFS looked pretty warm as the first low passing to our north in Ontario/Quebec looks to scour out a lot of the cold. Some of the local radio stations had 40s but that might be too mild for the microclimate here on campus.

It should warm up as the low passes west...we don't have a classic CAD setup like last system. So everyone will torch into the upper 30s or lower 40s for a time eventually. But for a time some spots will hold onto a bit of icing...but it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I think the problem was they had to make the call at 5am and by that point there was a coating down and most forecasts were for it to change over by 7am so it would really only be borderline for high school buses. Hell, even you thought the changeover was coming at 6:30, then it didn't come until like 10am or so. In retrospect, not sure a delay would of helped because it was ripping here from 830-900. Then there was a period of drizzle then another brief period of snow before going back to rain again. The roads were pretty bad when I drove in at 8am. What also sucked was walking through the parking lot in 3" of water logged un-plowed slush at 2pm.

With regards to this Tuesday, I'm hoping we can pull a miracle 2-3" and can somehow get a cancellation. Not expecting it, but my worst midterms Tuesday so I'll take any delay I can get lol.

I think the problem was they had to make the call at 5am and by that point there was a coating down and most forecasts were for it to change over by 7am so it would really only be borderline for high school buses. Hell, even you thought the changeover was coming at 6:30, then it didn't come until like 10am or so. In retrospect, not sure a delay would of helped because it was ripping here from 830-900. Then there was a period of drizzle then another brief period of snow before going back to rain again. The roads were pretty bad when I drove in at 8am. What also sucked was walking through the parking lot in 3" of water logged un-plowed slush at 2pm.

With regards to this Tuesday, I'm hoping we can pull a miracle 2-3" and can somehow get a cancellation. Not expecting it, but my worst midterms Tuesday so I'll take any delay I can get lol.

I'm not sure if they still do this anymore...but back in the day in the 1990s, we sometimes would get a delay that would be "upgraded" to a cancellation. Thursday is the type of situation they would have done it in...a situation where its probably prudent to delay it and see if it gets better...and when it doesn't, just call it.

I had about 3 of those in the early to mid 1990s. I don't know if they still do that or not. Maybe its still an option but they just avoid it. Or coincidence.

I'm not sure if they still do this anymore...but back in the day in the 1990s, we sometimes would get a delay that would be "upgraded" to a cancellation. Thursday is the type of situation they would have done it in...a situation where its probably prudent to delay it and see if it gets better...and when it doesn't, just call it.

I had about 3 of those in the early to mid 1990s. I don't know if they still do that or not. Maybe its still an option but they just avoid it. Or coincidence.

I've never had it...but there are some towns that do it. It happened for MPM's daughter on Thursday I think I remember him saying.

We had that happen last year when I was a substitute teacher, and it happened a few times in high school. The delay gives them time to see if the roads will improve enough to have school. I went into town Thursday night to go to the bank and supermarket, and roads were pretty slick here in the Monadnocks. Conditions have obviously improved but a few slick spots remained as I drove back from watching the Giants game today.

00z NAM looks good for 1-2" across the interior...maybe even the interior CP in MA.

Too bad its the coldest of guidance right now...need the euro to get on board tonight. But yeah looks like 6z to 9-10z would be cold enough for snow. Probably too warm for morning commute problems as it seems to warm up by 12z except for maybe the Berkshires.

00z NAM looks good for 1-2" across the interior...maybe even the interior CP in MA.

It actually looks like the majority of the precip for the interior (at least by you) has the potential to be virtually all snow...by time the column warms significantly enough most of the moisture may be gone...with the first slug of precip anyways.

Second slug of precip may not really arrive until sometime mid afternoon or so.

Archived