Dump Trump
New Year's Eve Threat

ski MRG

AHPCT

SINCE THE FLOW IS SO AMPLIFIED UPSTREAM...A SLOWER/MORE AMPLIFIED

TROUGH EAST OF THE PLAINS MAKES SENSE...THOUGH PERHAPS NOT TO THE

EXTENT OF THE DETERMINISTIC 00Z/27 ECMWF. THE 00Z ECMWF APPARENTLY

GOES TOO FAR IN DEVELOPING A DEEP CLOSED CYCLONE ACROSS THE

MID-SOUTH WHICH MOVES INTO THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS NEXT TUESDAY.

THE ECMWF HAS A BIAS OF BEING TOO SLOW/STRONG WITH SYSTEMS BEYOND

120 HOURS...SO IT IS LIKELY A BIT OVERDONE. HOWEVER....THERE IS

STRONG SUPPORT FROM ECENS ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS FOR A

DEEP...YET LESS DRASTIC...FULL LATITUDE TROUGH MARCHING EWD ACROSS

THE ERN HALF OF THE NATION SUN-TUE. THE RUN TO RUN CONSISTENCY OF

THE DETERMINISTIC ECMWF WITH THIS AMPLIFYING

TREND FOR EARLY NEXT WEEK...AND THE LONG TERM GOOD SCORING OF THE

ECENS MEAN...PERSUADED US TO LEAN HEAVILY ON THE ECENS MEAN AFTER

DAY 5.

HPC also is headlining possible snow even mid-south, mid-atlantic and northeast early next week.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z gfs. lol

I know right! And now the Nam joins the fugly camp, wow that is a disaster for sne, Scooter never liked it (nam). I really hope people are not getting there hopes up, the pattern is stable, the se ridge is stout and there is no blocking, wagons north trend continues.

I know right! And now the Nam joins the fugly camp, wow that is a disaster for sne, Scooter never liked it (nam). I really hope people are not getting there hopes up, the pattern is stable, the se ridge is stout and there is no blocking, wagons north trend continues.

You're right...I don't like the NAM as a model..lol.

I'm not writing it off as some reliable guidance shows the chance of it. It's important to get emotions and past trends from dictating your opinion because that can bite you in the arse if you keep doing it. Sometimes you have to be a terminator and have no emotional attachment when making a call or forecast.

That said, I know what the trend has been...but I wouldn't go overboard and call for a cutter.

You're right...I don't like the NAM as a model..lol.

I'm not writing it off as some reliable guidance shows the chance of it. It's important to get emotions and past trends from dictating your opinion because that can bite you in the arse if you keep doing it. Sometimes you have to be a terminator and have no emotional attachment when making a call or forecast.

That said, I know what the trend has been...but I wouldn't go overboard and call for a cutter.

I think he meant you did not like the looks of last night's NAM when you and Will almost came to blows...

I think we are starting to get into the outer range of the pattern change that I'm starting to think happens. 1/20 ish should be very different vs first half of the month.

OT, I sent an e-mail on Saturday to SV about the problem with the 12z ECMWF and got back one from them apologizing for the issues and that it has been resolved, Just an FYI

:lol:

can already notice it actually.

things look *a little* better after we pass the new year holiday. but still very weak, if any, blocking so we still aren't where we want to be.

The vortex comes right back later in the 11-15 day on the euro ensembles, but the vortex is a little damaged and getting hit by the Caspian ridge so maybe that will help a bit. I see no real sign of the nao going negative anytime soon..and think it will avg positive right through the month. Hopefully we can get a transient ridge or two.

Then why did you call for tonight's storm to trend south and give us snow?

The vortex comes right back later in the 11-15 day on the euro ensembles, but the vortex is a little damaged and getting hit by the Caspian ridge so maybe that will help a bit. I see no real sign of the nao going negative anytime soon..and think it will avg positive right through the month. Hopefully we can get a transient ridge or two.

What do you make of the weeklies with a below normal week 2 and 3?

Then why did you call for tonight's storm to trend south and give us snow?

that was a few days ago and I was wrong, I thought we could thread the needle and get some decent timing between the ss and ns energy, that was not the case and my thoughts were absolutely incorrect. I started to think with my weenie instead of my brain, all falll and early winter it was an easy guesscast for this amatuer, I wont get fooled again.

i think we could see a decent short-lived cold snap in there as some cold gets dislodged, but overall it's still not the way you'd draw it up to get repetitive / sustained cold and / or snow.

it is...what it is.

OT, I sent an e-mail on Saturday to SV about the problem with the 12z ECMWF and got back one from them apologizing for the issues and that it has been resolved, Just an FYI

I did the same and got an elaborate and personal e-mail explaining and apologizing. Good thing people wrote!

What do you make of the weeklies with a below normal week 2 and 3?

I just lost a nice post and don't feel like repeating it..lol.

Basically I think week 3 could trend warm given what I saw. It will come down to two things. The MJO and the AO. If the AO is strong, you have faster westerly winds and a ridge beat down.If it weakens and it might temporarily, then you have more amplitude. We also have a developing Caspian ridge too, which may help nudge the PV south and even split it. MJO may try to help out if you believe the GEFS, but the euro weakens it into the COD and goes back towards phase 4. I just don't see an overall pattern change especially if the euro is right and brings the vortex back to AK.

Archived