Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas (Sunday) Night - Windex Potential

Tropopause_Fold

<p>

Yep you just might get ALB afds like this oldie from 2006

Main area of concern from late this afternoon through the overnight period is upslope flow and enhancement of snow shower activity on west facing slopes of Taconics...southern Green Mountains and Berkshires. 500 mb low passes over southern Berkshires late tonight accompanied by strong vorticity axis. Fairly strong frontogenetic forcing aligns itself across southern Green Mountains at 06z dropping into northern Berkshires by 12z. Expect any single crystals will change to aggregates with dendrites fairly quickly as snow growth region drops to 2-4 kft by late tonight. Snow to liquid ratios expected to increase to at least 15-20:1 with a 3-6 hour period of at least 0.5 to 1 inch per hour snow rates expected. In addition northwest winds will increase to 10 to 20 miles per hour with gusts to 30 miles per hour thus blowing and drifting snow will be a problem. Have thus issued a Winter Weather Advisory instead of a Snow Advisory for this reason. Expect total accumulations by early Friday morning of 3 to 8 inches in advisory area. Snow activity is expected to dissipate fairly quickly Friday with passage of upper trough. Lake effect will lift into western Mohawk Valley and perhaps southern portions of western Adirondacks by late Friday afternoon although instability by this time becoming conditional.

I could see something like this happening, especially with the vort going right overhead. We first get the WINDEX squall line, which lasts 20-30 minutes, and then we get a few hours of upslope afterwards. The upslope is never as heavy as the WINDEX itself, but sometimes we can get a few hours of 1/2SM SN FZFG, or 3/4SM -SN BR under ideal conditions. Sometimes it shuts down quickly after the WINDEX though, especially if there's little moisture behind the front. Unlike the WINDEX which often consists of heavily rimed junk, at least in the beginning, the upslope is usually dendritic deliciousness as the snow growth region descends and the precip is no longer convective. We usually get at least a few of these events in any given winter, typically producing a 2-3" type deal here in the PSF area.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder if sun pm is more of a widespread snow showers deal with embedded heavier squalls. it's not a particularly narrow ribbon of low and mid-level RH and the qpf fields are pretty broad.

I agree Phil, and especially along the south coast and northeast along the coastal plain looks like some decent sw winds aloft with a damn impressive front coming through.......perhaps a period of light rain going over to snow then a nice robust squall to close it out?

wonder if sun pm is more of a widespread snow showers deal with embedded heavier squalls. it's not a particularly narrow ribbon of low and mid-level RH and the qpf fields are pretty broad.

ULL magic, some pretty cold temps aloft, good snow growth zone omega. One can hope it holds, at least it feel like winter for a day or two.

<p>

Yep you just might get ALB afds like this oldie from 2006

Main area of concern from late this afternoon through the overnight period is upslope flow and enhancement of snow shower activity on west facing slopes of Taconics...southern Green Mountains and Berkshires. 500 mb low passes over southern Berkshires late tonight accompanied by strong vorticity axis. Fairly strong frontogenetic forcing aligns itself across southern Green Mountains at 06z dropping into northern Berkshires by 12z. Expect any single crystals will change to aggregates with dendrites fairly quickly as snow growth region drops to 2-4 kft by late tonight. Snow to liquid ratios expected to increase to at least 15-20:1 with a 3-6 hour period of at least 0.5 to 1 inch per hour snow rates expected. In addition northwest winds will increase to 10 to 20 miles per hour with gusts to 30 miles per hour thus blowing and drifting snow will be a problem. Have thus issued a Winter Weather Advisory instead of a Snow Advisory for this reason. Expect total accumulations by early Friday morning of 3 to 8 inches in advisory area. Snow activity is expected to dissipate fairly quickly Friday with passage of upper trough. Lake effect will lift into western Mohawk Valley and perhaps southern portions of western Adirondacks by late Friday afternoon although instability by this time becoming conditional.

I'll never forget the night you flagged a WINDEX for me. I think I had just joined the board and you told me to watch for it. Sure enough we got an impressive thump, like 6". I've liked you ever since.lol

I'll never forget the night you flagged a WINDEX for me. I think I had just joined the board and you told me to watch for it. Sure enough we got an impressive thump, like 6". I've liked you ever since.lol

I remember that very well, a mesolow spun up over Lake Onatario almost a polar low with convection. I even got a piece of that. You will like this one. Like Will said this meets all parameters, for once it would be nice if the models can nail things correctly more than 24 out.

I remember that very well, a mesolow spun up over Lake Onatario almost a polar low with convection. I even got a piece of that. You will like this one. Like Will said this meets all parameters, for once it would be nice if the models can nail things correctly more than 24 out.

When was that one?

I still liked Jan of 2010 very much

last nights box discussion had up to an inch of snow likely sunday night lol and this morning back to slight chance lol...the discussions really do not match up with the zone forecasts these days anyway..

i almost wish it had not snowed in Oct this year so we could see how long we could go into the winter without measurable snow lol..bc of that stupid oct storm that really did nothing but ruin peoples lives in the valley for weeeks, we are still well above normal snowfall for the current snow season...

Archived