• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Silver Lining for Cold Lovers, Bad News for Warministas?

Deck Pic

I looked at our 5 torchiest Ninas since 1950

1949-50, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1998-99, 2007-08

Even based on 1981-2010 norms, the sample averaged 3.4 degrees above normal for DJF (FWIW, this post is about temps but the snow average was 9.9")

The average number of high temps of 39 or lower for the entire OCT-APR period for the sample was 16.6

1998-99 had the highest number at 25 days and 1975-75 and 2007-08 tied for the least at 13 days

So far this winter we have had 0 days

So I am taking solace and comfort in knowing that we will probably have double digit number of days with highs in the 20s or 30s.....And since warministas have become the new rage including CWG's target audience, I plan on gloating on every single one of these days that we have...Considering highs in the mid 40s have prompted warministas to make comments like, "Matt, why is so cold?", "ughh, I can't believe winter is here so soon", "Matt, this weather sucks, I can't believe how cold it is", even a day with a high of 37-39 will have maximum impact in ruining their day, and I anxiously await our 1st one.

post-66-0-00095900-1324515332.png

post-66-0-19146900-1324515341.png

Are you counting down the days for that to happen? :P

sort of. december averages about 7 in the past 30 yrs without factoring in enso. the longer we go without it getting horribly cold at least we know the shorter it is till it starts to warm up. though i guess nina can help cold linger later than usual.

sort of. december averages about 7 in the past 30 yrs without factoring in enso. the longer we go without it getting horribly cold at least we know the shorter it is till it starts to warm up. though i guess nina can help cold linger later than usual.

Nothing worse than a cold late march and april. Especially after a mild winter. This winter seems like a good year to burn our nerves with crappy patterns followed by a -ao/nao when it doesn't matter anymore this far south.

You can pretty much guarantee the spring will be wet and miserable. We will even get the token slop snow in March.

So I am taking solace and comfort in knowing that we will probably have double digit number of days with highs in the 20s or 30s......

I don't know whats going on at CWG, but aside from the legitimate troll value, at the current date this post is pointless. Seems to me thorough progression since early November clearly indicates this is going to be a back loaded winter, somewhat like a blend between 1978/79 and 2006/07.

After the late December peak, the AO showing signs of tanking for early January...

http://www.cpc.ncep....a/nao.sprd2.gif

Thats the NAO, isn't as meaningful to the total hemispheric state, directly, like the AO is as far as cold goes, because you can have a "fake" -NAO with a westward oriented polar vortex and we'll still torch in a Nina. I think the +AO should spike again into early/mid January before the tides begin to turn as there is no downwelling mechanism below 5HPA now....can't circumvent physics. IMFO it'll likely be a signle pattern changing storm later in January that'll set the ball rolling for us in February featuring repetative coastals.

Thats the NAO, isn't as meaningful to the total hemispheric state, directly, like the AO is as far as cold goes, because you can have a "fake" -NAO with a westward oriented polar vortex and we'll still torch in a Nina. I think the +AO should spike again into early/mid January before the tides begin to turn as there is no downwelling mechanism below 5HPA now....can't circumvent physics. IMFO it'll likely be a signle pattern changing storm later in January that'll set the ball rolling for us in February featuring repetative coastals.

The AO also showing signs of tanking after a late December peak, it's certainly on it's way toward neutral, and there is a good bit of spread (uncertainty) for the first week of January. It's not much but a move in the right direction.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.shtml

This weather is making me seriously depressed. I would rather it snow, but at the least I wish we could get cold.

Ian, you should see if the think tank will move to Atlanta. Seems more your type of weather.

I grew up in the desert of CA then TX. I just like warmth more than cold. I think I'm in the majority there. I like winter less here than CT because at least we almost always had decent snow there. It's pretty cold here in winter and it doesn't snow much usually and to me the only usefulness in cold is to produce snow. I don't have a problem with people who like cold and dry it just doesn't seem totally rational. Warm in winter isn't really warm anyway.

