joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas (Sunday) Night - Windex Potential

Tropopause_Fold

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it will make for a nice snow base when it freezes back up. All this isn't going to melt... just isn't going to happen.

But I'll post some pics of winter this afternoon... it lives for now. Don't hate me because of my snow, lol.

It always surprises me that people think snow is so fragile. I may see you tomorrow.

Snowfall totals from BTV...

My 8.5" at 1,550ft matched the Trapp Family Lodge 8.0" at 1,400ft in Stowe. They also have 6.8" for Stowe village which sounds right based on my roughly 7" 4:45am measurement on the driveway, lol.

26DEC11A.jpg

Thanks for the map update PF – I didn’t send in my data to CoCoRaHS yet since I haven’t analyzed the liquid, but the plot the NWS put together looks good for our area based on what I’ve seen; the 5.1” of snow at our place looks to fit in perfectly in the second tier 5” - 7” purple shading south of the 7”+ fuchsia jackpot area. It’s always nice to have the Northern Greens on one’s side to rip the moisture out of the air with these clippers. Let’s hope for many more of these now that the base is getting established. These are the sorts of events that help to put the Northern Vermont resorts up with the big leagues of powder skiing. The very dry nature of the “Champlain Powder™” snow is a big part of it, but I consider another aspect to be the way that decent amounts of snow can fall in these clippers without the massive winds of huge systems that can deteriorate the snow quality. Sometimes the winds to get ripping with upslope events (the moisture does have to be transported in some capacity) in the higher elevations, but they don’t seem to be the all-encompassing type of winds that come in with Nor’easters. What were the winds like on Mansfield for this system?

What were the winds like on Mansfield for this system?

They were dead calm during the entire snowfall but it got a bit gusty today on the upper mountain with some blowing and drifting. This morning we were seeing some 40mph gusts but below 3,000ft its been pretty calm.

The type of calm that just allows the snow to build up on every little branch and twig creating that candy land forest type look...

Here it is. From yesterday.

Nice.

Too bad the night time portion couldn't perform a bit better, but two factors were working against it being really good...the low level lapse rates and the warmer BL which actually caused a pretty good echo to be rain and snow mixed here around 2am last night. But even then, it would have just been a quick intense snow shower and not a full blown 30-40 minute squall.

Windex events here are kind of like severe events...you need to have things line up pretty good to get them to perform across a large area, otherwise you just get pockets and isolated areas that get bursts of snow.

Nice.

Too bad the night time portion couldn't perform a bit better, but two factors were working against it being really good...the low level lapse rates and the warmer BL which actually caused a pretty good echo to be rain and snow mixed here around 2am last night. But even then, it would have just been a quick intense snow shower and not a full blown 30-40 minute squall.

Windex events here are kind of like severe events...you need to have things line up pretty good to get them to perform across a large area, otherwise you just get pockets and isolated areas that get bursts of snow.

Should have listened to you regarding low level lapse rates. felt like the warmth could have been overcome if the squalls lasted longer...

Archived