CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 16/17 light icing and mix

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised Kev has not issued a HWW for tomorrow, great CAA day.

Lol. We got diddly squat for winds last week. Of course, we got a surprise 4+" of snow on Friday instead. I'll always take that trade.

Meanwhile, temp continues to tick up. Now at 32.8/32. Just returned from the dump. Horrible visibility (fog) here on the hill. Down on Rt 2, completely clear.

I love this in the BTV AFD... we've had quite the mixed bag today and roads are slush and ice packed. I was wondering if the ZR and travel conditions would warrant an advisory but BTV says this is the north country in winter so suck it up, no advisory lol.

"Nonetheless...it's January in the north country and those planning travel this evening should use customary safe winter driving methods and prepare for slick spots. "

Nice Mitch this looks pretty potent, LES enhancement?

Tomorrow's upslope event has some things for and against it. The wind trajectory looks almost perfect (WNW to ESE) to bring some streamers down this way, but we don't really have much PVA, instability, or widespread low-level wraparound moisture like we did last time. As such, I think this a LES streamer type upslope that tends to be a bit more localized than what we had on Friday. I think the best chance for upslope is probably from around 6Z to 15Z, perhaps 18Z Wednesday. Southern Greens look like the prime spot with a potential 3-4"+ snowfall, but this could just as well extend into the Berks with some 1-3" accumulations too.

Nice Kevin. You deserve it! Looks like a lot of oak trees around where you live. I have maples, and maples that tend to produce gazillions of helicopter seeds each fall and little seedlings to pull out every spring.

He had more before Halloween, lol. I have those Maples and Oaks, the worst however are the cottonwood which sends white gluey seeds with black oil everywhere.

He had more before Halloween, lol. I have those Maples and Oaks, the worst however are the cottonwood which sends white gluey seeds with black oil everywhere.

Yeah, those are the worst and produce "snow" in May or early June. My neighbor has one, but it's a young tree so it doesn't produce much beyond the occasional seed fluttering in the wind. Usually you find those near rivers or in wetlands.

Nice Kevin. You deserve it! Looks like a lot of oak trees around where you live. I have maples, and maples that tend to produce gazillions of helicopter seeds each fall and little seedlings to pull out every spring.

Thanks Mitch..Yup..it's an Oak forest in this area. My backyard which is forest is full of them..and there's 15-17 or so scattered around the yard. The acorns in hvy yrs are disasters..Last 2 yrs were brutal..this year there was none. I lost a couple in the yard or parts of ones in the snowstorm..and I have some red maples in the backyard that were totally destroyed. Needless to say..I'm not a fan of oaks.

It was nice to get snow last night. I feel like a 600 gorilla was lifted off my shoulders. Hoping to add a few more inches Thursday and more Saturday.

Yeah, those are the worst and produce "snow" in May or early June. My neighbor has one, but it's a young tree so it doesn't produce much beyond the occasional seed fluttering in the wind. Usually you find those near rivers or in wetlands.

We have five in the hallow. I am probably dropping them this year. I posted pics last year, actually had drifts.

In conclusion.... this event seems to have been a zero sum gain/loss. Got 1.8 inches, lost most if not all of that 1.8"..... Temperature finally spiked all the way to 45 very briefly around and after 11 PM, then promptly crashed back, 39 at midnight, 32 by 3 AM, 29 now at 4 AM.

Still a good snowvcover..no doubt gained moisture content in it for what that's worth.

Looks like 2.5

Archived