• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moving to New England

Organizing Low

In the first week of January, I will be moving to New England for the rest of the winter at least, land of the Freak.... that is Powderfreak. So yeah, not a huge move, about 50 miles South across the imaginary line, but I will officially become a resident of the NE forum.

I will be working in the Champlain valley, and will be taking temporary housing in St. Albans about 20 miles N of BTV. I figured this keeps me close enough to Canada for now, and not too much of a lattitude change. I won't be living in Montreal anymore, though I will only be 1 hour away. My parents are still in Ottawa.

If all goes well, I will likely be on for a permanent position at Fletcher Allen in VT come March or so. Some of you may recall that I previously lived in CT and NYC from 2001 to 2007 for school and first work out of school. Since I work in healthcare, it was hard to decide where to live since the job is portable, and believe me that was daunting trying to decide. For a while I thought I wanted to move somewhere warm maybe the Carolinas or Florida, but I was unsure, so I came back to Canada in November 2007, just in time for the epic 07-08 winter, the snow gods with a nice welcome back gift. :)

But over time, I have decided that New England would make a perfect home. I love the people, the geography, the outdoor activities, the weather and seasons and the sports scene and it is close to friends in NYC and SW CT and family in Canada and upstate NY. And to be honest, this board and forum has had an impact on my decision also, and for that I am thankful. In fact, longterm I can see myself ending up with the kooks out in Gods Country, MA :lol:

You are welcome to NE with open arms as one of the family. What exactly is the work you do?

thanks for the welcome Jerry....i work in pharm, hospital setting, so I was able to land the necessary immigration papers through the hospital as a sponsor. but part of the reason i left the US in 2007 is that i had some personal bumps in my life outside of work, i know i've discussed that with Ray a bit in the past briefly. but i am happy to be returning now.

Congrats on the move to the new Mid atlantic

:lol:

I will always remember this post, well done Rev.

Nice OL...congrats.

Thanks! :)

thanks for the welcome Jerry....i work in pharm, hospital setting, so I was able to land the necessary immigration papers through the hospital as a sponsor. but part of the reason i left the US in 2007 is that i had some personal bumps in my life outside of work, i know i've discussed that with Ray a bit in the past briefly. but i am happy to be returning now.

Thanks!

Cool. My dad was a pharmacist. The profession has changed greatly. I work in a hospital with clinical pharmacists playing a big and very important role. Let's get some snow in here!

In the first week of January, I will be moving to New England for the rest of the winter at least, land of the Freak.... that is Powderfreak. So yeah, not a huge move, about 50 miles South across the imaginary line, but I will officially become a resident of the NE forum.

I will be working in the Champlain valley, and will be taking temporary housing in St. Albans about 20 miles N of BTV. I figured this keeps me close enough to Canada for now, and not too much of a lattitude change. I won't be living in Montreal anymore, though I will only be 1 hour away. My parents are still in Ottawa.

If all goes well, I will likely be on for a permanent position at Fletcher Allen in VT come March or so. Some of you may recall that I previously lived in CT and NYC from 2001 to 2007 for school and first work out of school. Since I work in healthcare, it was hard to decide where to live since the job is portable, and believe me that was daunting trying to decide. For a while I thought I wanted to move somewhere warm maybe the Carolinas or Florida, but I was unsure, so I came back to Canada in November 2007, just in time for the epic 07-08 winter, the snow gods with a nice welcome back gift. :)

But over time, I have decided that New England would make a perfect home. I love the people, the geography, the outdoor activities, the weather and seasons and the sports scene and it is close to friends in NYC and SW CT and family in Canada and upstate NY. And to be honest, this board and forum has had an impact on my decision also, and for that I am thankful. In fact, longterm I can see myself ending up with the kooks out in Gods Country, MA :lol:

Congrats dude, Go bruins, You may even be able to go catch a game at the gaaaden

Welcome bro, you are one of my favorite posters, so even keel. Enjoy the upslope heaven.

thanks for the welcome Ginxxy

the sucky part is that i've never lived in elevation before, so i dont know anything about forecasting nuances, not like i know the microclimate so well here.

ah well....i'll just sit back and listen and try to learn from reading here, i'm sure PF, dendrite and others can lead the way.