I looked at our 5 torchiest Ninas since 1950

1949-50, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1998-99, 2007-08

Even based on 1981-2010 norms, the sample averaged 3.4 degrees above normal for DJF (FWIW, this post is about temps but the snow average was 9.9")

The average number of high temps of 39 or lower for the entire OCT-APR period for the sample was 16.6

1998-99 had the highest number at 25 days and 1975-75 and 2007-08 tied for the least at 13 days

So I am taking solace and comfort in knowing that we will probably have double digit number of days with highs in the 20s or 30s.....And since warministas have become the new rage including CWG's target audience, I plan on gloating on every single one of these days that we have...Considering highs in the mid 40s have prompted warministas to make comments like, "Matt, why is so cold?", "ughh, I can't believe winter is here so soon", "Matt, this weather sucks, I can't believe how cold it is", even a day with a high of 37-39 will have maximum impact in ruining their day, and I anxiously await our 1st one.

post-66-0-00095900-1324515332.png

post-66-0-19146900-1324515341.png

Here's to you, Matt. This winter may just torch the whole time. That's the way that I remember some of the winters of the early 90's, but, in my know nothing opinion, I think this thing snaps just like 89-90 did. I lose nothing if I'm wrong, hope I'm right, and hope it happens at least by Jan 15. March is not a good winter month, regardless of the weather.

I don't know whats going on at CWG, but aside from the legitimate troll value, at the current date this post is pointless. Seems to me thorough progression since early November clearly indicates this is going to be a back loaded winter, somewhat like a blend between 1978/79 and 2006/07.

Then you didn't read the post or it went over your head because it make perfect sense.

The AO forecasts are for it to hit the skids as well. Having said that, I'm not a believer at all in forecasts of anything beyond about 5 days.

The AO also showing signs of tanking after a late December peak, it's certainly on it's way toward neutral, and there is a good bit of spread (uncertainty) for the first week of January. It's not much but a move in the right direction.

http://www.cpc.ncep...._index/ao.shtml

I struggled with statistics class, they passed me to keep me out of future repeat sessions but

the correlation index of 0.2844 is a pooch-a-whatamus.

The AO may mount a slight dip but there is no current reason to think it will sustain.

When Ian calls for a snowy January, perhaps he implies the final few days of the month, eh?

I struggled with statistics class, they passed me to keep me out of future repeat sessions but

the correlation index of 0.2844 is a pooch-a-whatamus.

The AO may mount a slight dip but there is no current reason to think it will sustain.

When Ian calls for a snowy January, perhaps he implies the final few days of the month, eh?

Probably weighted to the second half of the month but we can get a storm in a bad pattern better in January than Dec. Plus we're due.

Additionally, I'll give an 80% chance of at least 1 70 degree day in Feb,

I grew up in the desert of CA then TX. I just like warmth more than cold. I think I'm in the majority there. I like winter less here than CT because at least we almost always had decent snow there. It's pretty cold here in winter and it doesn't snow much usually and to me the only usefulness in cold is to produce snow. I don't have a problem with people who like cold and dry it just doesn't seem totally rational. Warm in winter isn't really warm anyway.

Where in Texas did you live? I'm originally from down that way... Of course, I love cold. The colder the better. 10* for a high on a semi-regular basis would be okay (i.e. no, I don't want to live in Saskatchewan).

Where in Texas did you live? I'm originally from down that way... Of course, I love cold. The colder the better. 10* for a high on a semi-regular basis would be okay (i.e. no, I don't want to live in Saskatchewan).

east of dallas -- rockwall/collin cty line

I think DC will see a pretty good period of cold...but its probably going to be later than I thought (yes, I know the '01-'02 analogs with the cold never arriving)...the stratosphere will probably respond more in early Jan than it did in late Dec...but there is still some uncertainty...we could def still see an '01-'02 where it never really changes, but I'm thinking that we see enough of a disturbance that a good 2-4 week period will occur. Maybe not totally unlike that period starting in Jan 2000 (not talking about that 1/25 storm either...just the pattern). I know HM is starting to get more bullish on a MMW and he is looking at this stuff every day...we'll have to wait and see. But I would still think a good pattern will set up. The first week of Jan looks brutal though for winter lovers...hopefully its fixed by the 20th...I would say the 10th, but these things often tend to take a little longer than we want them to ala 2007.

Archived