The whole of New England is God's Country. Bienvenue a l'avance!

things ive learned: Jaffrey is a magical place......maybe someday?

Nice, Donnie!

thanks Ray, i've been talking about it for a couple years now it seems :lol:

looking forward to meeting you in the near future, if everything goes well with the new job.

Glad to finally hear the official announcement, Donnie :thumbsup:

I'm looking to go to the Bruins/Penguins game this April with this girl I know...only thing is tickets are quite expensive. If you can do it let me know!

too early for me to say Wiz, check back with me in later Feb, but otherwise just go ahead

Congrats dude, Go bruins, You may even be able to go catch a game at the gaaaden

yeah, im just happy i'll finally have NESN full time, and have bruins and Sox consume my life even more :lol:

defintely plan on making it down for some games though. havent been to the new Gahden.

Congrats on the move to the new Mid atlantic

LOL.

OL if you are working at Fletcher Allen, definitely find a place to live out in the upslope region. You WILL NOT regret it. At most you'll be 20-25 minutes away from BTV. Just ask J.Spin who's commute is probably 25 minutes to BTV area but he gets twice the snow.

Any weather weenie that moves into this area would be silly not to find a rental or house in the upslope zone. As this winter has proven, even in the toughest of times, the Green Mountain Spine will make it snow if synoptic storms won't. Its like getting a winter weather insurance policy that guarantees you at least some decent snow events during the course of a winter.

the sucky part is that i've never lived in elevation before, so i dont know anything about forecasting nuances, not like i know the microclimate so well here.

ah well....i'll just sit back and listen and try to learn from reading here, i'm sure PF, dendrite and others can lead the way.

Congrats OL, hoping you have a great experience on both professional and weather fronts. There’s no question that having the mountains here adds some complexity to the forecasting, but the great part is that it’s almost always a positive in terms of cold air, snowfall, or just interesting weather in general – yesterday’s event was a great example of what can happen. In terms of the nuances, just follow along with what the knowledgeable guys in the forum talk about and you’ll start getting a sense for the area’s weather pretty quickly. In fact, in the NNE thread PF, adk, and mitch are already talking a potential upslope event in the Sunday through Tuesday timeframe. You can also read the forecast discussions from the BTV NWS office; they really know their stuff about this area.

OL if you are working at Fletcher Allen, definitely find a place to live out in the upslope region. You WILL NOT regret it. At most you'll be 20-25 minutes away from BTV. Just ask J.Spin who's commute is probably 25 minutes to BTV area but he gets twice the snow.

Any weather weenie that moves into this area would be silly not to find a rental or house in the upslope zone. As this winter has proven, even in the toughest of times, the Green Mountain Spine will make it snow if synoptic storms won't. It’s like getting a winter weather insurance policy that guarantees you at least some decent snow events during the course of a winter.

Indeed, living to the east of town is certainly an option for anyone that works in Burlington; we’ve got numerous UVM faculty, staff, and even students that live out in the mountains, and the same goes for Fletcher Allen. From our location it’s about 25 minutes in to Burlington as PF said, but commutes as small as 20 or even 15 minutes are possible from areas in the mountains. It’s not quite as convenient as living right in Burlington and walking to work, but depending on one’s preference, the slightly longer commute is more than made up for by getting to experience all that the Green Mountains have to offer. Commuting by bus is also a very viable option depending on one’s hours, and especially convenient for folks at Fletcher Allen/UVM, since it’s one of the key stops on the commuter routes.

LOL.

Any weather weenie that moves into this area would be silly not to find a rental or house in the upslope zone. As this winter has proven, even in the toughest of times, the Green Mountain Spine will make it snow if synoptic storms won't. Its like getting a winter weather insurance policy that guarantees you at least some decent snow events during the course of a winter.

haha, awesome way to put it!!

it probably wont happen this winter as i am just taking temp housing until i get settled, but longterm i will need your advice on where to move to, for next winter. :)

I missed this!

Congrats!

I enjoy reading your posts, esp about John Lackey, aka Mana Mana

mana mana

Congrats OL, hoping you have a great experience on both professional and weather fronts. There’s no question that having the mountains here adds some complexity to the forecasting, but the great part is that it’s almost always a positive in terms of cold air, snowfall, or just interesting weather in general – yesterday’s event was a great example of what can happen. In terms of the nuances, just follow along with what the knowledgeable guys in the forum talk about and you’ll start getting a sense for the area’s weather pretty quickly. In fact, in the NNE thread PF, adk, and mitch are already talking a potential upslope event in the Sunday through Tuesday timeframe. You can also read the forecast discussions from the BTV NWS office; they really know their stuff about this area.

Indeed, living to the east of town is certainly an option for anyone that works in Burlington; we’ve got numerous UVM faculty, staff, and even students that live out in the mountains, and the same goes for Fletcher Allen. From our location it’s about 25 minutes in to Burlington as PF said, but commutes as small as 20 or even 15 minutes are possible from areas in the mountains. It’s not quite as convenient as living right in Burlington and walking to work, but depending on one’s preference, the slightly longer commute is more than made up for by getting to experience all that the Green Mountains have to offer. Commuting by bus is also a very viable option depending on one’s hours, and especially convenient for folks at Fletcher Allen/UVM, since it’s one of the key stops on the commuter routes.

thanks for all the solid info there JSpin. as i get acclimated to the area, i am sure i will have some additonal questions. i'm definitely open to commuting to work for snow purposes. ive always wondered though whether people who live at elevation get stuck at home due to snow removal issues on the back roads? so far everyone i've talked to in VT says that rarely happens because of course the removal crews are efficient and everyone is used to snow. right now though i am driving an old Cavalier, not exactly the best of transport in elevation snows :lol:

Congrats on the new position and welcome to Vermont. It's the other side of the state from here, but good ol' VT all the same. :)

Oh yeah, go Bruins. :weight_lift:

thanks for the welcome, and happy to join the Vermonters. :)

Go bruins.

thanks for all the solid info there JSpin. as i get acclimated to the area, i am sure i will have some additonal questions. i'm definitely open to commuting to work for snow purposes. ive always wondered though whether people who live at elevation get stuck at home due to snow removal issues on the back roads? so far everyone i've talked to in VT says that rarely happens because of course the removal crews are efficient and everyone is used to snow. right now though i am driving an old Cavalier, not exactly the best of transport in elevation snows :lol:

thanks for the welcome, and happy to join the Vermonters. :)

Go bruins.

welcome OL. QC is no place for a B's fan :D

FWD right? wouldn't sweat the winter roads to much, mud season though will eat that Cavalier up, lots of folks run for the woods, understandably too, but for every mile down that dirt road you drive when its frozen your gonna be mud runnin come April/May

save the car, invest in some quality driveway snow removal equip, add beer, and your friday nights out in he woods just got a whole lot more fun

enjoy

Nice.....and well timed with the conclusion of the NFL regular season so you can continue to watch the San Francisco 49ers return to glory from your new home......good luck on your move

welcome OL. QC is no place for a B's fan :D

FWD right? wouldn't sweat the winter roads to much, mud season though will eat that Cavalier up, lots of folks run for the woods, understandably too, but for every mile down that dirt road you drive when its frozen your gonna be mud runnin come April/May

save the car, invest in some quality driveway snow removal equip, add beer, and your friday nights out in he woods just got a whole lot more fun

enjoy

sounds like a plan, yeah this mud season i hear a lot about that, i know they had some impressive flooding in VT last spring.

as for the Bs comment, it was surprsiing- when I was in northern VT over the summer, i swear to god more people wanted to talk Montreal Canadiens than boston red sox baseball!

there a ton of montreal fans in N VT.......saddening. :lol:

Nice.....and well timed with the conclusion of the NFL regular season so you can continue to watch the San Francisco 49ers return to glory from your new home......good luck on your move

packing right now while watching football......moving tomorrow!

Go NINERS!

Archived